G21 vs G23 in shallow water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G21 vs G23 in shallow water

Excited to soon be a Nautique owner but need some help. I am between the 2019 G21 and G23. We currently live on a small lake, shallow in some areas. Drove a 2018 21 on our lake the other day and the surf wave was still respectable down to 8ft depth. Not able to get a 23 out there for a ride. Wondering if anyone knows if the 23 throws a much different wave in shallower water than the 21. Is one more or less effected by depth? Also counter-clockwise only so wondering if you find a gentle turn negatively effects your surf wave on either boat. Any help would be appreciated.

You need to be in 13ft+ for Gs.

your wave was severely comprised at 8ft depth.

find deeper water
    2019 G23 450
    2014 G23 550
    2013 G23 450
    2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
    2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

None of them will be good in water that shallow. No G, no GS, no 2x0. No other surf boat for that matter. It's a matter of physics, not the boat.

Comment

So nyryan said you need 13ft for the G - would you say that is the same for the 21 and the 23 - or does one really require more depth?

Comment

Not being a G owner but understanding and living with areas of shallow water I would say that it wouldn't matter. There is a bounce effect from the bottom of the lake to the stern of the boat. Our ski area has a section of water that is about 4 feet deep, if pulling a trick skier across the area with the gate up and the stern down, you can literally feel the stern of the boat rise when you cross the area. I would imagine this would be even more exaggerated in a G boat where the goal is to be stern down as low as possible and displacing maximum water.
          2018 200 Team H6
          2009 196 Team ZR 409
          2005 196 Limited ZR 375
          2003 196 Limited Excalibur
          1999 196 Masters Edition
          1995 ProStar 190 LT1 (Bayliner)
          1987 ProStar 190

Comment

Originally posted by SurfDoc View Post
            So nyryan said you need 13ft for the G - would you say that is the same for the 21 and the 23 - or does one really require more depth?
            It doesn't matter. You need about 13ft for pretty much any surf boat. If you're doing one of those crazy "slammed" setups with thousands of pounds of extra ballast, you need even more depth.

-Charles

Comment

Seems to me that "small shallow lake" and G23s and giant surf wakes are not a good combination, but that's just me I guess. I guess all the other residents and boaters on the "small shallow lake" and the shoreline are not a consideration.

Comment

G21 with 3-5k ballast or a G23.... both need 13+

my most frequent surf line at Lake Anna. 20-30ft the towards the end it would gradually creep down to 8ft. I would surf with 4000lbs ballast.

right at 12ft wave would start to shrink... and it’d go near flat at 10-11.

2019 G23 450
                2014 G23 550
                2013 G23 450
                2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post

It doesn't matter. You need about 13ft for pretty much any surf boat. If you're doing one of those crazy "slammed" setups with thousands of pounds of extra ballast, you need even more depth.

-Charles
                  So generally 13 ft of water is a good rule of thumb to have a decent wake to surf? If so this may be a problem for me if I move from my home lake in Virginia to water in some instances below 13 ft on occasions

Comment

I can most certainly see the surf wake shrink when we get in less than 13 feet. I know right where that spot is in the lake and if my driver doesn't spot it, I know the wake is going to drop off as soon as we pass over it.

-Charles

Comment

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post
                      I can most certainly see the surf wake shrink when we get in less than 13 feet. I know right where that spot is in the lake and if my driver doesn't spot it, I know the wake is going to drop off as soon as we pass over it.

-Charles
                      Never knew this because it had never been a problem for me because I have always
                      surfed in deep water . Good to know .

Comment

The OP lives on this lake so I am not sure that the “find deeper water” comments are helpful to him. It is an interesting discussion but doesn’t address the question. He seems aware that his surf wake will be smaller and that the G21 still produces an acceptable wake, will the bigger boat be better? I don’t surf but my guess would be that bigger boat would be better but not by much as I would think it would be more greatly affected by the shallow water. The 21 might keep the neighbors happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s not till folks know that they know.

i’d be willing to bet he’s surfing 8ft because he didn’t know any better. What we’re trying to help him do is solve the RIGHT problem, not the wrong problem. I want him to chose the boat he wants, not self limit based on a limited understanding of the surf game.

id also be willing to be if he gets to know his Lake real well... he can find a run of deeper water.

Case in point.... Lake Barkley KY.

took me nearly 6 weeks to find a ~1 mile zagging thin line of 15ft+ water. 90% of the lake is 6-8ft deep from being man made.

to the OP: 8ft is terrible for any boat. Find deeper water.
                          2019 G23 450
                          2014 G23 550
                          2013 G23 450
                          2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Originally posted by DealsGapCobra View Post
                            The OP lives on this lake so I am not sure that the “find deeper water” comments are helpful to him. It is an interesting discussion but doesn’t address the question. He seems aware that his surf wake will be smaller and that the G21 still produces an acceptable wake, will the bigger boat be better? I don’t surf but my guess would be that bigger boat would be better but not by much as I would think it would be more greatly affected by the shallow water. The 21 might keep the neighbors happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            No....so wrong. The difference between the size and what the wake does to the "neighbors" is EXACTLY the same between the 21 and 23 on any lake. And the comment about going with the "smaller" G21....Yeah...only 2 feet...really...but both boats have the same gunnel height and are monsters in the water. Now if you are comparing 25 vs 21....Yeah...I can see...but honestly.....if you have a G21....your lake neighbors docks won't love you any more than a G23 owner....LOL. And the find deeper water comment is a viable solution on a lake where there IS deeper water other than where you have been surfing shallow in. Really pretty easy with a depth finder.....

Comment

Didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X