No announcement yet.

How to move a hydohoist on the ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move a hydohoist on the ground?

Does anyone know how to get this beast up off the ground and onto the trailer?

I just bought a used 4000 lb. HydroHoist that is stored under a carport at a small farm. All of the arms and guides have been disasembled, leaving the hoist consisting of the pontoons and the basic frame, which probably weigh 800 to 1000 lbs, according to the owner. He moved it there by floating it onto a uhaul tandem open trailer and then wrangling it to the ground with a bunch of guys. Not so bad going that direction. Now I need to wrangle it up onto a trailer. its sitting on flat 2 X 4s on the ground. My question is, does anyone have any tricks on how to do this? :shock:
    GT

RE: How to move a hydohoist on the ground?

is there a tractor with a front end loader on this farm? i'm assuming not, so here is my idea:

jack the front of the pontoons up with a couple jacks and 4x4's, slide ramps underneath the front of the pontoons, back ur trailer underneath the ramps, unhook from the trailer, hook up to the pontoons with a chain or strap (i'd hook to each corner of the frame forming a Y-shaped harness) and proceed to drag the pontoons up the ramps and onto the trailer..................... probably much easier said than done, but that would be my first move...

Comment

PVC pipe

1. I would get 2 large floor jacks
      2. jack both ends up and put jack stands ( or some type of saw horse type) under each end about 18-24" inside of the ends and about 6" taller than the trailer
      3. Back trailer up to one end and set it on a 6" piece of PVC pipe sch 40.
      4. as you slowly back the trailer up the pvc will help it roll on to the trailer, you might need a few pieces to do it. Make sure the other end is secure and will ot fall off the jack stands.

This is how we moved a friends a couple of years ago. It will take 3 guys to do it. Where is it located? I live just N of you on texoma.
      2016 G23 H6
      2014 G23 550
      2013 G23 450 (Great boat)
      2008 230 Team-ZR6- ACME 1235 ( back in a Nautique again)
      2005 Malibu LSV 23 wakesetter (Real Dumb Mistake)
      2000 SAN ( Loved that boat)
      1998 Air Nautique ( our first boat)

Comment

RE: PVC pipe

Well I would get a couple of cases of beer ice it down, have seven of your strongest buddies come over and ride out with you. Put four guys on each side, grab the frame lift it up and but it on the trailer. Might have to stop and put some gas in your buddies cars for driving out, but you'll be done a whole lot faster than jacking it up and so forth. But if you don't have that many buddies willing to help then, it's going to be a little tougher.

might get by with four or six guys depending on how heavy it is but if you can pick up a conner by yourself pretty high then it shouldn't be too heavy to move just bulky.

Comment

Re: RE: PVC pipe

Originally posted by bobchris
          Well I would get a couple of cases of beer ice it down, have seven of your strongest buddies come over and ride out with you. Put four guys on each side, grab the frame lift it up and but it on the trailer. Might have to stop and put some gas in your buddies cars for driving out, but you'll be done a whole lot faster than jacking it up and so forth. But if you don't have that many buddies willing to help then, it's going to be a little tougher.

might get by with four or six guys depending on how heavy it is but if you can pick up a conner by yourself pretty high then it shouldn't be too heavy to move just bulky.
          This is probably the easiest way to do it. 800-1000 lbs should be pretty easily moved by half a dozen guys.

If thats not an option, a comealong should be capable of pulling it up onto a trailer.
          1990 Ski Nautique
          NWCT

Comment

RE: Re: RE: PVC pipe

Use a pontoon trailer!

Comment

RE: Re: RE: PVC pipe

scissor jack trailer for pontoons!
              If you don\'t do it today, you will be one day older when you do!!

Comment

Moving hydro hoist

Great feedback. I had actually pictured getting a motor hoist and lifting one end high enough to clear the trailer and then stacking cinder blocks under it. I think the jack stands outside the outside width of the trailer instead will work well, and maybe cross boards to hold it up. The trailer is 24" high, but the engine hoist ought to have enought throw to get it up over that edge. I'll use the PVC idea to roll it up the ramp on the trailer, and may even attach a come-along to the front of the trailer to ratchet it up the ramp. I've got a week to improve the plan, and will have 3 guys there to help.
                Thanks to all,
                GT :grin:

Comment

RE: Moving hydro hoist

well take all that you think you'll need but it might be lighter than you think so try lifting it with the four of you first as that's going to be the easiest and fastest way to get the job done.

Comment

Working...
                  X