Which model for first wake boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which model for first wake boat

Hi….New to this forum, so excuse me if I’m in the wrong category but we’re looking to purchase our first family wake boat and wanted to get the benefit of some feedback from members.
    I have done a ton of research, watched a lot of YouTube videos and read a lot of posts, reviews and commentary over the last 18 months to educate myself.
    I am 56, and have been cruising on a wakeboard for 10 years, (no real tricks, just basic jumps across wake - almost) and am very excited to be stepping up to a wake boat from a tired outboard boat.
    my wife loves to be onboard, but not behind the boat due to knee issues.
    Our kids (10, 13 and 15) are beginners on wakeboards but are loving it and myself and my friends are keen to get into wakesurfing to take some of the impact out of the falls.
    We often have 5 adults and 6 kids keen to go out, so we want a boat that’s big enough to manage 10 plus, and we want a rampy wake that’s not too hardcore, doesn’t scare the kids.
    we also want fill up some built-in ballast and put on a suction plate to get as good a wave for surfing as possible because this boat will probably be ours for a good few years.
    Fair to say we aren’t 20 year old’s going hard out with the whole floor covered in ballast bags. We want the floor clear for hangout space.
    Budget is $35k max, so I’m looking at 2003 - 2007 era boats.
    Currently feel like a SAN210 is too hefty in wake, but loving the look and size of a 226.
    The things I like on the 226 are the modern look of helm / gauges, love the walk thru transom, and the boat size, but feeling from forum discussions and videos like it’s possibly not really great wake for wakeboarding and very washy for surfing. Even for experienced beginners / intermediate.
    Don’t want to go to the trouble of buying for looks, and have 5 + years with bad wake, particularly after waiting so long to get to this point.
    Comments & Alternative suggestions much appreciated.
    Alternatives in other brands I feel would be Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV or Centurion avalanche (with the walk thru)
    I’m aware that I’m being ambitious with the limited budget and am well aware of the limitations of boats this old, particularly regarding surfing.
    Resale is important too, as I’m in New Zealand but going to buy in the USA and ship the boat here, and there’s relatively few wake boats here of any sort, but 95% here would be Nautique, Malibu, Mastercraft and a few Supra / Centurion / Moomba / Tige, so it’s better to stick to these brands or I may have trouble selling later.
    Also the more pronounced V hull of the Centurion Avalanche would serve me well on the lake in NZ which can get choppy.
    thanksin advance for any thoughts.
    Last edited by toastie22; 10-25-2021, 06:37 AM.

Originally posted by toastie22 View Post
    Also the more pronounced V hull of the Centurion Avalanche would serve me well on the lake in NZ which can get choppy.
    thanksin advance for any thoughts.
    avalanche or its big brother the typhoon (which i have) ride great in chop. the typhoon is rated for 12 people so with your big crew that would serve you well. i'd keep the tige 22v/24v in mind as well for rough-water ride.

Comment

For comparisons on what's available at what price, here's a $36k Nautique 226 for sale in Seattle.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/b...390229202.html
      2004 206 Air Nautique Limited - Black with Vapor Blue (family style)
      1997 Masters Edition Nautique - Zephyr Green - gone (amazing ski wake)
      1982 Mastercraft Powerslot - gone (a primitive but wonderful beast)
      Bellevue WA

Comment

Thanks so much for those comments - would love to hear from anyone that owns or has owned a 226, or knows anything about the wake from that model - Comments I've seen indicate that it's a great boat for families and they love the walk-thru, but possibly the wake isn't going to serve me well - and I don't want to buy something that will take an enormous amount of fiddling around to overcome inherent design.

Comment

Also, there's this Typhoon https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2004...phoon-8042399/
          Possibly the deeper V equivalent of the Malibu 23 LSV.
          Anyway, first up I'd like to figure out if the 226 or any other Nautique could do the job, and if not, I'll just have to move on.

Comment

Just a note in case it seems like an odd thing to be buying a boat in the US to ship to NZ, the market here is quite new and very small for wake boats, and there are dealers for 4 brands, but probably 50-60% of the boats here are imported privately from the US or Australia, so there's very good shipping agents here with well established processes, so I'm all set up to go with shipping out of Jacksonville.
            The main thing with buying out of the USA is it gives me choice - I can get pretty much the exact model / age / price boat that I want, rather than waiting for years to get one here.

Comment

Originally posted by toastie22 View Post
              i'd stay away from pre-2006 models with the rear transom notches as they won't surf or wakeboard as well. and i'd stay away from any non-C4 models with the starboard walkthrough as you won't be able to put as much ballast on that side.

Comment

If your on a budget and want a decent quality boat you can get into a nice Sanger at a reasonable price and they are good runners and throw a family friendly wake. We had a
                DXII Ski for years and then a XTZ prior to buying our SAN GS22.

Comment

My buddy bought a brand new 2004 226 back in the day. I loved that wake alot and I had friends who could do every trick in the book on that wake at a pro level. As far as surfing goes with some weight and a suckgate it will be as good as anything out there.

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses - I have just purchased a 2003 Tige 24v with 500hrs on a PCM 330, based on its capability for getting through somewhat rough water, the size will be great for the three families that we take out, and its price. found a really tidy one. If I hadn't found this particular one I would have opted for a 226. Looks like a great boat. Thanks again.

Comment

that's a great boat, congrats!

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses!
                        is there anyI should keep an eye out for with the 2003 PCM 330 Excalibur in terms of known issues or regular maint?

Comment

No. It’s a solid engine. Worst thing I can think of is the FCC canister is probably going to be a bear to remove and the rubber tube inside has a tendency to break when replacing the FCC filter.

Comment

Brilliant thanks for that - what’s an FCC filter?

Comment

I've only had my 330 Excalibur for 1.5 years, but it's been good to me and has a pretty bulletproof reputation.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X