Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help requested for a GT40 Engine out of a 1997 Super Sport Ski Nautique

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are in the process of overhauling a 1997 Super Sport Ski Nautique with a GT40 engine and we need some help in deciding what to do.
    Do we overhaul the Engine or do we Replace the engine?
    Because the GT40 is running nice, starts right away, has over 1100 hours on it, but looks completely rusted.
    It looked better in the boat (due to the shade) but now that we got it out, it really looks like a rust bucket.

But of course we want to give the boat & engine some TLC, but it comes down to expenses.
    We live in an area where the temperature can spike to 122 degrees Fahrenheit (50 Celcius) with high humidity.
    So we need the engine to be reliable.

When it comes to parts, I've already spiked to 8.000 USD (excluding shipping & Mechanics Expenses) with most probably more to come, and almost guaranteed without warranty.
    I've contacted Nautique online and had a wonderful reply, got forwarded to PCM and that's where the communication completely went dead.
    Most probably because i don't have all the engine specs as i can't see them through the rust.

Reason why this engine is rusted over, as far as we know from the previous owner, the boat has been sitting in salt water for over a year, hasn't been used, only cranked every once and a while, resulting in the engine leaking saltwater out of the water pump, over the engine block. I had the boat towed out of the water as a result of that.

The wiring has completely been re-done in the entire boat and she fires up really nice on the first crank and idles nicely.
    That's as far as we went, considering the engine condition.
    But now that we got her out of the boat and into the light, the situation kind a looks worse.

See for yourself:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5653.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	568004
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_1528.jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.7 KB ID:	568005
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_1572.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	568006
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_1575.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.7 KB ID:	568007
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2198.jpg Views:	1 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	568008
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2212.jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.6 KB ID:	568009
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2197.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.1 KB ID:	568010
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2205.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	568011

As you can see a the engine is really begging to be worked on.
    But finding overhaul kits or similar packages is really difficult.

We have the option to buy a new Mercury/Mercruiser Engine with a 1 year warranty, but we're wondering if it connects to the gearbox/V-drive.

Hope you guys can help us out getting this baby back on the water.

Cheers,

Pieter & Ysabella
    Last edited by PJ_Danielse; 09-10-2018, 08:36 AM.

Well yea, it certainly looks bad. That said, you would be shocked at what a good engine rebuild shop can do. They can bead-blast all those rusted parts and repaint them. If the compression is still good and there's nothing really wrong internally, this engine could be perfectly fine.

-Charles

Comment

Working...
    X