1994 SNOB - Altitude Change Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 SNOB - Altitude Change Issues

Howdy. New here to this forum. I'd like a little advice on a couple of issues.

1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow. 5.8 / 351 PCM EFI Pro Boss (TBI and not the GT-40) 1:1.23 PCM transmission. 625 hours. I've owned the boat for 5 years.

Issue One
    . When I'm running at idle for anything longer than 10 seconds or so, the engine seems to "load up" on heavy acceleration (skier pull-up acceleration). Very poor performance. Feels like a 4 banger vs. a V-8. However, if I go to neutral and give the throttle 3 or 4 "revs" up to 3,000 RPMs or so, and then immediately go into gear and accelerate, the performance seems to be normal. Also, the exhaust is a little more "gray" than I expect and I get a clear smell of un-burned hydrocarbons. Reminds me of the muscle car exhaust smell of the late 1960's.

Suggestions? I've heard that these early EFI units can be a bit troublesome and that parts are extremely tough to find.

Issue Two
    . I recently moved from the Houston, TX area to the Salt Lake City, UT area. In Texas, I ran an OJ Legend 3-blade 14X16 prop. W-O-T was about 4,600 RPMs. Boat really ran well (with the exception of the above-described issue). Fast forward to Utah and altitude. I'm typically running at 4,200 feet - with occasional trips up to 5,500 feet. I "propped down" when I came to altitude as I know that the engine performance is reduced by altitude. Texas prop was OJ Legend 3 blade 14 X 16. Just a bit "too tall" for this altitude. 4,300 W-O-T was all I can get. I decided to use an old OJ Legend 3 blade 14 X 14 that works OK, but my RPMs run about 500 to 600 too high at W-O-T. I bought an ACME 1868 4 blade 12.5 X 14.25 (based on a recommendation from ACME). Acceleration and hole-shot is good, but way too many RPMs for my liking. 600 to 700 too high. I'm looking at the ACME 422 or ACME 654. Anybody have experience with these slant-back SNOBS with the 5.8 running either prop at altitude? The Johnson site shows that the recommended prop for the 1:1.23 gearing is the OJ 428 prop 4-blade 13 X 15.5. Would y'all think that this would be similar to the original OJ 14 X 16?

Thanks,

JQ

Clean the Idle Air Control Valve and the sos pad looking filter with electrical cleaner Check plugs for fouling and replace if needed Replace cap and rotor if any signs of pitting.
    Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wandered over to the local CC dealer and the service manager said that he thinks that the injectors might be failing. Anyone have experience with TBI injector change-out in these Pro-Tec units?

Comment

1994 SNOB - Altitude Change Issues

get to know your local dealer but also get to know www.nautiqueparts.com. They are great for having the hard to get stuff. And use the 10% Planetnautique discount PND.

2007 SV211 SE
        2007 SV211 SE
        Tow Vehicle 2019 Tundra
        Dealer: www.Whitelake.com

Comment

If you think that your injectors are flooding then have them flow tested. Might have one or two bad injectors or they might all be bad. Sounds like it's loading up with fuel and my rev'ng the engine your clearing out the extra fuel. There should be a starting circuit which will flow more fuel while the engine is cool which would make your engine rich all the time. A temp sensor could cause this use.

prop:
          I would not go down in diameter, go down in pitch. Keep the largest diameter prop you can or you will loose efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by ddipert View Post
            If you think that your injectors are flooding then have them flow tested. Might have one or two bad injectors or they might all be bad. Sounds like it's loading up with fuel and my rev'ng the engine your clearing out the extra fuel. There should be a starting circuit which will flow more fuel while the engine is cool which would make your engine rich all the time. A temp sensor could cause this use.
            ddiprrt: I think you're on to something. I went to the local CC dealer and he said that it sounds like a bad injector or 2. He called it injector "dribble". The injectors appear to be Holley 250R-123AA. Can't seem to find any on the web. On the PCM website they show an injector "replacement kit" but it is pretty expensive. I was hoping to find 4 injectors and swap-out. Anybody had any experience with locating these old Holley units?

JQ

Comment

I have heard all sorts of Horror stories about the Protec ignition on this site. Just do a search. I would check to see if the engine loading up might be with unburnt fuel. We used to go to Tahoe all the time and would run 2" less pitch at 6000 feet. Same diameter. Good luck.
              Nautiqueless in San Diego

Comment

I had the same year, model, motor...everything. Same thing happened to mine, converted to carb. The system was never as good as it should have been, and expensive to replace. The carb option worked very well, and happy we did it. I don't own the boat anymore, but someone on this board bought it, and from what I know he has not had any problems with the conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X