60lb Dog on Vinyl in 2018-2019 Nautique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60lb Dog on Vinyl in 2018-2019 Nautique

Hello there. Does anyone out there in Nautique Land ever take their heavier dogs out on their newer Nautiques and does the vinyl hold up? I specify newer because I know the vinyl has changed over the years and I have a 2019 I'm picking up here soon. I would hate to take fido out on the new boat and then he damages it within a few steps. Thanks!

We have a high energy 75 lb Golden Retriever. We always took her (And her predecessor) on our last boat (Hurricane Deck boat) but never allowed her on the vinyl. She occasionally jumped on the seats, but we corrected her quickly. We just sold the Hurricane, and after 14 years, the vinyl was intact.

Any day now we are buying a new Surf boat (Likely a GS20), and I'm struggling with how to handle all that vinyl. Do we try to train her to stay off all that vinyl, or just say the **** with it and let her walk where she wants? Letting her go where she wants would be far easier, and possibly more expensive???

Looking forward to see what people think.

Cheers,
    James

Comment

I think a high energy dog with nails like a golden or lab could also do some damage on the Seadek. I love my labs but they don’t ride in the boat

Comment

Lol here ya go Click image for larger version

Name:	Petacc-Dog-Boots-Waterproof-Dog-Shoes-Anti-Slip-Snow-Boots-Warm-Paw-Protector-Size-6-Red-2.jpg
Views:	2303
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	585316

Comment

Might be true, but the dog is coming on the boat. My wife and kids will demand it. The above boots are not going to happen. She would eat those in minutes.

Replacing the seadeck down the line may need to be factored into the equation. Can anyone here comment regarding a dogs effect on seadeck longevity, in addition to vinyl?

Cheers,
          James

Comment

I have a 40lb cockapoo we bring on ours no issues with the seadek, hopefully your dog doesn’t like to fluff ,that will put small scratches on the seadek. I keep a small bucket of dog toys. If he wants to take a nap on the seat I just lay a towel down. Luckily my dog doesn’t shed. My two kids on the boat are worse than the dog!

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune442 View Post
              Lol here ya go Click image for larger version

Name:	Petacc-Dog-Boots-Waterproof-Dog-Shoes-Anti-Slip-Snow-Boots-Warm-Paw-Protector-Size-6-Red-2.jpg
Views:	2303
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	585316
              Now that's funny
              2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

Comment

I have a friend with Lab and he throws ball from the swim platform and dog leaps out to retrieve. His seadeck on the platform was ruined after one season. I have a boxer and also apply the no dog rule. If you are adamant allowing a big dog I would recommend putting a blanket down and teaching her to lay in one spot or you will likely incur some level of damage. Or just say f- it and budget to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those shoes actually work well once the dogs get used to them; without them my boxers will shred and ruin the sea deck in one outing.

Comment

I love my yellow lab more than my interior. We started by making terry cloth covers for the seats . Big mistake they worked great until they got wet . They will never dry so you are sitting on a wet towel all day. Then we put on ''Soft paws '' nail caps they work great and the dog doesn't even know they are there. We currently have a clear plastic cover over the back deck and top of the back seat and another over the bow area . We keep it more for keeping water out than dog protection. Keep the nails trimmed [ I use a dremmel with a sanding drum ] or go with the Soft Paws if you want extra protection. The biggest problem the dogs have caused is the hair it gets everywhere probably takes a couple hours added to cleanup time.

Comment

Originally posted by doug69 View Post
                      I have a friend with Lab and he throws ball from the swim platform and dog leaps out to retrieve. His seadeck on the platform was ruined after one season. I have a boxer and also apply the no dog rule. If you are adamant allowing a big dog I would recommend putting a blanket down and teaching her to lay in one spot or you will likely incur some level of damage. Or just say f- it and budget to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I think I’m going to mirror your rule. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPad using PLT Nautique

Comment

I've struggled with this as well and we simply limit the amount of time she is on the boat and keep close tabs on the nails. At the end of the day they are part of the family...
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	file-30.jpeg
Views:	581
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	585403

Comment

IÂ’m sorry but my dog, who I love dearly (85 lb golden) is simply not getting on my boat and ruining thousands in seadeck and vinyl. Would you let your kids do that? Kids can sort of be taught to be sensible but dogs are hyper (and trust me, mine is well trained). I would love to bring him as he loves the water but he stinks when wet and would wreck the boat. Instead I take him for a swim every morning and tire him out so he sleeps while we are out on the boat. I am interested in trying those little booties but swimming with those probably will not work either. And for those that allow dogs on the expensive boats - do you also allow your wet dog on the leather seats of your $150k sports car? Yes dogs are our family, and if so, make some extra effort and get them the exercise they need in other ways and spend lots of time with them when you are not on the boat.

Comment

My 72 lb Golden goes on the boat every time. No issues with the vinyl or sea deck in the boat. Seadeck on the platform gets a little beat up because she uses the ladder to get back in the boat and digs her claws in. Part of the family and the Seadeck on the platform can be replaced.

Comment

For us, our dog "Mango" is coming on the boat. It's a question of how to handle/manage her, the seadeck and vinyl.

Comment

Working...
                              X