in boat 6.5" speakers for 2010 230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in boat 6.5" speakers for 2010 230

I was cleaning my boat yesterday and noticed that I have 3 blown speakers (Polk MM651UM 3 ohm). I have the factory amp and head unit. Should I replace them with the same speakers or is there a better option?

I have spent many, many hours researching this over the past few weeks. I am replacing the Polk Momos that were factory installed in 2007. There are more threads about this very subject than I could even link here. There were 3 main speakers that stuck out, the 651UM ($140/pair), the JL MX-650 ($199/pair), and the Wetsounds XS65i ($175/pair). JL and Wetsounds also have their "big brother", higher wattage counter parts the JL M-650 ($299+/pair) and the Wetsound XS650 ($275/pair).

This is just going to come down to do you want to spend the money to go big and replace all three sets, or have a mix-matched in boat sets. I bought 3 new pairs of the UM651s (for just over $400 on amazon), and I am hoping that it is a good balance between cost and sound. I figure they have to be better than the dry rotted momos...without me spending $900 on 3 pair of JL speakers that would also probably require me to buy another higher power amp to drive them to sound decent.

Comment

Replacing your existing MM651UM with the same would be the simplest and not require any additional upgrades (i.e. amp). Amazon has them for $137 per pair. I dropped in 4 JL MX650 in my Pro Air and love them. Speakers are really a subjective thing and I'd suggest you go with what sounds best to your ear.

Comment

Working...
      X