Wakesurf board recommendation..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wakesurf board recommendation..

Hi there just getting back into wakeboarding and grew up skurfing on old surfboards and wanted to try out a wakesurf board. Looking for one for bigger sized guy 240lbs. Looking for a board that will carve nicely and easy to teach new folks how to skurf. Would love to hear some of your experiences...
    Thanks,
    Al

Don’t take this the wrong way, but what do you mean by skurf? Back in the 90s what we called skurfing was just a precursor to wakeboarding. We took a surfboard and rode it like a ski. You can do that with pretty much any sized board. Waksurfing is using the boat’s wake to propel you on the surfboard instead of using the rope. That’s a little trickier logistically. Your size tells me you need a big board but how big really depends on the boat you’re surfing behind and how it is set up.

I’m riding behind a Nautique 230 set up with about 3,200ish lbs of ballast. I don’t want to get into some appendage-measuring contest here over boat models but the push i get is at least above average. I primarily use my 5’ Doomswell Neo for teaching now. I’ve taught people up to about 250lbs how to go ropeless with that setup. I’m 6’2” and 220lbs. I personally ride a 4’8” Neo. In my older boat (a 1995 Nautique Super Sport with about 3,000lbs of ballast) I ran a Liquid Force Rocket 5’4”. I honestly hate that board for everything but learning to get up and hang ten. But if you can’t go ropeless on that setup, it’s not the boat’s fault. I’ve ridden that one ropeless behind a SN2001. There are a ton of boards and brands. Just make sure to check the manufacturer’s recommendation in size and keep in mind that the boat you’re riding behind makes a difference. So if you’re just getting started, I suggest getting a board comfortably in your weight range and just plan on upgrading once you get the hang of it.

Comment

If you're looking for a starter/intermediate level or boat board the Hyperlite Shim is hard to beat. I was able to get one for $320 delivered off of Gear Trade as new old stock but I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere near that in a month or two as the season closes. The key to getting mine riding well was eliminating the middle fin. Very easy, stable board with just the 2 outside fins installed but will still cut well for the more advanced rider.

Comment

I am With BTturner

if you have some total newbs a Hyperlite Broadcast is the way to go. It’s very stable , quick down the line and easily to get up on. If you have past wakeborders or very athletically inclined people , the Shim is the better option. It carves better , is faster , and is way more responsive. It’s a fan favorite on our boat even with dedicated Surf Style boards in our quiver. The other yuuuuuuuge bonus is the way the Shim is made( ie construction) it makes it really bombProof and durable. I also recommend dumping the middle fin

Comment

I’m new to surfing but started with a ronix carbon air, and a ronix bat tail thruster (I’m 250-260). (Dealer sold me the boards).

I felt they weren’t a good match for me and ordered a soulcraft voodoo custom for my size (haven’t got it yet) and picked up a phase 5 trident to use it the meantime. (made for big guys). The phase 5 is light years better (for me at least) than the ronix boards. Lots of push, fast, can be setup loose and skate- like or more surf-like (1-2-3 fin setup). Really made a big difference for me. Big proponent of phase 5 skim boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Agree on phase 5! Great boards, extremely light weight and versatile with different fin setups.

Comment

Phase 5 Doctor
              Ronix Koal Fish Classic

I am,about 240 pounds myself and these boards ride awesome! Highly recommend

Comment

Gtsum2. The voodoo is going to blow your mind when you get it. Did you get the proprietary soulcraft fins?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ian S
                2014 SANTE. NSS. Pro balllast. Boatmate trailer
                2004 SANTE. 4000 lb ballast, 2013 graphics (prev). Ramlin trailer
                2009 Moomba Outback (prev). Boatmate trailer

Comment

Originally posted by XBIGPUN66 View Post
                  Gtsum2. The voodoo is going to blow your mind when you get it. Did you get the proprietary soulcraft fins?

Can you please explain the "proprietary Soulcraft fins?" Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by XBIGPUN66 View Post

I don’t know? My board is in production or getting ready for it. Supposed to be end of this month sometime. I just did a custom graphic and color...I didn’t even ask about grip pads or fins?!?!? Input and or ideas??

Comment

The soulcraft fins are carbon fiber canted fins made for generating speed. Specifically sized to your board.

Ian S

Comment

You should ask for them to install the grip pads unless you are a pro. You should ask for the soulcraft fins.

Ian S

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	srwxqhb.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	621103 What ever happened to this stuff now they need pads on their boards???

Comment

I like the pad because they are not sticky. Waxing is an art that I do not understand

Ian S

Comment

Originally posted by Gtsum2 View Post
                              Im new to surfing but started with a ronix carbon air, and a ronix bat tail thruster (Im 250-260). (Dealer sold me the boards).

I felt they werent a good match for me and ordered a soulcraft voodoo custom for my size (havent got it yet) and picked up a phase 5 trident to use it the meantime. (made for big guys). The phase 5 is light years better (for me at least) than the ronix boards. Lots of push, fast, can be setup loose and skate- like or more surf-like (1-2-3 fin setup). Really made a big difference for me. Big proponent of phase 5 skim boards. https://paddleboardsurf.com/wakesurf-boards/

I agree with you on the Phase 5. I don't have a ton of experience but I've surfed a Phase 5 Wahoo and I thought it was a great board.
                              Last edited by Wornwater; 02-19-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X