Amsoil Filter Cross Reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amsoil Filter Cross Reference

Hey fellow nautique owners, if you are like me then you only want the best stuff for your boat. I recently got off the phone amsoil tech support to find a filter that matches the ford FL-a1 filter. Amsoils EAO filters go down to microns of filtration and still have extremely high efficiency (>95%).

EAO15 is the model, it runs about $19 dollars retail from amsoil, dealer price is around $15.

i think next oil change i'm going to give that filter and their new 20w-40 Synthetic Blend Marine oil a try. i won't run the oil over 50 hours but i still wonder if boat club people could get some more life out of it with used oil analysis. amsoils 10w-40 full synthetic marine oil would like be the best bet for an extended drain interval. ****, maybe i'll use their new marine trans fluid in my transmission and V drive unit too, have the whole thing running amsoil fluids.

i figured i'd just share as the amsoil website does NOT list any filters for cross referencing the ford filter. probably a little steep for some of us, but I run amsoil in all my cars and have loved the results.

Send a sample of your oil to Blackstone labs. They will test the oil and recommend use life duration. 50 hours, even though I know the MFG recommendation, seems very little life. If you translate to miles in a car, that's probably only 1500 miles (30 mph avg speed for a car) where most new vehicles recommend 10k (or more) oil life.

I recently tested two samples, for two cars I have. One is a hotrod and the other my regular driver sedan. Neither sees 10k miles / year. More like 5k to 7k each. After one year and 14 months respectively, I changed the oil and sent samples to Blackstone. In each case, they encouraged me to extend my oil change intervals and retest. (not sure I'll retest with them give the costs), but the results were validating.

The tests cost about $30 each and will also offer info about how your engine is performing and if there is any abnormal wear.

Note, oil additives, at least in part, are consumed by time. One of their jobs is to protect the engine from corrosion while sitting (I think to make sure the oil doesn't become acidic). So one of their tests is the amount of additive package.

Doug
    Last edited by DW SD; 03-13-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Actually, if you guys can fit a 6.75 inch tall filter, the EAO26 is slightly bigger (taller) version of the EAO15 i posted earlier. 25w-40 is what i plan on recommending to clients down here

Comment

Does the Amisol oil have the required amount of Zinc for the flat tappets used on the Ford Engine. Looking in the website I don't see any mention of Zinc and I'd rather stick with oils that are know to work on the flat tappet Ford's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Oddly coincidental, I read today in the PCM manual (for a 2006 ZR6) that they do not recommend full synthetic. Not sure about other engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Blamey View Post
            Does the Amisol oil have the required amount of Zinc for the flat tappets used on the Ford Engine. Looking in the website I don't see any mention of Zinc and I'd rather stick with oils that are know to work on the flat tappet Ford's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
            They do, its called the Z-ROD line of oil. they make a 10w-30 and a 20w-50, the first perfect for winter or up north and the second perfect for down south. my dad runs it in his 1980 Jeep CJ7 with a 304ci V8. it runs like a top. let me know if you need help getting it, it can pay to become a preferred client, especially if you have a lot of toys like me

Comment

Originally posted by jkallen21 View Post
              Oddly coincidental, I read today in the PCM manual (for a 2006 ZR6) that they do not recommend full synthetic. Not sure about other engines.
              this has been debunked so to speak. they just do not recommend extended drain intervals JUST because you switch to synthetic oils. most of the decent stuff is semi synthetic blend or full synth anyways. the amosil 10w-40 and 25w-40 are perfect for winter and summer respectively. if you get the biggest filter, you should eb able to add about an extra quart. this, along with used oil analysis could extend drain intervals to double i would guess. (100 hrs)

Comment

I'm not sure of miles to hours comparison. Most of the time I my vehicles I'm running at or under 2000 rpm but in the boat it is mainly 3000 plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by swankster; 07-05-2017, 10:42 PM.
                2013 G23 450 with NSS (175hrs) and still have the original prop
                2010 SANTE 230 343 (280hrs)
                pre 2010 - various open bow boats and jet skis

Comment

Originally posted by swankster View Post
                  I'm not sure of miles to hours comparison. Most of the time I my vehicles I'm running at or under 2000 rpm but in the boat it is mainly 3000 plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  most people consider it something like this: 100 hours on a boat is the equivalent of 10,000 miles. most people consider 1,500 hours on a motor to be close to needing a rebuild, if it hasn't already, for what ever reason. i don't think this is going to be the case with the PCM GM blocks we see in the 2001(?) and up motors. these are small blocks, and as long as you take care of them, they should be able to do 2000 hours no problem.

250 hours is like 25k miles.

you are right that RPM has a lot to do with it, these boats idle for a long time and run at sustained highway like RPMs for hours at a time. that why when you figure 50 hours on a oil change is probably something like 5,000 miles at 90 miles an hour and several hours of idling. that oil change interval doesnt seem to sound so low. ****, in 50 hours of operation at idle RPMs (640) times 60 times 50 hours is 1.92 million revolutions. and that's just at idle! so you figure 5 million rotations per oil change at cruising/surfing speed.

then we talk about load! i run my boat with ballast nearly 90% of the time, and that's just like adding a trailer full of water to push. Synthetic and syn blends is where its at solely because of the extra protection provided. dead dinosaur oil is just going to have so much less protection if you go over the interval. with a high quality full synthetic, i would not worry about going 10 or even 20 hours over the interval if i just couldn't change it.

the amsoil 25w-40 is syn blend, but its also JASCO or military certified for marine applications. which is a really big deal for things like corrosion resistance and boats that spend a lot of time in storage.

Comment

Working...
                  X