How to polish glass scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to polish glass scratches

Does anybody have any knowledge on how to polish out scratches in glass? I was putting the bimini back on my 230 and I mistakenly drug the aluminum across the windshield, leaving some scratching. I dont want to pay several thousand to replace the windshield, so I am looking for ideas. Thanks.

Plastic windshields have many easy and inexpensive fixes but
    Glass is very difficult to fix. It may be cheeper to replace. Just my 2c
    Last edited by Schwiiing; 02-27-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Depending on the depth of the scratch you might want to consider a professional repair. I few years back I got a relatively deep scratch in the windshield on my car. A local glass shop had a mobile service to complete the repair in my garage. The guy used progressively finer grinding discs before compounding and polishing. I took him approximately 20 minutes and cost me $80. When completed the windshield was as new with no distortion.

Comment

If you find someone good like James did, then it's well worth it. I did the same thing: scratched with the bimini. I tried polishing (...spent hours, followed advice of a guy who put up some good tutorials, etc.) In the end, the glass looked pretty good, but there was noticeable distortion where I made the repair. Ultimately, I bit the bullet and replaced the windshield because I'm anal and couldn't live with it.
        Previous boats:
        2015 G23
        2008 SAN 210
        2002 XStar
        1995 Sport Nautique

Comment

I did the same thing on ours. I'm telling my wife it's cheaper to just upgrade to a 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
            Depending on the depth of the scratch you might want to consider a professional repair. I few years back I got a relatively deep scratch in the windshield on my car. A local glass shop had a mobile service to complete the repair in my garage. The guy used progressively finer grinding discs before compounding and polishing. I took him approximately 20 minutes and cost me $80. When completed the windshield was as new with no distortion.
            Wow! I'm surprised you were able to have that fixed and not have any distortion. That's seems impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by xrichard View Post
              If you find someone good like James did, then it's well worth it. I did the same thing: scratched with the bimini. I tried polishing (...spent hours, followed advice of a guy who put up some good tutorials, etc.) In the end, the glass looked pretty good, but there was noticeable distortion where I made the repair. Ultimately, I bit the bullet and replaced the windshield because I'm anal and couldn't live with it.
              What did the replacement cost? I assume you had Superior do it?

Comment

Well, I did some research and tried using metal polishing compound on the scratches. It worked quite well, in case anyone else ever needs this tip. No need to replace the windshield now.

Comment

That's great!

Comment

Nice. Good to know.

Comment

Working...
                    X