My Journey with my 2005 SANTE. 1 Year in the Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Journey with my 2005 SANTE. 1 Year in the Making

So I purchased this 2005 210 1 year ago today, and it was a mess when I got it, but I was in love, and my fixing / upgrade wheels starting turning. Here is that story to this day, and there will be more to come.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0197.jpg Views:	37 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	604304
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0198.jpg Views:	32 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	604305
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0199.jpg Views:	32 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	604306
    The lower portion of the gel-coat was oxidized severely, and i wasn't a big fan of the decals on it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0203.JPG Views:	32 Size:	77.5 KB ID:	604307
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0216.jpg Views:	32 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	604308
    The interior and sun-pad were completely shot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0247.JPG Views:	32 Size:	31.3 KB ID:	604309
    But i did get it out on the water for a good test. I bought it without a water test, so anything could have happened here. Put it on the water, and it fired right up. No leaks to mention, and took it out for a spin. To my surprise, almost everything worked. I did replace all the gauges with Byerly Editions ( they were cheaper and I think look cool ) before I took it out, so I could monitor everything. I noticed the center ballast tank fill pump wasn't working, but other than that everything was good. so I loaded her up, and took her to the barn to start the restore.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0338.jpg Views:	32 Size:	86.5 KB ID:	604310Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0339.jpg Views:	32 Size:	70.9 KB ID:	604311
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0341.jpg Views:	32 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	604312
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0340.jpg Views:	32 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	604313
    I gutted the interior and sent it off to be recovered locally.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0343.jpg Views:	32 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	604314
    Once in the garage, I started reworking everything I could. I put a new steering cable in. Fixed the ballast pump that wasn't working, started taking the decals off. I also started working on the new stereo and putting the interior back in once it was finished.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0380.jpg Views:	32 Size:	84.5 KB ID:	604315
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0378.jpg Views:	32 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	604316
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0373.jpg Views:	32 Size:	95.2 KB ID:	604317Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0374.jpg Views:	32 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	604318
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0405.jpg Views:	32 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	604319
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0409.jpg Views:	32 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	604320
    Finally, while not done, it was time to get it out of the garage, and into the water for the summer. I had it out for memorial day weekend, and pretty much every weekend after that. I got as much of the oxidation off as I could, and put a good cleanup on everything. It would have to enough for the time being.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0422.jpg Views:	32 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	604321
    Some decent picks from the usage during the summer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0546.jpg Views:	32 Size:	34.9 KB ID:	604322
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0496.jpg Views:	32 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	604323
    I ended up tearing my left bicep playing softball in July, so i wasn't even able to board or surf during the summer. the first month out i was still trying to get the boat setup done, and only the fiance and myself were available most days, so no spotter to try. The bicep tear just delayed things a bit more.

Fast forward a few moths, and i was able to use my arm (somewhat) again, so i decided to wet sand the boat on the trailer, as much as i could. I only did 2 stages, 1000 then 1500, but it made a huge difference.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0744.jpg Views:	32 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	604324Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0743.jpg Views:	32 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	604325

At this point the campgrounds at the lake were pretty much shut down, so i brought the boat back to Columbus for some local fun on Alum Creek. We got some surfing and tubing in the last weeks of summer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0831.jpg Views:	32 Size:	67.1 KB ID:	604327
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0826.jpg Views:	32 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	604328

I decide at the end of the year it was time to do a few last upgrades before putting the boat up for the season. Fresh are Exhaust, and 800# Ronix Sacs in place of the rear tanks.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0816.jpg Views:	32 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	604329Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0825.jpg Views:	32 Size:	108.1 KB ID:	604330

After a long winters nap, I pulled the boat from storage, and started the next round of fixes / upgrades. I pulled off the original tower ( sold it on via a post on here ) and then took the boat off the trailer. Time to get some trailer repairs done. I wasn't planning on painting it, just redoing the bunks, and touching up here and there. I started to sand some of the flaking paint, and decided to just go all the way. WHY NOT??? https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...er-restoration

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1474.jpg Views:	32 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	604331
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1559.jpg Views:	32 Size:	108.9 KB ID:	604332

Trailer is now done, and it looks pretty good for a first time painter. Time to start on the boat itself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1477.jpg Views:	32 Size:	37.3 KB ID:	604334
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1473.jpg Views:	32 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	604336
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1476.jpg Views:	32 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	604335

As I mentioned above, I did a small wet sand, and now it was time for the real thing. I used 400 on the real bad spots, and then 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. After that i used a cutting agent o the buffer, a polish, and then finally a wax.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60770533108__CA7D59B4-6A5E-42D4-AE7C-6810FC21927B.JPG Views:	33 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	604339

Click image for larger version  Name:	60764985136__806D5952-F578-40A3-9A2F-0744BA03CFFB.JPG Views:	32 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	604338

The boat is back on the trailer now ( as of Sunday Night ) all polished, waxed and cleaned up. Next up, time to install the Aviator Pro Tower. I have it sitting in the box ready to go. I also will be installing new Racks and Swivels, Night Wave Lights for the rear, and relocating my subwoofer. Finally i will be cutting out the bow cooler, and installing the 750 bow sac. I will post everything as it goes.

