No announcement yet.

At GoSurfAssist......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you provide a profile shot with them retracted? Would this impact your ability to sit on the platform? Would you hit your legs on it?

Also interested to hear what the ballast set up was^^^^^^

Comment

Okay everyone. Finally home....here is the details.
      Ryan & his Tech (Jason) were awesome!! They are meticulous about their work & really want it done right. I strongly recommend letting them do the install for anyone that wants their system. Now, they normally don't let the "customer" sit around their shop & watch. So be expecting to drop it off!! But they let me hang around so I could "document" the install so I could pass on to everyone here what exactly needed to be done. Once the install is complete they'll do a "lake test" to fine tune everything & make needed adjustments & then show you how everything works when they're ready. They know exactly what needs to be done to weight the boat correctly & make adjustments to the Surf Tabs so the system works without flaw.

The install was some what complicated at first but mostly because they had not done a Nautique yet. As Ryan put it "not a DIY'er for someone that has never done it or not mechanically inclined on a higher level". The install is not like the install video on their website that's mostly for "flat" transoms. Now that I've watched them do the install part I could do it but I'm glad I decided to make the trip to let them do it instead of doing it myself (which was the original plan). If you don't mind the drive I would strongly recommend letting Ryan & his Tech do it. Now that they've done a Nautique they know what needs to be done.

First off, Ryan told me that the "speedo fin things" were going to have to be moved & that I was going to need to upgrade the factory ballast system. Their system loves weight! The more you can weight your boat evenly the better. So, They upgraded the rear lockers with the 1000lb. ballast upgrade kits from WakeMakers. Great kit! Comes with everything you need to do the install. The hard tanks have to come out & put Sumo 1000's in each locker. They used the factory carpeted board that sat on top of the hard tanks to make the locker floors flat & smooth. With a little bit of trimming with a skill saw they laid right in. The pump for emptying the tanks/bags lays in the little "compartment" underneath the board so there's no pressure or weight on it when the bags are full. Now, when these bags are full they completely fill the entire lockers & the swim platform will be a couple inches under water when sitting still. At first I was like "holy sh*t" when I saw the platform under water. But it's definitely worth it!! The belly tank needs to be filled & they found after some testing that a 500lb sac needs to go upfront in the bow. Which I'm going to call WakeMakers & see about the piggy back bow ballast system & install that myself. Since the hard tanks were taken out the tank gauges beside the drivers seat will not work anymore. So, I'm going to move the belly tank gauge over to the right (since it will still work; even with the piggy back system) and make a trim plate to mount the Surf Assist control panel over the cut-outs where the rear tank gauges would have been. There's really no other place to put the control panel on the dash paneling area that would look good (to me). The "speedo fin things" were moved to the outside of the Surf Tabs (as you can see in the pictures). To do this just remove them from the transom by unscrewing them & also unscrew the small "cap" that covers the hole where the tubing comes through the transom. This will allow you to pull more tubing through to get the length you need when moving them. Then just mount them in their new location. Then you're going to need to extend the tubing for the starboard side "fin" inside the engine compartment & then plug it back into the "data box" that's mounted on the back wall(transom). To extend the tubing just go to a local auto parts store and get a "plastic barrel coupling" for vacuum hose and about 3" of vacuum hose (the same diameter of course). All the electrical wiring can be done up under the dash/steering column for the control panel module & GPS antenna. It's mostly plug-n-play with the wiring harnesses you just need to find a 12 volt source when the "all on" switch is on & then a ground.

That's about it. Not much else to it. As you can see. The system works & works great. Unfortunately the water temp was VERY cold & I didn't get to try it. But I can't wait to get on the water & try it myself this summer.
      Last edited by SurfingCane; 02-26-2016, 03:28 PM.
      KEEP
      CALM
      AND
      WAKESURF
      ON

Comment

rustang,

when the Surf Tabs are in the "stowed" position they do stick out a little bit (maybe about a half inch or so) from the straight sides of the swim platform just before the round/curve starts to the middle center. I would definitely be careful when climbing out of the water or just sitting with your legs in the water on that area of the platform. I've already made it a point in my mind when on the water this summer to tell everyone with me to only climb out of the water from the middle center of the platform & NOT the sides. I even mentioned something about it to Ryan during the install & he jokingly said that once they are mounted that they are solid and if they were trimmed down could be used for a "step" to climb out of the water. BUT, I'm not taking any chances!!!!

KEEP
        CALM
        AND
        WAKESURF
        ON

Comment

How much does this surf system run? I have a 2000 PAN

Comment

$4k for the complete system. Check out their site www.gosurfassist.com
            KEEP
            CALM
            AND
            WAKESURF
            ON

Comment

Cane do you have any updated newer video of your wave and you and your crew riding it? I'm sure a lot of people would like to see it since you've got it dialed in.
              2009 Super Air Nautique 210 TE
              2006 Super Air Nautique 210 TE
              1989 Sport Nautique

Comment

Here's what I have from recording with my phone or someone else's phone. Most of my videos now are done with my GoPro which is much harder to edit & get to where I can post them.
                Both of these are me learning 360's with my new Hammerhead board
                https://vimeo.com/175421839
                https://vimeo.com/175422039

This is my wife and I on her CWB Bentley learning goofy side. (We both are regular side surfers normally)
                https://vimeo.com/175422129
                https://vimeo.com/175422218

I'll work on some of my GoPro footage this week and try to get something else posted.

Sent from my iPhone using PLANETNAUTIQUE mobile app
                Last edited by SurfingCane; 07-19-2016, 01:59 PM.
                KEEP
                CALM
                AND
                WAKESURF
                ON

Comment

GoPro shot...

KEEP
                  CALM
                  AND
                  WAKESURF
                  ON

Comment

Miller time.....

KEEP
                    CALM
                    AND
                    WAKESURF
                    ON

Comment

Thank you for sharing Cane! Looking good!
                      2009 Super Air Nautique 210 TE
                      2006 Super Air Nautique 210 TE
                      1989 Sport Nautique

Comment

Surfing Cane-
                        I noticed your boat has been for sale for some time following this seemingly great upgrade. may I ask... why?

Thanks,

Doug

Comment

Anybody have any ideas on a zoom lens for the GoPro. Surfing shots are perfect but wakeboarding seems like they are a mile away.

Comment

Originally posted by DW SD View Post
                            Surfing Cane-
                            I noticed your boat has been for sale for some time following this seemingly great upgrade. may I ask... why?

Thanks,

Doug
                            As a family we decided that we needed to get a bigger boat. 3 kids getting older/bigger and a new born in April. We needed something that would give us more storage even when running full ballast.
                            The pictures and video don't lie!!! The GSA system works. So don't doubt it at all. When the wife says "let's upgrade" I think everyone on this site would jump all over it.
                            KEEP
                            CALM
                            AND
                            WAKESURF
                            ON

Comment

[mention]SurfingCane [/mention] would you do this upgrade again, or just wait and buy a new boat built for surfing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JAppler View Post
                                [mention]SurfingCane [/mention] would you do this upgrade again, or just wait and buy a new boat built for surfing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Sorry for not replying sooner. Haven't been on the site in a while. Craziness everywhere has kept me busy working....A LOT.

Yes, absolutely! It's a great modification to get an older boat to surf like the newer boats with just as good features/technology. If buying a newer boat is off the table.

KEEP
                                CALM
                                AND
                                WAKESURF
                                ON

Comment

Working...
                                X