Hot Engine/Full Bilge in 206

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Engine/Full Bilge in 206

As we were pulling in to trailer the boat after skiing, the hot engine light came on. I lifted up the engine cover and the bilge was basically full (the drain plugs were in). I am guessing I blew a hose somewhere.

1. What's the best way to trouble shoot this?

2. Did I likely also lose the impeller?

3. What's the likelihood I also damaged the engine? It got up to around 250 degrees.

Thanks,

Jack

RE: Hot Engine/Full Bilge in 206

250?! Are you sure? I'm afraid that it's the end of your engine... Perhaps you are lucky. Don't start your engine anymore without doing an oil change first!! Then try to find the water leak while sucking water from a basket.
    230 with ZR6 running on propane

Comment

Don't give up on the engine yet. Fix the water problems and change the oil/filter.

You might want to run a wet and dry compression test. If you start using the engine, be sure to watch for oil consumption. The rings will be the first thing to go. You might pick this up in a compression test...which would test the head gaskets and piston rings.

I'd have to think about this more...but I don't think you will increase the damage by running the engine after you fix the cooling problem. Just be sure there is no water in the engine oil.

Comment

The engines computer will go into a "safe" mode if the engine gets too hot. The computer also uses a different temp sensor than your gauge. Like it was said, check your oil for water, and then you can run your engine. Do you have a flushing adapter so you can run the boat in your driveway? hook that up, and run the boat at home, look for leaking water.
        You might have some damage on your exhaust system, if the engine cooling water was going into the bilge, instead through the engine, and out the exhaust system.

Comment

Another good idea is to pull the spark plugs before trying to crank it if it got that hot.

Comment

Re: RE: Hot Engine/Full Bilge in 206

Originally posted by GC
            Another good idea is to pull the spark plugs before trying to crank it if it got that hot.
            Good idea. Do that and before cranking, squirt about 5 squirts of oil from an oil can into each cylinder. This might help prevent further scoring on the cylinder if the compression ring was crystallized. Not that the oil will not fix it, but might prevent having to bore the cylinders if running it causes additional damage.

AirTool

Comment

Thanks for all the posts. it was a split hose leading to the impeller. I didn't want to take any chances, so I took it to the dealer (Buxtons) to run a diagnostic. For a nominal fee, they fixed the problem, inspected the remainder, ran a computer diagnostics to determine if the engine was damage, and then water tested. While the temp spiked, it didn't do any damage to the engine. Oil was perfect, impeller intact, and computer said no damage to engine. So I'm good to go. Thanks Buxtons!

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jjackkrash
                ..... it didn't do any damage to the engine.

Jack
                The small block chevy is a die hard.

I still suggest watching your oil consumption. Get a good read on the dipstick level and check it at the end of each outing.

Comment

Originally posted by AirTool
                  Originally posted by jjackkrash
                  ..... it didn't do any damage to the engine.

Jack
                  The small block chevy is a die hard.

I still suggest watching your oil consumption. Get a good read on the dipstick level and check it at the end of each outing.
                  That's good advice.

Comment

The Buxton's run a Great Dealership.

Comment

Working...
                    X