Time for Spring Cleaning...Bare Naked Nautique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Re: RE: 03 sante

people like wakeboard and disasemble their boat for more enjoy. however,know more your boat make you not dizzy when later trouble shooting if.

Comment

Agreeing with everything Erik said, this project is way over the top. Mine is twice as old and still 15-20 years from needing a cleaning like this. I could appreciate it say, like hydrofoilmaniac doing this in 2007... on a 76. Maybe. To each his own, but for me there is way more to do in life than waste your time cleaning stuff that doesn't need to be cleaned. I have a wife, two kids, etc and they would kill me for starting a project like this. Just my 2 cents, but dude, seriously......
      the WakeSlayer
      1999 Super Air - Python Powered <-- For Sale
      1968 Correct Craft Mustang

Comment

I also don't think the cleaning is necessary, but neither is downing him for "wasting" his time.

Comment

why does it really matter if the dude cleans his boat..its his investment and he foots the note...who cares, if i had the time id do it too..i guess its a little funny when i step onto a boat thats 2-3 years old and looks like its 10 yrs old and vice versa..comes down to taking care of what you got...i cant wait til he gets to the motor!!lol Yellow_Flash_Colorz:

Comment

Re: RE: Re: RE: 03 sante

Originally posted by Hollywood
            I also don't think the cleaning is necessary, but neither is downing him for "wasting" his time.
            Agreed.

Ya... I wouldn't have cleaned it like that either. Personally I think taking all that stuff off is begging for problems with hardware and such. But, more power to you for doing it. More power to you for taking pride in your investments. And more power to you because (as long as it all goes back together right) I'd be a lot more likely to want to buy your used boat knowing that you paid that much attention to detail.

I think you're crazy, but props to ya man!!!!
            2018 SAN 230
            1981 Ski Nautique
            Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
            Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 03 sante

true true. I do agree, I would buy that boat too if a guy took care of it like that. I just choose not with mine. I stand corrected, not a waste of his time, it is his after all.
              the WakeSlayer
              1999 Super Air - Python Powered <-- For Sale
              1968 Correct Craft Mustang

Comment

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 03 sante

Originally posted by WakeSlayer
                true true. I do agree, I would buy that boat too if a guy took care of it like that. I just choose not with mine. I stand corrected, not a waste of his time, it is his after all.
                Respectfully, I disagree. I would be hesitant to buy a boat that had been assembled by CORRECT CRAFT... then disassembled and then reassembled by someone not named Correct Craft. No offense to the original poster who did this for reasons he saw fit. Of course with boats like these which many would plan to keep for 10 to 20 years, doing something noble like this would make sense eventually, if one planned to keep it for the long haul. Maybe at the 15 year mark. Otherwise, 4 years into this boats life, this type of undertaking is asking for more trouble than it prevents... by a mile. I'd label this a somewhat noble but questionable endeavor for sure. Unless the boat was a beat to $#!t Liquid Force team boat or something, that sat 10 months a year without so much as a wipedown, there is no way this makes much practical sense. Especially considering that the boat looks completely gorgeous otherwise. I would spend my boat project time in other ways, that is for sure.

All of that said, I still kind of salute you for this. You'll know the boat inside and out, that's for sure.

Comment

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 03 sante

i don't see the problem, anyone that takes on a project like this more than likely has a pretty good idea as to what they are doing.... any problems that u run into probably need some attention anyway.

Comment

Andrew, on a 2003 Super Air? One of the most coveted a well made boats in the history of our sport, right down to the best year possible in this case?

Really?

Like what for example?

Comment

like the problems that everyone was using as an excuse to not undertake the project (frozen hardware etc.)

all i'm saying is that if anything he takes off doesn't go back on properly, then there is some kind of flaw that might require attention later down the road, and that shouldn't be a reason for someone not to avoid a project.

to be honest, i totally disassemble my 2001 at least once a year to clean it. granted, it only takes about 5 minutes to completely strip the interior, but if i had one as complicated as the 2003 i'd probably still do the same thing. nothing worse than some mold growing behind a seat or sumthin imo

Comment

From the pictures posted, the only items removed are cosmetic items. Most of those items should go back on the boat with no problems. I did not see any pictures of him ripping out the wiring and redoing that, and that is where all the problems would come. I personally feel the wiring on these boats is the worst part of their construction and would rather rewire the boat that take it apart for cleaning, but I don't see any bad issues with taking it apart for cleaning.

