G23 Trailer Capacity w/ 18" Wheels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G23 Trailer Capacity w/ 18" Wheels

I see a lot of dual axle Boatmate G23 trailers with 18" wheels, and had wondered why my fully loaded trailer was ordered with 15" wheels. I think I know now.

I was on Boatmates page and saw something interesting. If you get the dual axle G23 trailer with 18" wheels it is only rated for a capacity of 6900 pounds - the 15 wheel XL version has a capacity of 8300 pounds. With the G weighing in at 5900 dry, you add 500 pounds or so for fuel and such, it only leaves you 500 pounds for gear and everything else. It could be very easy to overload the trailer, especially if you add any additional weight, have a bunch of gear, etc. Even the 18" wheel triple axle trailer is only rated at 8200 pounds (100 less than the double XL with 15s), which I guess is why you see some triples out there. I always figured was overkill but now understand. If you are in an accident, no matter who is at fault, an overloaded trailer could be a liability.

http://boatmatetrailers.com/models_nautique.php
    (XL) - We are now offering an XL or Extra Load rated trailer for the G23. XL models can only be ordered in the 15" wheel setup and recommended for those customers that may travel long distances or with a heavy load of gear on board. 18" Wheel options can't be rated at 10,000# GVWR unless ordered as a Triple-Axle Setup.

Thought it was interesting.
    Last edited by blueroom; 1 week ago.

And remember, that's not even taking the weight of the trailer into consideration, so at 5,900 for the boat and 1,500 or so for the trailer, they're already overloaded.

EDIT: After reviewing their site, maybe the trailer weight is already taken into consideration.
    Current Boats > 2017 Super Air Nautique G23, 1998 Ski Nautique, 1981 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE)
    Former Boats > 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 2013 Super Air Nautique G23 2012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition 2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition 2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition 2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition 2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
    NautiqueParts.com - Roswell - SeaDek - Hyperlite - Delta Propellers - Christine's Marine - SkiSafe - PTMEdge - Xtreme Heaters

Comment

tire rating governs vs wheel diameter ie more sidewall higher load rating I'm thinking.
      "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Comment

Or maybe they were trying to lower the rig for clearance through a garage door.

Comment

Man this makes me want to rethink the triple axel. I tow quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

I did the triple axle Boatmate for my 2016 G23 and love the way it pulls. I load it up with a week's worth of gear and pull it to the lake five hours one way and it pulls like a dream with the 18" tires and triple axle.

Comment

Can you make a u-turn with it if you had to? Seems like if you do anything but highway towing you will just eat tires.
              2011 Sport 200V
              1981 Anniversary SN
              Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

^^^^ you're wrong. Towing a G with a triple is a dream. Especially if you townwith a 1/2ton
                2014 G23 550
                2013 G23 450
                2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
                2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Good to know!
                  2011 Sport 200V
                  1981 Anniversary SN
                  Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

Working...
                  X