Fake-A-Lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake-A-Lake?

I have a Moeller Fake-A-Lake. I tried using it for the first time the other day. I was a little concerned that the plunger didn't seat flush against the hull because the brass water intake fitting is so large. I turned the water on and started the engine. Water started coming out of the prop shaft as it should, but after about 30 seconds there still was no water coming out of the exhaust. I was afraid that the engine wasn't getting water so I turned the engine off. Is this normal? Does it take a while for water to start coming out of the exhaust?

I'm interested in hearing what others are using to run their boats in the drive way? Is there a fake a lake with a larger plunger that will fit completely over the water intake so the plunger can seat flat against the hull?
    Last edited by Evening Shade; 06-23-2017, 10:21 AM.
    2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 1995 Cobalt 200

I don't know that I've ever seen a perfect fit with the fake-a-lake, mainly you just want to have a little reservoir for the engine to suck water in. It shouldn't take too long to get circulating... wondering if maybe the t-stat wasn't open yet to let water in? I don't know how the new engines are regulating all of that.
    2018 SAN 230
    1981 Ski Nautique
    Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
    Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

Originally posted by surroundsound64 View Post
      I don't know that I've ever seen a perfect fit with the fake-a-lake, mainly you just want to have a little reservoir for the engine to suck water in. It shouldn't take too long to get circulating... wondering if maybe the t-stat wasn't open yet to let water in? I don't know how the new engines are regulating all of that.
      I was wondering the same thing about the t-stat, but didn't want to risk anything if water wasn't getting to the engine. It was definitely getting plenty of water to the prop shaft seal though.

Comment

I've read the fake a lake doesn't provide enough water because most hoses don't have enough pressure. I just stick the raw water inlet tube into a 5 gallon bucket and use that. Even with the hose filling the bucket with the engine at idle, it can't keep up with how much water the engine uses.
        2000 Sport Nautique - GT40, Origin Wake Tower, 2700lb Ballast System

Comment

Originally posted by MLars View Post
          I've read the fake a lake doesn't provide enough water because most hoses don't have enough pressure. I just stick the raw water inlet tube into a 5 gallon bucket and use that. Even with the hose filling the bucket with the engine at idle, it can't keep up with how much water the engine uses.
          There's no way I would be able to get the raw water inlet hose to reach a 5 gallon bucket in my boat.

Comment

This is what I installed and comes with a quick disconnect for your water hose, also use it to winterize with antifreeze. You can buy parts and make something similar or cheaper, but the quality SS valve and bronze parts add up fast.
            http://www.quickflushvalve.com/how-it-works.html

Comment

I have a large fake a lake for sale that works on 2017 G23's so it should work on your boat if your interested?

Comment

Originally posted by nohlan_4 View Post
                I have a large fake a lake for sale that works on 2017 G23's so it should work on your boat if your interested?

Does the plunger on your large fake a lake fit completely over the brass intake fitting so the plunger can seat flush against the hull?

Comment

Originally posted by Evening Shade View Post

Does the plunger on your large fake a lake fit completely over the brass intake fitting so the plunger can seat flush against the hull?

Yes it does. I bought it brand new but my 2013 G23 has the recalled intake scoop on it which they added on the older year G's to help more water get into the intake. Which makes my intake too large for it to fit. I test fit it on a 2017 G23 at the boat show I bought it at and it fits perfect if your interested. Brand new never been used.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....equestSource=b

Comment

Working...
                  X