The good thing about doing this now is findig all the frozen hardware, while it is still available. If this was done 15 years from now, would the hardware still be available? This does not mean it won't seise up again, but you can put anti seise on the threads to help prevent it from happening.

Comment

Man, you guys sure are harsh. No really just kidding, I do appreciate all the comments. Yes, this undertaking is borderline insanity. I partially agree with Erik about not wanting to take the boat part and then it not being put back together as well as correct craft did. However, as ag pointed out, most of what I took off are all cosmetic. While the grab handles and such aren't completely cosmetic, I sure am glad I got the seized parts off before it was too late. 10 maybe even five years from now, I would of had to break out the cutoff saw to cut the bolts out. Luckly, they were still soft enough to get undone without too much damage. I'm actually gonna take the seized bolts on the grab handles to one of my fab shops and see if they can weld on some new SS bolt threads. I figure that they can just cut them off and weld on the end of a bolt. Since the material that is goes into is pretty thick, I shouldn't have any problem with the weld bead interfering with the needed threads.

I probably will never go this far again. The main reason for stripping it so far was so that I could get a good clean slate to start wetsanding, buffing, and polishing. Nothing bothers me more than a nicely detailed vehicle where you can see the buildup of dirt and wax around all the hardware/crevices. Taking everything off made if much easier to get at everything.

The secondary reason is so that I have nice and easy access to work with to rewire the stereo and led lights. I will also clean up some of the wiring under the gunnels and such. The way that they wire and connect all the accessories is horrible. I will be soldering all connections to the metal actuators and buttons for the rear compartments, lights, cigarette lighters, etc. I'm gonna glass in a few mounting blocks to better tie up the wires for the stereo too. Having all the cushions off make it a **** of alot easier to get up there. Also, I am replacing most of the gaskets used under the tower, windshield, glovebox, etc. The stuff that CC uses is crap. It squeezes out from under compression and slides out of place leaving adhesive. I have some much better stuff that I will replace it with.

I do agree, that you shouldn't have to take a 4 year old boat apart like this. But for some reason, this thing was just plain nasty. I'm sure alot of it had to do with the multiple after work trips out to the lake and the dozens of miller lite shotguns that were had this past season, but I think most of it was from the previous owner. Another thing that bugged me about it was the seats and cushions, that from correct craft, were starting to become loose. All the little bolts holding the cushions need to be reworked and tightened so that everything sucks up close and tight to the hull. With all the interior out, it makes it much easier to clean all the grime off the seats. I just had my first experience with Magic eraser today....and I must say it is Magic.

I have two kids, and a nagging wife, and usually have to work at night too, but this is my baby and will spend however long to make it look **** near new. This weekend, I finished all the wetsanding (up to 2000grit), buffing and polishing with the orbital. All that is left to do is wax. I gotta order some more Zaino first. I'm to the point where I will start putting some of the stuff back on. Does anyone know what 3M sealant is equivalent to what CC used to seal the grab handles, gas cap, etc? My guess is 3M 5200.

Anyways....here are the latest pics. The finish on the gelcoat is now just about as fine as a Reef Girl's a$$!

Comment

:shock: , nice!
                            Neuston Boards
                            Nautiques

Comment

is that boat in texas? i remember it for sale on that trailer and what jogged my memory is the weird crash pads. i know it has a keel roller underneith too. and now i remember the white and double navy stripes, and the excalibur cover is grey not red, and it has a hot water shower, and teak deck.

Comment

That is a spring cleaning. The boat will be like new again for the summer!! Good luck.
                                230 with ZR6 running on propane

Comment

Working...
                                X