WHAT A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stevemo14; 04-07-2020, 07:03 PM.

Really nice boat man

Comment

Did you replace the carpet as well?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post
        Did you replace the carpet as well?
        I did not replace the carpet. After removing the interior, i power washed everything that was left, and the carpet actually turned out to look pretty good. I am debating about pulling it out next winter and doing SeaDek as others have, but i don;t know that I will. I would like to think at some point i will stop dumping $$$ into this boat and call it done, but we all know how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevemo14 View Post

I did not replace the carpet. After removing the interior, i power washed everything that was left, and the carpet actually turned out to look pretty good. I am debating about pulling it out next winter and doing SeaDek as others have, but i don;t know that I will. I would like to think at some point i will stop dumping $$$ into this boat and call it done, but we all know how that goes.
          Let me know how your SeaDek goes if you do it......I held back on it as well due to the gel coating........great job on the boat restoration!

Comment

Nice project and it turns out really good. Like the look of the boat.

What is the reasoning of switching towers?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

230 with ZR6 running on propane

Comment

Originally posted by Laptom View Post
              Nice project and it turns out really good. Like the look of the boat.

What is the reasoning of switching towers?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk
              I have always liked the new 2 point towers, and thought it would give the boat a different look. I also want the tower to be black. So I figured why not make it easier and just get what I really want in the color I want. Also, the REV 10’s made the original tower sway side to side more that I would like. I assume that they were a little more than it was designed to take.

I am going to mount the tower as far back as I can, my limiting factor will be the Bimini. I want it to hang over the top of the windshield just a few inches. I mocked it last weekend and I think it’s going to end up pretty much in the middle between the end of the windshield and where the back seat starts.

I plan on doing the fiberglass reinforcement Friday, and installing the tower Saturday. We will see how it goes. I always set time goals, but they rarely work out, LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

great project. did you wetsand by hand?

Comment

I did wetsand by hand. Used a sanding block where i could. I ended up sanding through 4 of my fingers to the point of bleeding. Not fun, but it turned out pretty good. I will know more when i get it out in the sun to do touch ups now that its back on the trailer.

Comment

What size are those speakers in the bow? And did you replace the head unit as well? Or just the speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JAppler View Post
                      What size are those speakers in the bow? And did you replace the head unit as well? Or just the speakers.
                      The speakers in the bow are 6.5" They went in the stock location, and in the stock opening. The picture that shows just the wires popping out is because the upholstery shop forgot to cut them out.

Here is what i installed for the Stereo

New Rockford RX5000 Hideaway Head Unit / Dash Remote / Transom Remote
                      2 Rockford Amps ( P1000X5 for Boat, P600X4 Bridged for Tower Speakers )
                      6 Wet Sounds Revo 6 Interior Speakers
                      2 Wet Sounds Rev10 Tower Speakers w/ LED Rings
                      Wet Sounds WS420 EQ
                      12" Kicker Solo-Baric Sub ( Going to be replaced with a Revo 12FA mounted on the side of the observers seat in the pass-through probably this weekend )
                      LED Controller

Comment

Now that the weekend is over, i got another update.

Started on, and finished installing the tower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1599.jpg Views:	93 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	605027

And I got the MAG Swivels / Board Racks installed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1614.jpg Views:	94 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	605028

I got the wiring sorted, and the REV 10's mounted. Sans the speakers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1617.jpg Views:	95 Size:	57.4 KB ID:	605029

So I don't know if i'm happy with the way the REV's mounted. I have fixed clamps, and the only real spot I could put them has them angled slightly down, and a good amount of outwards tilt. I'm considering getting swivel clamps so I can make them sit straight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1619.jpg Views:	98 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	605030
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1620.jpg Views:	97 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	605031
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1618.jpg Views:	97 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	605032

What do you guys think? Should i live with it, or drop the money on the swivel clamps.

Last edited by Stevemo14; 04-14-2020, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Nice work on that old beauty. Def a labor of love. At this point get the swivels...whats $300 haha

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

I second that. Get the swivels. If it annoys you now, it’ll annoy you forever.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Nice work, it really makes me want to buff mine while it's here at my house. It's literally the last thing on my list though, it's not like I can go partway with that once I start. And it's a LOT of time as you well know.

Comment

Working...
                              X