No announcement yet.

Direct Drive Surf Report - 99 Sport/Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an '86 SN 2001 and we have been able to get an awesome wave out of it. We have a homemade suck gate that we put as far back on the hull right below the decal lines. For ballast we put two 400lb flyhigh's on the sides of the engine compartment and then a 260lb fly high across the back. With the driver and one person beside them and then one or two people in back to throw and catch the rope on the surf side. No perfect pass but we've found we get the best combination of length and height running around 9.8-10.5 just depending if there is more or less people in the boat. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by zeckto13 View Post
      Very cool! Good to see how the boat sits and how far the wave diverges over. Also noticed you have no spray from the shaper. What length of board is that one? I have a 5'4" blue lake. Nice boat btw. If you ever have a video of the wave from inside the boat that would be great to see. Can't wait to get out again but will be a couple weeks for me.
      We did get some spray from my previous shaper version because I could not get the face of it as low (since it was not offset) but the spray would only soak the boat at 11-12mph (when perfect pass would overshoot the speed after starting) and then the spray would decrease and stay out of the boat as the speed settled in at 10.5mph. You can see the spray soak the boat for a few seconds here and then settle down when the speed settles in:

https://youtu.be/eNIygiBSECk

My board is a 6'-4" that I typically would ride on ocean waves (until this summer) so it does have a lot of surface area- I am thinking about getting a wakesurf specific board though because I am sure that the wake has plenty of push for something around 5-5.5'

Here is a clip of my buddy riding...from in the boat:
      https://youtu.be/DQgS43zushc
      The water is about to the rubrail while moving, but it is nice to not have weight in the bow....I think the DD engine location and the ski locker weight is enough forward weight to get a pretty long wave....the two things that we watch for is not slowing too quickly so the wave does not come over the stern, and then obviously letting the waves pass and keeping the nose up while turning around...I had a touch of water come over the bow the other day, but nothing compared to the submarines I have done in my 86! Feel free to ask any other questions because I love discussing this stuff, and my wife and kids don't care about the details!

Last edited by Tom351; 08-06-2017, 07:41 AM.
      1986 Silver Nautique
      1999 Sport Nautique

Comment

A few stills Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-08-05-15h06m12s499.png
Views:	341
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	533130Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-20 09.23.53.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	533131Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-04 09.32.57.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	533132
        1986 Silver Nautique
        1999 Sport Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by jwell12 View Post
          I have an '86 SN 2001 and we have been able to get an awesome wave out of it. We have a homemade suck gate that we put as far back on the hull right below the decal lines. For ballast we put two 400lb flyhigh's on the sides of the engine compartment and then a 260lb fly high across the back. With the driver and one person beside them and then one or two people in back to throw and catch the rope on the surf side. No perfect pass but we've found we get the best combination of length and height running around 9.8-10.5 just depending if there is more or less people in the boat. Hope this helps!
          Same here- my 86 surfed fairly well with the gate, 800lbs in place of back seat, and 800lbs next to engine... I had to run the gate fairly far forward though because the hull is rough and the gate would only stick when forward of the 2001 decals.
          1986 Silver Nautique
          1999 Sport Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by Tom351
            A few stills Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-08-05-15h06m12s499.png
Views:	341
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	533130Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-20 09.23.53.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	533131Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-04 09.32.57.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	533132
            Those are great vids and pics. Thanks for posting. Ordered a second suction handle so I can make gates for each side. Hope to finish and get out next week. Before buying a wake surf board you may want to demo a few. I bought the IS Blue Lake, but I actually like my friends Phase Five Danielo Diamond better. Buyers remorse.

Sent from my iPhone using PLT Nautique

Comment

Also, don't forget to drive in a circle (if not already) It seems to REALLY help with my boat (you can see the arc in the pics above) - for example: when we had less ballast and the rider was "fading" a little too far back the driver could turn a little sharper and really help the rider get some more push.....also, the deeper the water the better: I remember riding one time and the wave just totally lost all push and I lost the wave...when the boat came around we realized that we were on a 6' deep spot in the middle of the 15'+ area where we normally ride- it was as if someone turned off the wave when we hit that shallow area.
              1986 Silver Nautique
              1999 Sport Nautique

Comment

Didn't notice the circle but see it now. Good to know! Ya, I've heard that water depth makes a big difference. Will make sure we're in 15+ depth. As an aside, I also have Fresh Air Exhaust coming this week so will report back on my thoughts once installed. Looks like I can't get out this week so hopefully next.

Comment

We rode this weekend on a 5'-4" Liquid Force Rocket wakersurfer instead of the ocean board that I typically bring. We had to slow down to 9.5mph (on GPS) to be able to go ropeless for any amount of time and there was very little margin for error- if we started fading back at all we would lose the wave- compared to when I ride a 6'0" or 6'4" ocean board it almost feels impossible to fade out the back of the wave, you can recover much easier with the larger board.
                  1986 Silver Nautique
                  1999 Sport Nautique

Comment

Was that with the extra weight on the seat (the 475+275)? I will be getting out next weekend.

Comment

Yep, this is with all of the weight....I think the 5'-4" is just a good bit smaller than we are used to...it worked, but with zero margin for error- riding the ocean board was much more fun
                      1986 Silver Nautique
                      1999 Sport Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by Tom351
                        We rode this weekend on a 5'-4" Liquid Force Rocket wakersurfer instead of the ocean board that I typically bring. We had to slow down to 9.5mph (on GPS) to be able to go ropeless for any amount of time and there was very little margin for error- if we started fading back at all we would lose the wave- compared to when I ride a 6'0" or 6'4" ocean board it almost feels impossible to fade out the back of the wave, you can recover much easier with the larger board.
                        I have a 5' rocket and I couldn't go ropless at all. I'm 235lbs so I thought that was it but my friend who weighs about 190 also had issues. I have a 6'8" ocean surfboard that I might try next time. I thought the issues was my wake, but now think it may just be the board.

I got ballast and made a suck gate. I was all ready to surf this summer but after two failed sessions with the LF rocket I lost motivation.

Now that I know I'm not the only one that had difficulty with the LF Rocket, I'm going to try again with a ocean board.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Try a 60 inch Liquid Force Keen board. I just purchased the 2018 model and it seems whole the wave well . I was able to fade way back at 195 lbs in the wave with no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Blamey View Post
                            I have a 5' rocket and I couldn't go ropless at all. I'm 235lbs so I thought that was it but my friend who weighs about 190 also had issues. I have a 6'8" ocean surfboard that I might try next time. I thought the issues was my wake, but now think it may just be the board.

I got ballast and made a suck gate. I was all ready to surf this summer but after two failed sessions with the LF rocket I lost motivation.

Now that I know I'm not the only one that had difficulty with the LF Rocket, I'm going to try again with a ocean board.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                            Yes, give that 6'-8" a try for sure- the 6'0" and 6'4" boards that work really well for me are both twin fin fish- pretty wide, and with not much rocker at all.
                            1986 Silver Nautique
                            1999 Sport Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by Tom351 View Post

Yes, give that 6'-8" a try for sure- the 6'0" and 6'4" boards that work really well for me are both twin fin fish- pretty wide, and with not much rocker at all.
                              If the 6'8" fails I have an 8'5" Mini Mal to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Blamey View Post

If the 6'8" fails I have an 8'5" Mini Mal to try.
                                Yeah, that might be fun either way...should have tons of front to back range...I'm tempted to bring a longboard out after seeing this:
                                https://www.instagram.com/p/BUnrkNChJCF/
                                1986 Silver Nautique
                                1999 Sport Nautique

Comment

Working...
                                X