2003 Sport 216 Limited restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Sport 216 Limited restoration

Well, I got it home and got a good jump on it.
    I’ll post more daylight pictures tomorrow but here are
    some from tonight. Interior is all removed and cleaning has begun.
    new trailer tires, battery and more pressure washing the upholstery
    In store for tomorrow.

what is the best way to go about getting the correct seadek for this model? Is me measuring for
    a template the only way to go? I was hoping they had one already.

so far the few cushions/seats I’ve cleaned are 100x better but not perfect.
    anyone have any pointers on how to get the deep set in stains out of the white?
    ive been using marine 31 a magic eraser, a scrub brush and pressure washer.

trailer towed home great about 150 miles. All the lights and brakes worked!!

Attached Files

Ok...you'll have to humor me on this but dude ya gotta learn how to take a landscape pic. Or rotate those vertical's 90 degrees.

I trust we're in this restoration for a while and my chiropractor bill for neck work is gonna be special by the time this boat is done.
    2004 206 Air Nautique Limited - Black with Vapor Blue (family style)
    1997 Masters Edition Nautique - Zephyr Green - gone (amazing ski wake)
    1982 Mastercraft Powerslot - gone (a primitive but wonderful beast)
    Bellevue WA

Comment

I honestly don't know how you'll do Sea Deck without some serious gel coat work as boats with Sea Deck typically have an inner liner that the Sea Deck is applied to. I know Jeff and others have retro fitted boats that had carpet with Sea Deck but I believe they have sanded then Gel Coated the floor before applying the Sea Deck but I could be wrong. I'm very interested to hear the answer and see the project to see if this would be something worth considering for my boat someday.

As to the stains.... A lot of times sunlight will fad or remove the stains. A lot of times the stain is embedded deep in the vinyl itself, such as the dreaded pink mold and is near impossible to remove. I've heard of people using a vinyl dye if the material itself is in great condition but just stained. I had these guys come out to fix a deep scratch in a seat on my previous boat and it looked about a 7 of 10. I could see where it was repaired but if you didn't know where it was you'd probably miss it.

https://www.fibrenew.com/markets-we-...r-restoration/
      Last edited by bturner; 09-22-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

How did you get your back seat out? I have a 2003 air 216 and have yet to figure out what is holding the seat in. Did you have to take out the false panels in the truck to get to some bolts to remove? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

dkimball- you need to remove the backrest first and then use the latch cable that releases the back storage area to remove if I remember correctly. I will check when I get home on my notes.

Comment

Jeff, could you fill me in on pointers as to how i would go about installing the seadek? i would like to get the process started sooner than later so i can get going on it while all of my interior is out and getting reupholstered.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JakeB1985 View Post
              ... while all of my interior is out and getting reupholstered.
              Did you decide the existing upholstery wasn't recoverable? I recall there being some hope that at least some of it might be saved... ?
              Bellevue WA

Comment

It looks 100x better. But not 100%.
                I’m still up in the air as to what I’m going to do.
                I found a local shop that does good work for a very reasonable price. $1000 for the whole boat. ( which I am Leary about, but have seen their work and it looks good)
                they did a few of the seats on a coworker of mine’s Nautique and they turned out really nice and have held up.
                another option I’m considering and I know most of you on here will probably cringe, is to use a quality marine vinyl dye/paint on just the white areas.
                the black and gray coloring is 100% perfect. So I’m thinking that keeping the original OEM seats and just “refinishing” them might not be bad? I’m hesitant to do this as there is no going back, but worst case scenario is I get the recovered.

I’ll post pics later

Comment

These show the before and after my first clean. I’m going to do one more final clean to see if I can get them a little better.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Get a stiff bristled brush attachment that goes on the end of a drill. That is going to be most effective in getting interior clean along with cleaner. Totally awesome from dollar tree works well. Also as others said let them sit outside in the sun.

I think you’d be crazy to get it reupholstered unless you cant deal with the vinyl as is. I think it looks fine. No way the quality is going to be anywhere near oem for $1000 on the entire boat.

I’ve seen that boat before. Shame it never got used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    2001 Pro Air Nautique
                    GT-40, Stargazer, 1200 lbs auto-ballast

Comment

Agree with xlair... That interior looks PLENTY good enough to use the boat as-is next summer...at least to make sure the engine/mechanicals are squared away. Once you can trust that it runs well, you like it, and it suits your family well...then dump money into cosmetics.

Comment

Xlair, do you know Bill?

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune442 View Post
                          Agree with xlair... That interior looks PLENTY good enough to use the boat as-is next summer...at least to make sure the engine/mechanicals are squared away. Once you can trust that it runs well, you like it, and it suits your family well...then dump money into cosmetics.
                          Yeah...this seems pretty smart. If there's no rush, roll with what you got for now. Be thoughtful on the cleaners you use....you could kill what you have with harsh chemicals.
                          Bellevue WA

Comment

That $1K can be used for many more things you're going to encounter next. Save your money and you can always do interior later. I think it looks good after what you accomplished.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want to take cleaning to the next level check out this link on the MasterCraft TT site by Sodar.....

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=66817

I have the same Porter Cable set up with the brush and it works wonders for deep cleaning without all the effort. Cleaners may very but the tools and process he employs are solid.

Comment

Working...
                              X