Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funkster
    replied
    I didn’t get too many pictures since I was trying to get the pieces to the shop quickly. I’ve been wanting to do this for a few years so I’m pretty excited! Can’t wait to get them back.

I’m supposed to get the uphostery back Thursday, this boat is going to look complety different!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• funkster
    replied
    Again, thank you. Got the new app installed.

Leave a comment:

• NautiqueJeff
    replied
    You're using the wrong app.

See this thread.

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...le-app-working

Leave a comment:

• funkster
    replied
    BTW, when I try to post photos from the app, I get a message that says your forum has disabled photo sharing from this app. Is there a way around this?

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Leave a comment:

• funkster
    replied
    Jeff, I couldnt wait for tomorrow. I got the windshield all disassembled. The base foam/gasket on my boat had 4 pieces of double stick tape on port and 4 pieces on the starboard. I couldnt remember where I read it (I believe it was on this site) someone recommended a hot soapy water solution in a spray bottle. As soon as I to the double stick tape, I sprayed foam/gasket down with the water solution and went and ate diner. After diner I used a little flathead screwdriver action and it came out nicely. After that I took out the screws that attached the window base frame to the deck. I then moved to the walkthrough middle windshield section. I sprayed it down with the soapy water solution and that piece can apart nicely. I then tried to take the port side frame loose from the deck and it was on pretty solid. I tried a few times and it wasnt moving. I then went back to the trusty soapy water solution and let it soak for about 10 mins. Both the port and starboard frames came off of the deck with a little force. I then sprayed all around both sides and let it sit. The port side came off effortlessly but the starboard side gave me some trouble around the bend of the glass. I continued to spray the hot soapy water and finally it came free! Thanks for all your help and advice. It really made the disassemble process relatively easy. Much easier than dry fitting for seadek...

Leave a comment:

• funkster
    replied
    Ok, thanks for all the help. I currently have the tower off and will be digging into the windshield tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Leave a comment:

• NautiqueJeff
    replied
    I had my shop just media blast and coat the whole thing. The glass sits in a thick piece of rubber, and I had no issues putting it all back together after it was coated.

Leave a comment:

• funkster
    replied
    Thanks for your help! Did you have to tell the shop not to coat the frame channel that the glass will go back in? Im assuming there will be a thickness issue if they coat that area.

Leave a comment:

• NautiqueJeff
    replied
    Just get one end started with a screwdriver. Once you do that, it will pull apart easily.

Leave a comment:

• funkster
    replied
    How are you taking out the rubber strip out of the base? Flathead screwdriver? Some sort of special
    prying tool? I thought I read on here one time the someone used hot soapy water in a spray bottle?

Leave a comment:

• NautiqueJeff
    replied
    People always say putting them back together is harder than taking them apart. I have never found that to be true, and I have taken a good number of them apart for powder coat. I have never had any issues getting them back together.

Leave a comment:

• funkster
    replied
    Awesome, thank you. Do you have any special tips for making the process easier? Im thinking the more info I gather the easier it will be.

One big concern I have is putting it back together with powder coating being thicker. Any pointers?

Leave a comment:

• NautiqueJeff
    replied
    Pull the foam or rubber strip out at the base of the windshield, front side.

Remove the screws holding the windshield to the deck, and also the screws holding the windshield support pieces on the inside.

Lift off the windshield.

To remove the frame, just remove the screws holding the frame together, and pull it all apart.

There are some pictures on page 2 and 3 & 5 and 6 of this thread:

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...ue-restoration

Leave a comment:

• funkster
    started a topic Windshield removal

Windshield removal

Im currently in the process of restoring my 98 super sport. Im having the upholstery redone, new carpet, some seadek and a full polish and wax. I got a sneak peek of the new upholstery and its looking great. This got me thinking everything is going to look new again except the tower and the windshield. IMO, the tower will be easy. On the other hand, the windshield looks like a pain. I know a few of you have done this before, can anyone explain to me how the windshield comes of the deck, and how to separate the frame from the glass?

Thanks in advance!

Working...
X