BoatMate Trailer Lights Blinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoatMate Trailer Lights Blinking

Anyone with a newer BoatMate trailer experience the blinking lights when underway? If brakes are on they work correctly. Once I take my foot off the brake all lights on trailer flash constantly (only when lights are on obvisously). Seems like people with Land Rovers have run into this issue (I'm having the issue with a Mercedes Benz ML). Can anyone here provide some advice on how to fix?
    2016 Super Air Nautique 230 (sold)
    2014 Super Air Nautique 230 (sold)
    2012 Super Air Nautique 230 (sold)
    2008 Super Air Nautique 220 (sold)

Try adding another ground wire from rig to trailer separate from the wire harness.
    2004 196 LE Black/Grey
    330HP Excalibur Water Churner
    2002 Grey F150 Harley
    475+HP Supercharged Tire Burner

Comment

Are your vehicle lights blinking along with the trailer lights?

LEDs for trailer lights?
      [URL="http://www.ridebutter.com"]http://www.ridebutter.com[/URL]

Comment

My vehicle lights operate normally. It's the trailer lights that are blinking. Yes, trailer has LED lights. I didn't have this issue with my last trailer that also had LED lights (albeit it was a Dorsey trailer).

Comment

You probably don't have enough resistance in the system. Without an incandescent bulb or some type of a resistor in-line, I think your lights will flash. I bet your other trailer that worked had somthing built in already. One thing you might try is an adapter like this one:
          http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...Module?id=4089

Hope I am not steering you in the wrong direction.
          David

Comment

Unfortunately, the trailer adapter and cable are one unit so I can't use the standard 4 -> 7 pin adapter that would resolve this issue. I'd have to find a male to female 7 pin adapter to put in between the adapter and the plug in my SUV...

Comment

etrailer.com has all sorts of adapters so they might have what you need. Good luck, I hate dealing with trailer light issues.
              Shawn

1999 Black and Tan Python Powered 210

Comment

etrailer.com is where I buy all my trailer accessories. Unfortunately, they don't have anything that would work in this case. I've contacted BoatMate directly and they said that Mercedes should be able to flash the ECU to make this work. I know that's a fix for Volkswagen, Audi, BMW but not for Mercedes. I actually contacted my Mercedes mechanic (head mechanic at the best Mercedes dealership in Dallas) and he's never heard of such a thing.

Comment

By the way, I actually called etrailer.com to see if they had a 7-way -> 7-way adapter that resolves the same issue as the item below does but they said that is the only item they sell for this specific issue...

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html

Comment

Jerry @ BoatMate has been very helpful with this. It turns out the adapter that comes with the trailer is 7-way on one end and on the other end a 5-way with an 8 ft cable in between. I will be replacing this with the following from Wesbar. Then I should be able to use the 7-way to 5-way adapter from etrailer.com to make this all work.

http://www.wesbar.com/content/produc...75&part=787194

I will report back to let everyone know if this worked or not. By the way, if I wouldn't have been able to find this cable online Jerry @ BoatMate was willing to create a custom cable for me (I know it's pretty straightforward and I could do this myself but that's good customer service IMO).

Comment

This does work now. Glad it's all sorted out!

Comment

BoatMate is absolutely top notch with customer service. I am glad you have it working now.

Comment

Working...
                        X