Spare tire mounting on 2017 G23 trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare tire mounting on 2017 G23 trailer

I recently purchase a 2017 G23 demo boat from the dealer. The spare tire is mounted beneath the boat on the trailer. I was on the ground under the boat inspecting and noticed the spare tire had terrible curb rash. It appears someone swapped the rim out with he spare and mounted facing down to try and hide it. The dealer has agreed to replace. I'm wondering normally is the spare tire mounted facing up or down? Also, it is really difficult to get the spare unbolted and removed. Am I missing something? Is it easy to switch to the side mounted spare that most trailers seem to have?

Mine is mounted facing up.

Comment

I prefer mine side mounted as their easier to get to when needed, and like the fact they don't get wet every time the trailer hits the water so less water spot or corrosion. Keeps the spare nicer and cleaner looking. Also when side mounted it works as a nice step into and out of the bow of boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Green View Post
        I prefer mine side mounted as their easier to get to when needed, and like the fact they don't get wet every time the trailer hits the water so less water spot or corrosion. Keeps the spare nicer and cleaner looking. Also when side mounted it works as a nice step into and out of the bow of boat.
        I agree with you. I'd prefer mine to be side mounted. It's almost a 2 man job to get the spare out in the under mounted location. Is it easy to modify to a side mount?

Comment

Originally posted by geb78 View Post

I agree with you. I'd prefer mine to be side mounted. It's almost a 2 man job to get the spare out in the under mounted location. Is it easy to modify to a side mount?
          If trailer came with undermount I'd probably leave it there. Yes it would be simple to get a side mounted spare, but would worry about matching the paint if you do a welded kind. They make bolt on ones for side mount also and they would probably do fine just won't have that clean factory look IMO

Comment

Working...
          X