No announcement yet.

G23 Prop Fell Off .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be that dealers would rather be quiet about it unless they had a customer who experienced the problem.

Comment

what month and year was your g23 built? I wounder if there is any collation between dates shafts were bought and installed? sorry about your break down , hope CC gets you back on the water quick!!!!
      2013 G23 super air
      2010 230 super air
      2009 220 super air
      2008 210 super air
      2005 210 super air
      2003 calabria pro air

Comment

If there is a failure, you are likely losing a prop and having gel work redone. This is easily a couple of thousand dollars on top of the warranty claim for the shaft (trust me I have had to have gel work before). Nautique isn't in the business of spending money for no good reason or gambling that something won't happen. A large recall would be out there and people would be called to bring there boats in. I can't imagine the PR/customer relations nightmare that would hit if a bunch of shafts were known to be bad, broke and they did nothing. Nautique would likely have those dealers for lunch...Also, how many people would re-think there next boat purchase if the dealer didnt do something for there $120K+ boat and they got stranded and left without a boat for part of the season? I know I would.

Not to say this stuff hasn't happened sporadically around the country, but I'll trust Phil on this one so far. He has a lot of G boats in the water and would be all over this to protect his customers. Every little thing (mirror clamp, tower braces, rudder, etc.) that has been a recall on my last 4 Nautiques has been done as soon as the recall came out.
        Current Nautique: 2013 G23
        Previous Nautiques: 2012 SANTE 230, 2011 SANTE 230, 2010 SANTE 210, 2006 SANTE 210

Comment

I asked my dealer about this issue and they informed me there was a bulletin out on this where dealers are advised to check the length of the piece protruding from the hull which holds the prop shaft. It is supposed to be a certain length and I guess if it is wrong it will be too short from my understanding.

My boat will be going in beginning of May for warranty work and NSS so they will be checking mine then.

Comment

Originally posted by schaabj View Post
            I asked my dealer about this issue and they informed me there was a bulletin out on this where dealers are advised to check the length of the piece protruding from the hull which holds the prop shaft. It is supposed to be a certain length and I guess if it is wrong it will be too short from my understanding.

My boat will be going in beginning of May for warranty work and NSS so they will be checking mine then.
            Forwarded this to Phil as well....We'll see if there is a response...bulletin vs. recall is where I am sure this whole thing is going....hopefully dealer's saying no prob aren't blowing smoke...seems silly to be playing with fire if you are a dealer and not informing people of this....a lot on the line...
            Previous Nautiques: 2012 SANTE 230, 2011 SANTE 230, 2010 SANTE 210, 2006 SANTE 210

Comment

Apparently bulletin is for a limited number of boats w the 550....

Comment

Originally posted by AllianceBJJ View Post
                Greeeaaaaatttttt

Comment

Originally posted by AllianceBJJ View Post
                  Interesting.. lion and I have 450s.. I wonder if that's why our dealer wasn't concerned.?

Comment

Originally posted by biggator View Post
                    Interesting.. lion and I have 450s.. I wonder if that's why our dealer wasn't concerned.?
                    Our deal confirmed that my hull (and likely yours) were not part of the service bulletin.

Comment

My G25 was delivered last October 2012, I think I ordered in in late Aug so it had to be some of the first ones produced,

Based on the posts here, it does not sound like the 450 is involved, since there is no 'bulliton or recall' for the 450 based on the diameter of the shat. It was expalined to me the the shaft extends down from the housing type area is 'milled down' from the original diameter, in other words, the shaft is thicker inside the housing area, and they are breaking where the the starts to taper down in thickness. or is breaking in the area where it extends down to the prop

- I am going to guess that the shaft is the same as the 450 and 550, does anyone know?

Everyone knows that the dealers are all about service when buying a Nautique, and it sounds like some of the first ones with the 550 had these issues and upon realizing the problem, immediately made modifications on the newer 550's. Once the shafts are replaced, I suspect the problem and posts will go away.

Comment

Holy Crap. Sorry to hear about that.... 550 or 450 motor??
                        2019 G23 450
                        2014 G23 550
                        2013 G23 450
                        2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
                        2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully they fix it asap for you!
                          2018 SAN G23 XR550
                          2015 SAN G23 XR550
                          2014 SAN G23 XR550
                          2013 SAN G23 XS550
                          2013 SAN G23 ZR450
                          2011 SAN 230
                          2010 SAN 230
                          2000 XStar
                          www.mnspringride.com

Comment

Sorry to hear this! Glad you got back safe and didn't get stranded in the middle of a big lake. Hopefully you can get it back on the water quickly.

As for the shaft size, I know CC has been using 1 1/8" shafts on their v-drives since at least the mid 90's. If the service bulletin was to put a thicker shaft on then it sounds like your dealer was not being very truthful. I think there might have been some information about shaft thickness in the Yeargin interview on the main page.
                            Shawn

1999 Black and Tan Python Powered 210

Comment

Originally posted by nyryan2001 View Post
                              Holy Crap. Sorry to hear about that.... 550 or 450 motor??
                              XS550 Engine

Comment

Wow, sheared right off. This is a huge issue.
                                Now
                                2000 SAN

Previously
                                1999 Air Nautique
                                1996 Tige Pre-2000
                                1989 Lowe 24' Pontoon / Johnson 100HP outboard

Comment

Working...
                                X