Wake for the Kiddies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake for the Kiddies

As life throws changes at me I am now pulling a few 8 to 11 year olds behind my 230 and I need to occasionally tone down the wake and speed but as we all know the 230 wake washes out at slow speeds. I have stock ballast tanks. Can I add a bag to the belly and clean up the slow, short line wake for the kiddos? Height is not an issue I just want to clean it up.

Try adding wake in the bow to bring the rear end up...

Comment

Originally posted by srock
      As life throws changes at me I am now pulling a few 8 to 11 year olds behind my 230 and I need to occasionally tone down the wake and speed but as we all know the 230 wake washes out at slow speeds. I have stock ballast tanks. Can I add a bag to the belly and clean up the slow, short line wake for the kiddos? Height is not an issue I just want to clean it up.
      How fast are you going?

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

15 to 18 max. They are about 75 lbs so it does not take much.

Comment

Originally posted by srock View Post
          15 to 18 max. They are about 75 lbs so it does not take much.
          Should be fine. Don't worry about the wake being perfect. They don't really care and as their skills improve, you can increase speed and get it cleaned up.

-Charles

Comment

I disagree on this one^^. No all are beginners and any kid with athletic ability will soon move toward the wake. So, when you are crossing or riding the wake it does matter but they don't need to ride at 22 with he board chattering to clean up the wake. On my inboard I match rope length to skill level so it can be cleared and the wake is always clean. I am not worried about the size just getting a good lower speed shape. Perhaps I will not get there on the 230.

Comment

Originally posted by srock View Post
              On my inboard
              And that's a completely different boat. Any of us can clean up the wake on a 200 xB easy enough at slow speeds. He's talking about a 230. It's a different boat entirely and difficult to clean up both sides below 22mph or so. That's why I said to keep it slow (regardless of the cleanliness of the wake) until they start to feel comfortable and can cross back and forth. Then slowly creep up the speed to clean it up. If you go too fast, too soon, all you do is keep them scared.

Comment

It's definitely not a fear issue...its about a clean pull. To wakeboard at 22 at his weight is ridiculous and bad advice. Pros are running 24 at 80 feet and I run 23 at 200lbs. The post was how/if your can clean up the slow speed wake on a 230. I will take your post to imply it will not happen. I will add some weight to the bow over stock ballast this weekend and see what happens.

Comment

I really don't understand what you're saying. Puling a beginner at 22mph is MOST CERTAINLY a fear issue. They may ride, but all they'll do is hold on and stand in the middle.

The 230 can sorta be cleaned up at a slower speed by adding bow weight, but only on one side (Starboard). FOR A BEGINNER, THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. Just leave it and let them gain experience and confidence. They can start learning jumps only from one side (most people do that anyway). As they progress and need it clean on both sides, ease the speed up and change the weighting to get what they need.

-Charles

Comment

"I will add some weight to the bow over stock ballast this weekend and see what happens."

Add weight to the bow and NOT in the belly or back to clean up the wake at low speeds. This will require a bag for bow or something. But should flatten the wake in back and clean it up.

Comment

I was in the same boat as you. I asked and got tons of good info. What finally worked for me (different boat 2004 sante 210) weight up front and lead wake to even things out. I spent an afternoon out there getting it dialed in by myself and would adjust with others in the boat. I had a starting point though.

Comment

My 8 yr old has rides daily in the summer. By the end of the year I️ had bumped him up to 18. We slow it way down when he’s practicing switch and trying new stuff.

Comment

Geez charles read his posts, he is not saying he is pulling kids at 22, he is asking how to clean up the wake at slower speeds.

Adding front weight is good advice, shorten the rope up also as you mentioned, not sure about the 230 but generally the closer in the cleaner the wake can be. Good luck, its great fun watching the kids progress!!

Comment

[QUOTE=charlesml3;n548123]I really don't understand what you're saying. Pulling a beginner at 22mph is MOST CERTAINLY a fear issue. They may ride, but all they'll do is hold on and stand in the middle.

It's MOST CERTAINLY not fear....My kid first skied at 4, he has raced motocross since he was 5 including at Lucas Oil stadium in front of 65,000 people, he has been doing front and back flips off a high dive since he was 6, he plays catcher and we ski in water with 11 foot alligators. I have been skiing for 30 plus years which has included teaching countless kids and I can tell you the 230 is a "adult" hull unless the lighter ones just surf or tube. Watch a 75lb kid at 22mph, the board chatters when not on edge.

I can also tell you that kids enthusiasm and positive outcomes are highly contagious and they learn fear. Many have incredible untapped talents, jump right in and progress quickly. Others jump right in and decide once is enough. Those kids typically have their mothers aboard telling them verbally and non-verbally to "be careful". As an adult, I quietly make sure everything is safe and feed the stoke.

Thanks Quinner - adding weight to the nose is my next step. There so much more than just surf and wake so I think I will probably hold onto my direct drive as well.

Comment

You had me until the "we ski in water with 11 foot alligators".

Comment

Working...
                              X