No announcement yet.

OIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I emailed shell about their current Multigrade Rotella T. They think it's sufficient for flat tappet motors.

Here's part of the response, "...the zinc content in Shell Rotella T Multigrade Oils has been reduced slightly from about 1400 ppm to about 1200 ppm. Even at these slightly decreased levels, Shell Rotella T Multigrade Oils still have at least 50% more of these anti-wear additives as most current gasoline-only engine oils. These levels of zinc have historically offered good protection in flat tappet applications."
    Previous:
    2011 Super Air Nautique 210
    1994 Sport Nautique

Comment

Sorry to drag this thread on, but I also asked them about the Rotella T straight weight. It looks like the Multigrade has the same zinc as the straight 40.

Here's the response, "Our single grade products, including Shell Rotella T Oil SAE 40, also contain about 1200 ppm zinc."
      Previous:
      2011 Super Air Nautique 210
      1994 Sport Nautique

Comment

thats good information to know, thanks for posting your research!! no one in my town had straight weight rotella so thats another reason i went with the VR-1, AND shouldn't my boat be faster now since VR-1 is called "racing oil?" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TRBenj
          Originally posted by 78LS2
          Originally posted by greagin
          i have a 95 snob and have found the valvoline vr-1 sae 40 to be my best option after much research as it does have the zddp additive. just my .02.
          I think all oils have the ZDP additive. I say think because I don't have knowlege of every single oil out there. Anyway, it has been around since the '40s. However, there are many different molecular structures / formulas of ZDP / ZDDP out there, so simply having one does not mean you are good to go.

Regarding the Royal Purple 15w40, I checked it out today on their website, and it is the old diesel spec. Thus, it is not the latest and greatest.
          Correction- all oils used to have ZDDP. The latest API specs have taken aim at the heavy metal additives and reduced the allowable ppm in an effort to increase efficiency and reduce emmissions. Diesel oils have been the latest target of these reductions (within the last year or so) due to the particulate filters that are being installed on new vehicles.

Long story short, engine oil in general is becoming more slippery. This is great for new-tech motors (all roller) as it increases efficiency and reduces emmissions. This is not good for our old-tech flat tappet 351w's because we need the oil to stick to the metal-on-metal contact patches between the cam and lifters. If you have a flat tappet motor, read oil labels carefully- if an oil meets the new SJ spec, it has reduced heavy metals. Diesel oils arent a sure bet anymore- offroad and racing oils are where to look. Rotella-T straight weight (30w and 40w) and Valvoline Racing VR1 are 2 oils that Ive found to be good choices for my Ford-powered Correct Crafts. I prefer the VR1 because it offers multiweights (10w30 and 20w50).
          Sort of right. The new ZDDPs are designed to retain phosphorus Thus, the phosphorus stays in the oil, and doesn't go out the exhaust and hurt the emissions equipment. And ZDP / ZDDP has not been removed from all new oils. If that were the case, the GF-5 spec regarding acceptable phos limits would not be in the air / up for debate.

Also, lots of oils are reducing additive levels for reasons other than emissions; they cost money. For example, why pay 10 bucks for additives if you can tweak the formula / treat rate, and pass the required tests with 9.30 worth of additives?
          \'03 196 LTD

Comment

if any of you guys want
            i have the BIBLE TO MOTOR OIL
            a very good read!
            kind of old 2003 but explains everything

HUMAN BUILT = HUMAN FIXED

CERTIFIED MARINE/PWC TECHNICIAN
            switchbait.com

Comment

Working...
            X