VDrive Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDrive Fluid

I just picked up our "New to us" 2001 SAN and the VDrive light doesn't go off over 1200 rpm. It dims down, and sometimes goes off but not always. Have a feeling that the fluid is low. Where do I check the VDrive fluid? If low what type ATF fluid to I put in? Is there a service manual available for this year anywhere?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using PLT Nautique mobile app

You can download the owners manual from the manual/brochures section on this website. It describes how to check and change your v-drive oil. Not sure if they changed anything on your 2001 model but on my 2000 SuperSport the access panel is under the stern seat center cushion. It has a dipstick that pulls out. Should be checked after running for a few minutes and allow to sit for a few more minutes. Uses SAE #30 weight oil. I had a problem with water getting in the oil and had to replace two o-rings on an inlet hose/fitting. If it looks milky it has water in the oil.

Comment

Yep... straight grade 30 weight motor oil. You need a small funnel to fit the fill port (I think).

Comment

I took these today. I think one of them is the transmission dipstick. The other one is the VDrive but not sure where a dipstick is. Any advice?

Picked up Sexton transmission fluid and SAE 30 Non Detergent oil for VDrive. Just need to figure out how to check it.

Thanks. I'm a total noon at this type of thing.

Comment

Better photo of the VDrive.

Comment

Solonab congrats on the boat! The Walter is the V drive, the filler cap is the one that looks like a bottle cap and hex head underneath. Mine takes 1 quart when empty. The dipstick for V drive should be on the far right from filler/breathing tube. Your transmission is behind the V drive and should have a curled dipstick. To drain the V drive you'll have to get on the other side of the Walter sticker down low. Use a plastic one quart container to drainb V drive if needed. Google Walter V drive for better schematic, think your V drive dipstick is the quarter sized tab on top. Good luck and enjoy the boat.

Comment

On closer inspection of 2nd pic, your transmission dipstick is at 12 o'clock from the rusted engine mount bolt. To check tranny fluid- in water, boat in gear forward then reverse warmed up then check fluid level. It probably takes Dex/Merc but check your specs. To change get a vacuum pump and attach 1/4 inch copper tube to plastic pump tube and insert in dipstick tube.

Comment

Thank you. I tried pulling in that today but seems it must be stuck. Will put some muscle I to it. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Where did you get 1/4 copper tubing?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely no idea if it is copper tubing or what.... This was pretty much a barn find. Some guy had it sitting out for 2 years in the Texas sun, after buying it and never got around to playing with it (guess life got in the way). I am still going through this thing trying to make heads or tales. Runs great - 375hrs on the motor, but that little red light next to the keypad wont go off and this seems to be a common issue. I tried to get it into a PCM service dept around here to do a check, but they are like 5-7 wks out. Don't want to let it sit for that long - too eager to play with it, so trying the DIY method. This Blog has been amazing help.

Comment

After checking the oil level and state of oil you're still getting the light? I had this problem in mine after confirming oil was good. Eventually the light never came on. The oil pressure sender had just failed in the v drive. Super easy and cheap fix for a new one. Probably less than $20 and 10min to replace

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

No haven't topped up yet. I couldn't figure out where to check the levels, but now I know. Just have to figure out how to pull up that dipstick. Mine wasn't budging yesterday. Will let you know how it goes. Got some SAE30 Non-Detergent Lube Oil to top it up with today. Checking the ATF (DEXRON) fluid today too. Other than that the boat looks rough (better everyday) and runs great. Next stop once this is done, is "Tune City" my wife is going to kill me once we get to that.

Comment

Got to work on this today. Oil was loaded with water. Looked like coffee ice cream melted in the VDrive and was WAY over the recommended height. Anyway went over to auto parts store and got a pump. Pumped out all the old watery SAE30 and replaced it with new oil. Did this 2-3 x until it came back out clean. Popped it back in the water and ran it. Light goes off now and the VDrive is quieter. Issues solved. Guessing guy before me left it in the rain over the last 2 years and it flooded on the trailer. Now going to go over the motor and make sure no other issues like this are present. Thanks for all the advic.

Comment

Comment

Good job getting the dip stick out. Mine was also stuck and I ended up cracking it while prying it out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X