G23 Test Drive (not what I expected)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G23 Test Drive (not what I expected)

I'm in the market for a new boat and will be changing brands from Malibu. I currently have a 2012 23LSV and looking for something that will handle the larger/rougher lake we now live on while also providing the ability to surf and wakeboard easily. We water tested a Centurion RI257 a few weeks ago and was really impressed by the ride and wave quality. It is bigger than we wanted but it gave me a feel for the Centurion on the water.

Then we went out on the G23...

First thing I noticed was that to get a symmetrical wake while going down the lake (just cruising) I had to add about 250 lbs in the port ballast tank. It was 4 of us, I was driving and the other three were on the port side of the boat and I still needed to add weight to that side to get a clean wake.

It also seemed like the throttle wasn't very responsive. i.e. I really had to get after it to get going. It felt like I had to go nearly to WOT just to get moving. Is there a setting somewhere that may have been set to ensure an easy pull for a rider?

Finally, all the mechanicals were really loud! The ballast pumps seemed like they were echoing below deck and even underway I could hear them. The transmission whine was also very noticeable. Much louder than any of the Malibu's I've owned and the Centurion I drove earlier this year.

My question is this: "Is this normal for the G Series?" I just really want to know before I eliminate the G series from my search.

On a positive note, the fit and finish was great! Loved all the little touches that I expected from a Nautique. The comfort and attention to detail inside was awesome.

Thanks!

The newer Nautiques seem to have a more hollow tone too them vs the old ones.. Agree with that. You should get what makes you comfortable.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to determine if what I experienced is systemic to the G-Series or that specific boat/setup. I want to know if I should take a second ride in a different boat or not.

Comment

I think the engine is loud at speed. Others on this forum do not share my opinion. When the boat is loaded with gear, people, cooler, music going etc. The noise is dissipated though.

I think the throttle and torque/speed associated with it is very responsive. It's an electronic throttle which you may not be used to. I can't say I share your thoughts on that front.

The weight on the port side is due to prop torque. Big boat, big prop, big torque. I run 300 lbs of lead under the passenger seat. No big deal and helps make a killer wake all the time as long as you're balance side to side.

Comment

Everything you experienced was normal for g-series. The reversible pumps are louder then aerator style pumps...

Comment

Transmission noise is much more noticeable on my 2020 G than my 2013. Might just be the surf pipe eliminates the low frequency exhaust nose making the transmission easier to hear. Or the 2:1 gear ratio. But it is quite noticeable.

As mentioned above, Jabsco pumps are noisier than aerator pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

The the “â€really have to throttle down to get movingӠcomment makes it sound like plane assist was turned off. Takeoff should be completely smooth.

Transmission whine, seems odd, perhaps actual engine noise is less than your used to? Or it’s boat specific.
              Last edited by 99bison; 06-30-2020, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I’m new to the g with 45 hours on my 2020, but you do seem to need a couple hundred pounds port side to offset prop torque and driver weight for sure. I think the engine and transmission are responsive and does great. The water pumps can be a little more loud than I would of thought also

I really wanted to like the centurion fi23 and ri237, as the waves I’ve seen are quite good and they are significantly less money than the g...however I was shocked at how far behind they are in fit and finish and just how the overall feel of the boat is several notches below nautique imo. The lean back seats are rickety and not secure. Seat hinges, stereo system, feel of vinyl, lighting, etc...all way way behind the Nautique imo. The wife spent only 15 minutes inside one looking at it after having just done a g23 test drive...she couldn’t get out fast enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Happy Wife...Happy Life...

Comment

Originally posted by 99bison View Post
                    The the “â€really have to throttle down to get movingӠcomment makes it sound like plane assist was turned off. Takeoff should be completely smooth.

Transmission whine, seems odd, perhaps actual engine noise is less than your used to? Or it’s boat specific.
                    The "really have to throttle down to get moving" was more about the position of the throttle before takeoff. It seemed like I had to get to 9 o'clock before we were really accelerating. It wasn't that we weren't moving but more that the engine wasn't really responding to the amount of effort I put into the throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by H20W8STER View Post
                      Happy Wife...Happy Life...
                      My wife came away with an opposite feeling! While the fit and finish were better in the Nautique, she was focused on the wave and the ride and felt the Centurion was superior. In the end "Happy wife, Happy Life!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post

The "really have to throttle down to get moving" was more about the position of the throttle before takeoff. It seemed like I had to get to 9 o'clock before we were really accelerating. It wasn't that we weren't moving but more that the engine wasn't really responding to the amount of effort I put into the throttle.
                        Agreed. The throttle by wire on Nautiques is much different in feel than on my friends Malibu. Going between them takes some adjustment. The malibu seems to have a shorter throw if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

The 450hp DI engines are very loud. Much louder than even my 550hp previously.

but... very torquey with the 17x17 prop. So much so... I want to go 17x18 or 18x18.

where near Haymarket are you test driving a new G?

lake Anna here.
                          Last edited by nyryan2001; 07-01-2020, 06:58 PM.
                          2019 G23 450
                          2014 G23 550
                          2013 G23 450
                          2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
                          2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Originally posted by nyryan2001 View Post
                            The 450hp DI engines are very loud. Much louder than even my 550hp previously.

but... very torquey with the 17x17 prop. So much so... I want to go 17x18 or 17x18.

where near Haymarket are you test driving a new G?

lake Anna here.
                            We used to live in Haymarket and boat on Lake Anna but we've moved to Lake Norman NC, and live on the lake!

Comment

Working...
                            X