Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linear actuator Trunk install

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9t2vStGuGA
    I picked up a Select Products linear actuator from Brian at Liqued Trends. I had never done one of these actuator installs. It was pretty easy. The linear actuator works with a electronic control box that makes the actuator go up and down. It's a simple install. You figure out how much throw you need the actuators come in assorted lengths. All I had to do was make a mount for the bottom of the actuator to mount to the bottom of the trunk and then mount the top of the actuator to the stock gas shock mount on the trunk. I want to find the Dash mounted button wires (first photo)that I can tie into the controller so I can open & close the trunk from the dash.(So if you know what wires I need to tap into please let me know) Right now it works from the stock trunk release.
    Attached Files

RE: Linear actuator Trunk install

actuators rule. props man

Comment

RE: Linear actuator Trunk install

Can I ask a really dumb question. What is the benefit to this?

Comment

Re: RE: Linear actuator Trunk install

Originally posted by SkiTundra
        Can I ask a really dumb question. What is the benefit to this?
        LOL man. You'd have to meet Grant and see his boat. There doesn't have to be a purpose. The guy has tons of fun figuring out how to install every form of electonics know to man on his boat, and figuring out how to make it look like a factory install. I'm sure he'll answer for himself, but my observation/answer would be the benefit is that Grant has fun doing the projects. BKH
        2001 Super Air

Comment

What is the benefit to this?
          I guess that my trunk opens with a push of a button and your's dosent LOL J/K.
          Brian is correct. I have a tone of stuff on my boat that I guess you could say has no real benefit. Just funky one off projects I did to have fun. These type of projects are a way for me to enjoy my free time. Personally I would rather go tinker with the boat and spend a afternoon doing somthing like this than watching a football game on TV. No offence to coutch patatos. Its just what I would rater do. I love how people say I have to much free time on my hand's. Your wasting your time on the internet looking at my work "Who has to much free time now" LOL.

All joking aside. A trunk acuator is a factory option on some of the SAN's and Ski Nautiques.
          That's what the buttons on the dash are for. To open and close the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant_West
            I love how people say I have to much free time on my hand's. Your wasting your time on the internet looking at my work "Who has to much free time now" LOL.
            Yellow_Flash_Colorz:

As good a reason as any other! Great job btw.

Comment

I like somethings manual and somethings electric. I like to get into things like the access panels without having to have battery power. I may have a dead battery and the tools/jumper box(now that would be stupid) are in the compartment that has an actuator, just food for thought. My 196 has the electric actuator for the rear storage, and so i can't just walk up to the compartment lift the lid and grab what I want, battery on, lift lid move to storage area, grab item, back to cockpit, close lid, battery off. It doesn't sound like much until you have dealt with it for a few years. If someone comes up with a combo that you can have it both ways, then great. But as for your work on the install, it looks top shelf .

Comment

Knowing how Grant watches his batteries, chances he will ever have a dead battery: 0.001%

Even at 0.001% I am sure he has a backup plan.

Benefit... Grant has a place for everything and keeps everything in it's place. I can see the movie playing out. Newbie rider on Grant's boat, from the driver seat he opens the hatch and tells the rider where the rope, boot lube, vest, towel, etc. are without having to worry about him yanking on the hatch without pushing the electric release button.

Comment

Nice clean install. Looks good. I have always admired your boat.

Comment

good stuff G

Comment

that is cool, I like!
                      2008 SAN 210 TE
                      1997 Ski Brendella (sold)

Comment

i want to put one on my engine hatch now, mainly so i can say i have an actuator. i mean is that not a cool sounding word? plus for some reason i've just always been a fan of something fairly simple with so many possibilities

Comment

I want one on my cooler lid with a special graphling hook that also fetches a beer and delivers it...

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeski
                            Newbie rider on Grant's boat, from the driver seat he opens the hatch and tells the rider where the rope, boot lube, vest, towel, etc. are without having to worry about him yanking on the hatch without pushing the electric release button.
                            Where is that button? I was also thinking about the dead/off battery situation.

So you can use the button in the deck in the video or from the helm right to open/close the lid. How close is that to the actual swing with the gas shock?

Comment

I want one on my cooler lid with a special graphling hook that also fetches a beer and delivers it...
                              I already have one of those - it's called a kid....

a custom actuator and grappling hook would be cheaper

Comment

Working...
                              X