Walter V-drive oil leak??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter V-drive oil leak??

I have a walter nv-26d v-drive in a 2005 SAN 210 that leaks oil? It runs down and drips from the oil pan area. Does anybody else have this problem? I looked at two brand new Sanger V215's with the same nv-26 v-drive and they both leaked also. Does anybody know where it could be coming from and how to fix it? Possible recall problem?

RE: Walter V-drive oil leak??

you might start by cheking every bolt on and under it for tightness.

Comment

The 03 that I had before I got my 06 had this problem. It is most likely the gasket that walters uses on the oil pan. It is like a brown paper bag material. I took the oil pan off mine and got some form-a-gasket and made a gasket out of thicker material........never had the problem again. We did the same on my buddies 01 as well with the same result. I must note that both of ours were out of warranty, if yours is still in warranty I would check with the dealer; Im pretty sure that all the work we did would have void the warranty. Hope this helps.

Comment

06210 rider,

I have the same problem in my SANTE 210.
        Do I need to remove the V-Drive to fix it?
        Is it complicated?
        Thank you

Comment

Walter V-drive oil leak??

God bless if some one found thier v-drive have oil leak, its great fortune if can find some where cause and fix it witout pull the v-drive out,, ,you need disasemle the shaft coupler first, remove the back cusion and the floor,remve the trans control cable,V-drive cooling hoses, pull the v-drive with the transmision, find where leak, tighten the bolts
          or make a new gasket, chalk all position as detail as possible for easier aligment when put it back ,complicate? try it,u can do! if u want fix oil leaking.

Comment

SLow Leak

I have a 2004 SAN LImited and have a leak. It is very slow and I have checked all bolts. It's not easy because some of them are hard to get to. Someone mentioned to me that there may have been too much oil when they changed it and blew a gasket or something. I don't think that's the issue because it literally just drips ocassionally. Through the entire winter it dripped quite a bit but I still can't find it. Even after the paper towel trick .

Comment

I feel bad reviving an old thread, but my v-drive light wouldn't go off the other day and it turned out I was way low on oil. My concern immediately was what happened to the oil and the "paper towel" trick confirmed my suspiscion -- I seem to have a slow leak from the pan on my walters.
              :evil:
              After reading through a handful of threads about this all-too-common issue, the only fix I found is to replace the stock pan gasket with something a little more robust, which apparently can only be done by removing the v-drive? Can someone confirm, and how difficult is it to remove the v-drive for this fix? I'm suspect it's something I won't be all that excited to tackle but would like to hear from someone who has tried it themselves.
              '08 Super Air Nautique 210

Comment

I have the same leak. You would think that this would be a warranty issue!!!! Or even a recall

Comment

Have same leak in my 02. I keep a quart of SAE30 on the boat. Check it every weekend. It leaks, but it works.

Comment

Keeping a qt of 30wt on the boat and monitoring level is my short-term plan that hopefully won't become long-term. I'd love to fix the issue if at all possible, but from what I've read it sound like the fix may be pretty labor intensive.

Comment

I am somewhat confident that I could get the bottom of the V-drive off and replace the gasket. Problem is that I would probably not be able to see it all that well when putting it back together and it would probably leak again anyway. From checking around too, I am not 100% certain that it is the bottom seal on the thing and could be one of the seals around the shafts. That would mean pulling the whole unit and rebuilding. Not all that great either.

Yep, it's a short term fix that means you keep your fingers crossed and some oil on the boat. My leak is not all that bad, and we can probably run 40 hrs or so without worry, others may have it worse.

Comment

Had the same problem. Decided to fix it myself after calculating the time and cost to take it to the dealer. It's really not that difficult and took me about two hours from start to finish and costs about three dollars for the gasket material. I cut a new gasket using the old one as a template instead of using a liquid gasket making material because if I ever have to take it apart again there is no way I can get under the vdrive to scrape it all off. And - no - you don't have to remove the vdrive.

Comment

Wow, I figured this thread was dead a long time ago. Well I hate to hear of others having the same issue and yet I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one. Good to hear about the 2 hrs which means 4-6 my time . I am not certain it is the gasket and am going to continue to look for the area - even if I have to spread flour or some sort of mechanism to find it - yes flour - it sounds stupid but it was a suggestion - maybe the guy was pulling my leg thinking oh crap he took me seriously - smile. I to have read many postings of this and yet have not heard of any recall information or concern from CC. If anyone discovers a more conclusive or different location of the leak other than the pan gasket let me know.

Comment

My "paper towel" test showed four spots, most likely around the bolts that secure the pan. I was able to get a wrench on them and turn all a little bit, maybe up to a quarter turn. I have no idea how they could have loosened and am suspect the gasket material is just wearing out.

MikeC, that is definitely what I wanted to hear, tho!! If it continues to leak it sounds like something I might be able to address myself, although I'm sure it'd wait until the end of the season.

Comment

wow, this season on first water check I noticed mine was low to non, I have 02 sante. Guess I need to do the papertowel trick.

Comment

Working...
                              X