Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I wake surf without ballast, only people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I wake surf without ballast, only people?

I just completed a DIY of a wake shaper. I don't know if I want to spend the money right now to get my boat retro fitted with ballast. I tried to get a surfable wave off my boat using 5 people weighing maybe 800lbs total, no ballast, I haven't been able to surf the wave we could make without a rope....What is the lowest amount of people or (people & weight) I need to create a surfable wave for beginners? Where do I put the people/weight? Where do I put the wake shaper?

1995 Super Sport Nautique

Thanks!

I think lowest weight is going to be difficult to define because you could probably ride a longboard behind the boat with no ballast. Rider size, rider skill and board can make a difference in what would be the best option.

I only tried surfing behind my Super Sport a few times so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in but I would say to get a decent wave you'll want around 1500lbs.

There are plenty of posts with pictures that show ideal placement of the wakeshaper but basically you want a 90degree wakeshaper placed on the angled section of the wake at the back of the boat.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X