Oil Extraction Pump Tubing Broke off in Dipstick Tube! Now what?o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Extraction Pump Tubing Broke off in Dipstick Tube! Now what?o

Just turned 25 hours on my new boat so it's time for the first service. I was going to take it to the dealer, but they are backed up 4 weeks so I decided to do it myself. Now wish I wouldn't have even attempted it.

I have a Topsider oil extractor that I have used several time in the past. I inserted the tubing in the dipstick tube and advanced it easily. I realized that I probably advanced the tubing in too far into the oil pan, but when I tried to pull back on it it wouldn't budge! I tried pulling a little harder with steady tension and the tubing broke off in the dipstick tube. Any ideas on what it could be hung up on? Of course I'm freaking out now fearing the worst.

I have a friend who owns a boat shop locally (not a Nautique dealer). I took the boat to them so they could see if they could get the tubing out of the oil pan and dipstick tube.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I could do if they can take care of it at my friends boat shop?
    Last edited by Evening Shade; 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM.
    2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Do a search but I've heard it happens. Unfortunately i believe you need to pull and open up the transmission.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Also,it's suggest to use 1/4 inch copper tubing to prevent this. Too late now but may help in the future.

Comment

It's a long shot but I would try medium gauge fishing wire with an ever so slight angle at the tip. Then go fishing, so sorry this happened to you.

Comment

Instead of trying to pump it out through the dipstick tube, use the oil drain hose that's already attached to the oil pan. You will need an adapter on your pump to connect to the end of this hose, but it will keep stuff like this from happening in the future, and it will let you get pretty much all of the oil out, unlike going through the dipstick.

Current Boats —> 2024 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2018 SAN 210 TE -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196 -- 2002 Ski Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Sport Nautique -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1996 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (Twin-Engine, 1 of 13) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4) -- 1980 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4)
          Former Boats —> 2023 Super Air Nautique G23 --
          2022 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2013 Super Air Nautique G232012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2005 SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 2003 Sport Nautique 216 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196-- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique --1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1999 Air Tique 176 -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE, 1 of 4) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
          NautiqueParts.com - Roswell Marine - Phoenix Trailers - SkiSafe - PCM Marine Engines - PerfectPass - C&S Marine - OJ Propellers - WakeMakers -- Swell Wakesurf

Comment

Originally posted by NautiqueJeff View Post
            Instead of trying to pump it out through the dipstick tube, use the oil drain hose that's already attached to the oil pan. You will need an adapter on your pump to connect to the end of this hose, but it will keep stuff like this from happening in the future, and it will let you get pretty much all of the oil out, unlike going through the dipstick.
            I don't even use an adapter. I just thread the extractor tube into oil drain hose. I get it far enough in where I figure it's at the lowest point and draw the oil out from there.

-Charles
            Last edited by charlesml3; 06-20-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blamey View Post
              Do a search but I've heard it happens. Unfortunately i believe you need to pull and open up the transmission.

Its in the engine not the transmission.

Comment

Many GM engines have a pressed, removable dipstick tube, seated with two rubber gaskets and a bolt to the engine. See 1Aauto 2000-2006 Tahoe dipstick tube removal. I'd call PCM and see which Chevy block they used and if it has a removable dipstick tube. Maybe try the oil extractor from the top of the tube, extreme suction may pull it to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Evening Shade

Its in the engine not the transmission.
                  I see that now.

Comment

yeah, I agree with above...you gotta find out how the dipstick tube is connected to the oil pan...Yeah, and next time don't shove stuff down there...I agree with jeff, adapter from end of oil extractor to your pump.

Comment

Originally posted by NautiqueJeff View Post
                      I was hoping that I wouldn't need the pump at all. With my old Malibu I could just drop the drain hose through plug hole in the bottom of the boat and it would drain by gravity, but the hose is too short to reach the drain hole in my GS20.

Do you know where I can get the adapter to fit on the drain hose?

Comment

Originally posted by Aebert2668 View Post
                        Many GM engines have a pressed, removable dipstick tube, seated with two rubber gaskets and a bolt to the engine. See 1Aauto 2000-2006 Tahoe dipstick tube removal. I'd call PCM and see which Chevy block they used and if it has a removable dipstick tube. Maybe try the oil extractor from the top of the tube, extreme suction may pull it to the top.
                        The dipstick tube is just pressed in and sealed with a sealer. My friend that owns the boat dealership is going to have his mechanic remove the dipstick tube and hopefully get the tubing out, but my fear is that it is hung on something in the oil pan. Fingers crossed.

I would like to take it to the Nautique dealer, but they are an hour away and are backed up 4 weeks in the service department, plus it's supposed to rain all week.

Comment

My guess is you had the engine warmed up before trying to change the oil correct? I almost had your same issue a few years ago when I ran the boat on the river and then changed the oil at the marina... The plastic tube began to melt in the dipstick tube. I got lucky and it came out, but it was questionable for a minute. I've began using the drain tube and connecting the suction pump to it from now on.

Point is... It may not be stuck on anything inside the engine but melted and stuck inside the dipstick tube. Hopefully they can get you taken care of with minimal effort and back on the water.
                          Jason
                          All black 2003 SANTE
                          -- Southern Fried --

Comment

This is what you need...notice i said "need" not "want"...This works and not fancy...Take off plug from remote drain hose, screw into bushing...Bushing attaches to adapter, and adapter attaches to drain pump...Works perfectly.

Get over your fancy pants stuff...warm up oil somewhat and works like a charm.

Click image for larger version  Name:	oil change pump.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	525959Click image for larger version  Name:	oil change fittings.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.1 KB ID:	525960
                            Last edited by scottb7; 06-20-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evening Shade View Post
                              Do you know where I can get the adapter to fit on the drain hose?
                              You don't need an adapter. Simply take the brass cap off and thread your oil changer tube into the drain hose. I did this for 17 years on my 99 Air and once now on my 230.

-Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X