PerfectPass not powering up, 2006 sv211 w/ integrated Faria Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PerfectPass not powering up, 2006 sv211 w/ integrated Faria Gateway

First off, my boat is currently 3 hours from me, and the next time I see it will be July 4th holiday, so I unfortunately cannot test much (if anything), so I'm just looking for some opinions for when I get to it.

Last weekend, we were riding along (surfing) in trick mode at 11.2mph, and the perfect pass display shut down, followed by the boat returning to idle. Once in Idle, we turned the boat off, started back up, and the display didn't come back. We also tried turning the battery system off, turned it back on, and nothing, so we did things manually for a while. After slamming the ski locker (somewhat hard, unintentionally), the system came back up, and we ran like that for about a day.

Later the next day, the system went out again, dropped to idle the same way as before, and then we tried the slamming of the ski locker to no avail. We did *not* kill all power to the boat at this time. I drained the tanks and started to head in. *with the perfect pass display out*, once I approached 11.2 mph, the system seemed to try to engage, and then dropped me to idle. Once at idle, I could not get into gear at all. I then powered off the engine (with the battery switch), turned the boat back on and life was good.

I'm sorta in-between thinking that the pp master module (integrated into the Faria box) has died, whether just the gauge has died, or if I just have a loose connection elsewhere. I found the Faria manual online and have been reading through it. I did play with the connection to the gauge (gray wire that goes into the LCD display), and did not have any luck. I did not play with the other two connections, as I did not entirely know what they did.

No other Faria gauges are affected currently, which in my mind tells me that the Faria box isn't dead, but the pp components *might* be. I do have an extra LCD, so if there is any confidence that it might be the issue, then I'm going to take that with me on the 4th, check all other connections, and hope for the best.

I have spoken to pp about this, and have received two different answers. Once person thinks that it's just the gauge, and I should replace that. Once person thinks it's the master module, and I should replace that with a stargazer, which apparently with a different pin-out, will work along side the Faria stuff, as it only needs access to the throttle, and the paddlewheel is completely separate at that point.

I'd appreciate any thoughts as I try to troubleshoot this.

Whew... that sucks... I will tell you as a former electronics technician, the worst faults to try to fix are intermittent ones. Straight up broken things are so much easier to find since they are broke all the time, vice "touching" something and next thing you know it works...but it was totally not related.

With the connectors, it would be easy to check there are only the 4 or 5 screws that hold the instrument panel hood on, but it sounds like you checked that already.

If it is the PP gauge and a capacitor or something is going up inside on the circuit boards, it makes it harder, but you have a spare? I would swap it.. see if it happens with that, if so then you eliminate the PP gauge itself.

If its in the Gateway box... I don't know how to troubleshoot that one.

Good Luck!

Tim

Comment

Great input. I've also pulled up the manual from Faria, and headed through it a few times. Sounds like there are other connections I need to check outside of whati was originally checking.

Hoping this works, I need brand new trailer tires and so this definitely isn't in the budget!

Comment

Alright, new gauge was not the issue, so back to the original, which I prefer and has all my settings built into it.

It's currently working, and did work for our surf session this evening. Basically I unplugged everything from the gateway box, and then plugged it back in, and then beat the side of the Faria box with my hand about 5-12 times... And life is good for now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X