Off-season Battery Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-season Battery Charging

Have a 14 SAN230. Dual batteries with switch. Correct me if I'm wrong but they are wired in parallel so to charge both batteries with a tender over the winter I Hook positive lead to battery where both positives join and the same with the negative? That will charge both batteries? Or do I need to charge them individually? Does the position of the Perko switch matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure they're wired in parallel? On my 2017 SANTE 230, they most certainly are not. They are independent. You should contact the mechanic at your dealer and verify.

-Charles

Comment

If you have a perko with 1 / 2 / all / off you should be able to switch it to “all” and charge them both with the tender connected to one.

Comment

The batteries are not wired in parallel, but wired to each side of the 2-bank switch. They are only in parallel when the switch is in the BOTH position.

You need a 2-bank multi stage smart charger for best results. Switch should be off with this setup.

Comment

Originally posted by MLA
          The batteries are not wired in parallel, but wired to each side of the 2-bank switch. They are only in parallel when the switch is in the BOTH position.

You need a 2-bank multi stage smart charger for best results. Switch should be off with this setup.
          So leaving switch to both with a single charger won't charge batteries appropriately? Or two bank is just the ideal way to charge?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff88 View Post

So leaving switch to both with a single charger won't charge batteries appropriately? Or two bank is just the ideal way to charge?

It can, but not ideal, especially if one bank is dedicated cranking and one dedicated for house use. 2nd, its not recommended to leave the switch on, while in storage. Pretty much defeats the main purpose of the switch. if there are any parasitic loads, leaving the switch on meas the charger is not just charging the batteries, but feeding the parasitic draws.

You also dont want to use an old school "tender" as a layup charger. Will likely bake the batteries come spring.

Comment

I’d keep it simple and feel like some are overthinking things.
              The batteries are wired in parallel but through a switch. If wired in series we’d be talking about a 24V system.

Just buy and install a smart trickle charger and if a manual battery Perko type switch just switch to all or both.

A 1 amp trickle charger will overcome any parasitic loads as long as you turn off all accessories and ignition.

Hard wire it to one battery with their plug.

If using a smart isolating relay switch as a combiner then I’d just hardwire both batteries to a Y connector plug for the smart charger. It is a $10 accessory. Plug the charger in to the port on the Y.

I buy the battery tender brand products available on amazon.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by DW SD View Post
                I’d keep it simple and feel like some are overthinking things.
                I keep it even simpler than that:

- Batteries are taken out of the boat at winterization and stored in my basement.

- Once a month or so, I connect up a charger and top them off.

Comment

Charles-
                  that is simple. If you don't mind lugging batteries around.
                  In my case, my boat is 5 miles from my home in a boat barn I built. Looks like an open-ended quansett hut (30' x 13' x 13'h). I use a solar panel about 2'x2' and a smart charge controller to keep my batteries topped off year around.

I dont winterize as I try and use it a few times a month year around.

lots of (good) ways to skin this cat.

Doug

Comment

I "lug" them twice a YEAR, man. C'mon now. That's just silly.

Comment

Working...
                    X