Towers and lifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towers and lifts

I am curious what everyone with lifts does with their towers? We recently sold our lake home and the new buyer wanted the lift and dock. We are just moving across the lake. Good for me as I don't have to move the lift and I was keeping a casual eye on the used lift market for a 6k lift in preparation for a boat upgrade in a year or two anyway. My wife and I are leaning towards a GS22 at this point. With my OG 210, folding the tower with speakers is a giant PITA every time we go out (let alone setting up the bimini if we use it), which had me looking for lifts with tower height canopies. However, seeing how easy the GS towers fold has me thinking I don't really need to worry about leaving the tower up. I really like this option as you can get the boat so much more tucked into the canopy and out of the elements. I guess I am just wondering what everyone else does?

Well, I don't really do anything: https://imgur.com/k4ppqm1

Comment

Down side of the tower height canopy is they are obnoxiously high so can block you and your neighbors views.
      A tower that folds easy is the best solution and keeps your canopy out of the stratosphere. Do keep in mind if you have a tower mounted bimini that may need to be taken down to fold the tower. For my 206 I keep my Shorestation Canopy just high enough so boat can get in tower up and get the hull out of the water, tower down it tucks up tight and keeps the boat almost entirely out of the sun. Shorestation or Floe are the best lifts going IMO

Comment

Originally posted by charlesml3 View Post
        Well, I don't really do anything: https://imgur.com/k4ppqm1
        I wish I was in a situation to have a boat house...unfortunately, we are required to remove our lifts every fall.

Comment

I have a Pier Pleasure canopy coming in a week. I has a 2' drop extension, around the entire thing. The entry point actually unzips on the sides and rolls up, so that you can enter/exit the lift with the tower up. My plan is to still drop the tower, once it's on the lift, so I don't have to have the canopy 10' in the air.
          Last edited by ironj32; 06-13-2018, 03:11 PM.
          2018 SAN G23 XR550
          2015 SAN G23 XR550
          2014 SAN G23 XR550
          2013 SAN G23 XS550
          2013 SAN G23 ZR450
          2011 SAN 230
          2010 SAN 230
          2000 XStar
          www.mnspringride.com

Comment

Originally posted by Quinner View Post
            Down side of the tower height canopy is they are obnoxiously high so can block you and your neighbors views.
            A tower that folds easy is the best solution and keeps your canopy out of the stratosphere. Do keep in mind if you have a tower mounted bimini that may need to be taken down to fold the tower. For my 206 I keep my Shorestation Canopy just high enough so boat can get in tower up and get the hull out of the water, tower down it tucks up tight and keeps the boat almost entirely out of the sun. Shorestation or Floe are the best lifts going IMO
            Agreed about the views. There's a fine line to walk between convenience and the visuals. I have read that on the GS series, the bimini can stay attached and rests just above the windshield when the tower is folded. If that's the case, I could be persuaded to keep lowering the tower to preserve the views and protect the boat better. There are several lift and dock manufacturers within an hour of me. I will most likely go with one of them.

Comment

Here is what I do. And for the record the best lift is the Shoremaster Cantilever 50120. The proof is in the picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	boat on lift.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	559032

Comment

Folding is so easy its a no brainer to just fold and raise into the canopy.

Comment

I prefer the air flow, and leaving my bimini up, and then i can walk around the boat when not in use, take a nap in there, listen to music, or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by nohlan_4 View Post
                    Folding is so easy its a no brainer to just fold and raise into the canopy.
                    For some reason I don't think you have ever owned a old school 210, or you wouldn't make this comment. Honestly, I am so used to it, it doesn't bother me much and being able to tuck the boat in nice and high is appealing to me. That being said, I did go with a Summit Marine 6k lb hydraulic lift with tower height canopy. I found a used one that is basically new and I figure I can always make the canopy legs shorter...it's really hard to stretch them though!

Comment

Originally posted by azeus17 View Post

For some reason I don't think you have ever owned a old school 210, or you wouldn't make this comment. Honestly, I am so used to it, it doesn't bother me much and being able to tuck the boat in nice and high is appealing to me. That being said, I did go with a Summit Marine 6k lb hydraulic lift with tower height canopy. I found a used one that is basically new and I figure I can always make the canopy legs shorter...it's really hard to stretch them though!
                      What does a new 6k lift cost?

Comment

Originally posted by azeus17 View Post

Were you not alluding to getting a new boat as well? With all new towers it’s so easy it’s honestly pointless to leave it up unless you deploy your Bimini everyday. Where I live bimini are few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by Blamey View Post

What does a new 6k lift cost?
                          The quote I got for the same Summit Marine lift I bought was almost $17k new. I got mine 3 years old for $9k. That was the highest quote I got for a new lift, though. The range was $10.2K to almost $17k. The Summit lift does have a few nice features, like cylinders retracted in the up position, that make them worth a little more, in my opinion, but I was not willing to pay $7k more on a new lift for that.

Comment

Originally posted by nohlan_4 View Post

Were you not alluding to getting a new boat as well? With all new towers it’s so easy it’s honestly pointless to leave it up unless you deploy your Bimini everyday. Where I live bimini are few and far between.
                            Yes, I was, and I agree with you regarding new boats. I read your original post as pertaining to all towers, so my bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X