Ballast system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballast system

Looking for a diagrams, on the ballast system on a 2000 pro air nautique..
    I bought the boat a few weeks ago
    I was out this weekend, got the to fill manually , but the pumps never would work..
    Iike to find where everything is located, pumps, lines, .
    One Gage worked , one did not..
    I like to get everything working properly

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Not the greatest picture but it should help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	272
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	538887

Basically the OEM system is kind of crappy. There are two aerator pumps. One is located close to the through-hull water pickup, the second is located towards the stern. You should be able to see it if you lift the engine cover and look on the port side. You may need to pull the floor board up behind the engine cover for full access. The front pump is used to fill and the rear is used to empty. The vent valves need to be opened (of course) in order to fill / drain.

The aerator pumps are not self-priming. To fill you need to be underway (approx 20mph) in order to prime it and get it pumping (you probably knew that).

A non-working gauge could be a loose ground wire or a faulty sending unit. Going to be a PITA if it is the gauge.

I have a 1999 Pro Air Nautique and went through similar issues. I finally replaced the aerator pumps with a single reversible impeller pump. I left the vent valves in place which allow me to control which tank gets filled / emptied. I also wired in a new switch for the pump, bypassing the factory switch. It is not as sophisticated as systems others on this site have installed, but it works for me and did not cost much.

Some owners have gone to the extent of cutting out the hard tanks and installing ballast bags. This lets you carry significantly more weight over the factory 400 pounds.

Al the parts you need to upgrade can be sourced through www.wakemakers.com

Comment

Originally posted by a0128
      Not the greatest picture but it should help.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	272
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	538887

Basically the OEM system is kind of crappy. There are two aerator pumps. One is located close to the through-hull water pickup, the second is located towards the stern. You should be able to see it if you lift the engine cover and look on the port side. You may need to pull the floor board up behind the engine cover for full access. The front pump is used to fill and the rear is used to empty. The vent valves need to be opened (of course) in order to fill / drain.

The aerator pumps are not self-priming. To fill you need to be underway (approx 20mph) in order to prime it and get it pumping (you probably knew that).

A non-working gauge could be a loose ground wire or a faulty sending unit. Going to be a PITA if it is the gauge.

I have a 1999 Pro Air Nautique and went through similar issues. I finally replaced the aerator pumps with a single reversible impeller pump. I left the vent valves in place which allow me to control which tank gets filled / emptied. I also wired in a new switch for the pump, bypassing the factory switch. It is not as sophisticated as systems others on this site have installed, but it works for me and did not cost much.

Some owners have gone to the extent of cutting out the hard tanks and installing ballast bags. This lets you carry significantly more weight over the factory 400 pounds.

Al the parts you need to upgrade can be sourced through www.wakemakers.com
      Thank you.. I'm really thinking about putting the reversible impeller pump in.. do you have any pictures where I can see your install?

Comment

I won't be able to get a picture until next week, however here is the same engine compartment with an arrow showing approximately where I mounted it. There is an aluminum rail that the engine mounts on. I mounted my pump on that rail in front of the FCC.

Name:	Capture.PNG.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	538903

Comment

Originally posted by a0128
          I won't be able to get a picture until next week, however here is the same engine compartment with an arrow showing approximately where I mounted it. There is an aluminum rail that the engine mounts on. I mounted my pump on that rail in front of the FCC.

Name:	Capture.PNG.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	538903
          Ok that is where my first aerator pump is located .
          Since speaking with you I'm definitely going to put the reversible pump in..
          Definitely would love to see exactly how you did yours

Comment

I mounted mine where a0128 mentioned. It worked good since the intake is right there. I never got a lot of flow out of the pump but After more research I probably should have drilled some holes in the scoop to get more water in the pump

Comment

I would upload pictures but it won't let me for some reason

Comment

Working...
              X