Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G25 in salt water

Hi all,

Just moved from inland NC to the coast with my 2016 G25. I've only ever heard bad things about putting any type of wakeboarding boat in salt water but have seen a couple different models running around the inter-coastal. Was wondering if anyone could provide me with any insight on any modifications I need to do to my boat in order to put it in salt water or if this is just a bad idea in general?

Thanks in advance.

They make a Coastal Edition, basically allows you to flush entire engine out after each use along with some other benefits, honestly not sure of them all but it helps for sure. Then you are also pulling the salt water into your ballast tanks, not sure how that is dealt with. Tough call cause while I would not want to put my boat in salt water, if I moved to the Coast and that was the only way to get out, I would make it happen. You need to do some research on what you should do to protect it (corrosion protection, etc) and decide if its worth using your current boat, or getting one that is a "coastal edition" so its a little more protected as that will probably help resale down the road as well for you cause I can guarantee you this, you WILL take a hit on resale, pretty much once used in salt no one inland will want it....but you will still have buyers there and if you protect it right and/or Coastal Edition, would think you can do ok. I know even if it cost me more, I would not give up surfing....I enjoy it way too much. Its simply a way of life for me at this stage in my life and NEED it for stress relief
    Last edited by Infinity; 06-22-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Just a warning your typical painted trailer is going to go to waste. I’d sell it well it’s good and buy a galvanized.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

I'd sell and buy a coastal edition. Well worth the time and money. Salt will eat up your boat otherwise and depreciate much faster.

Comment

Salt destroys everything... Well except fiberglass.

Comment

GMLIII has a Coastal Edition boat, perhaps he can tell you all the differences so you know the pros/cons

Comment

Originally posted by Infinity View Post
              GMLIII has a Coastal Edition boat, perhaps he can tell you all the differences so you know the pros/cons
              Coastal was about a $5000 upcharged. I use in fresh water now but bought coastal model because we may be moving to the gulf within 24 months .
              Coastal comes with built in auto flush, all gas seat hinges are stainless bodies vs plastic, tower and windshield frames is powder coated, has extra water filtration system required by many coastal area and state controlled reservoirs., fresh water system vs raw water cooling system ( antifreeze required ). These are the major differences

Comment

Thanks for the advice all... looks like I'll be looking at new boats this weekend!!

Comment

I bought g25 coastal edition a little over a year ago and it had 50 hrs of salt water use and you could tell. I had to have several items stripped, baked and recoated due to corrosion. Salt is tough on them. I do however have a 1 year old, boatmate galvanized trailer that i would swap if you interested. I would say if you put a flush kit on it and wash it down and flush it out after every use you would be ok.

Comment

@GMLIII looking to purchase either a G23, or G25. I'm planning to keep it in Austin, however, just in case I bring it down to Miami, looking at the Coastal Edition. I'm thinking the G23 with the 450 (one less thing to break w/o a supercharger and considering the ballasts are the same and should get deeper drag = bigger wakes with the lesser displacement of the G23). Does anyone have any suggestions on size and engine as it correlates to saltwater / rougher seas?

Comment

Originally posted by fearocks View Post
                      @GMLIII looking to purchase either a G23, or G25. I'm planning to keep it in Austin, however, just in case I bring it down to Miami, looking at the Coastal Edition. I'm thinking the G23 with the 450 (one less thing to break w/o a supercharger and considering the ballasts are the same and should get deeper drag = bigger wakes with the lesser displacement of the G23). Does anyone have any suggestions on size and engine as it correlates to saltwater / rougher seas?
                      I don’t think the 550 would make any difference with salt water vs rough seas than the 450 IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by GMLIII View Post

I don’t think the 550 would make any difference with salt water vs rough seas than the 450 IMHO
                        Great, I didn't think it would, but wanted to get a second opinion! Any thoughts between the G23 / G25? It looks like you went with the G23.... I'm also thinking the 23, for a better wake, but not sure if that'd be the case. What made you go with the 23, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by fearocks View Post

Great, I didn't think it would, but wanted to get a second opinion! Any thoughts between the G23 / G25? It looks like you went with the G23.... I'm also thinking the 23, for a better wake, but not sure if that'd be the case. What made you go with the 23, if you don't mind me asking?
                          Better wake out of the box vs 25 even though I tweaked mine with 750 lbs of steel shot bags . Even if yuh don’t go in salt water I think the $5000 upgrade for a Coastal model is worth it fir the options and heavy duty featured offered

Comment

Does the Coastal still get only 3 years of warranty, or did that change recently? I seem to recall there might have been a change.
                            Last edited by blueroom; 07-02-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueroom View Post
                              Does the Coastal still get only 3 years of warranty, or did that change recently? I seem to recall there might have been a change.
                              Good question, I'll ask the dealer and post if anyone hasn't

Comment

Working...
                              X