Stargazer servo mounting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stargazer servo mounting question

I have the stargazer installed, it checks fine on the linkage test, but I'm a little confused on the operation of it with the way the throttle is rigged, if I have it installed correctly. If I have the servo mounted correctly, I don't understand how the servo can accelerate the boat as it doesn't appear the servo is able to open the throttle.

This picture is looking at the engine from the starboard side, stern on the left. Keep in mind it is a V-drive. When the throttle is opened the throttle arm is pulled towards the front of the boat.

Looking from the back of the engine towards the front. This is the throttle cable attached to the throttle arm underneath the intake.

Servo mounted so the hatch can close.

Here is the servo throttle cable coming from around the front of the engine attached to the throttle arm.

I understand how once the throttle is manually advanced, the servo can pull it back, but shouldn't it also be able to open the throttle plate?

Thanks
    2018 SAN 230
    1981 Ski Nautique
    Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
    Sold - 2000 SAN

That looks correct. When you advance the throttle you actually go past the desired throttle position. The servo either lets out slack or winds it up to get the throttle in the correct position for the desired speed.

You can see this by advancing the throttle to 3/4 or so (with the engine and ignition off) then unwinding and rewinding the black servo knob. Your throttle position should move back and forth. (Just the throttle plate, not the throttle handle that you control.)

Comment

When unwinding the knob, there is no force to open the plate as it is just unwinding cord.
      2018 SAN 230
      1981 Ski Nautique
      Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
      Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

The module cannot run the engine outside the parameters you set with the manual throttle cable. You can override it in either direction with the throttle lever. However, if the module cord breaks, I am pretty sure you will have no throttle control if I remember right. I installed mine, and remember trying to over think it, but it works perfect.
        2005 SV-211

Comment

Perfect pass pulls back the linkage to reduce rpm to the set speed or selected rpm. It can never advance the throttle past the manual throttle position. Your installation appears correct, be prepared to make some minor adjustments at the point where the two cables meet if the rpm is high or doesn't want to stay steady.
          2005 Ski Nautique 206 SE, Acme 422, PP SG 8.0, ND Tower
          2011 strada with strada bindings

Prior Boats:
          1986 Sunbird skier with 150 Evinrude VRO
          1992 Mastercraft prostar 190, with Powerslot
          1999 Ski Nautique GT-40
          1999 Sport Nautique, GT-40 FCT,

www.skiersofknoxville.org

Comment

Ok, that makes more sense... That it rightfully cannot advance it. So while pulling a skier through a turn to maintain speed will still require manual assistance.
            2018 SAN 230
            1981 Ski Nautique
            Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
            Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

The throttle arm floats, you give it a little more than it needs and the servo pulls it back as needed. There should be a spring on the throttle arm that is pulling it to where you have it set. It's hard to describe, but when you see it work you'll understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by TX-Foilhead View Post
                The throttle arm floats, you give it a little more than it needs and the servo pulls it back as needed. There should be a spring on the throttle arm that is pulling it to where you have it set. It's hard to describe, but when you see it work you'll understand it.
                In addition to the return spring that is seen in the last picture?
                2018 SAN 230
                1981 Ski Nautique
                Sold - 2011 Sport 200V
                Sold - 2000 SAN

Comment

The gap between the throttle cable and the outside of the PP cable that is closed in the pics opens up and the arm on the throttle plate moves back and forth between two. It really doesn't look like it would do what it does since the two are basically connected until the speed is set and the PP takes control.

Comment

Originally posted by surroundsound64 View Post
                    Ok, that makes more sense... That it rightfully cannot advance it. So while pulling a skier through a turn to maintain speed will still require manual assistance.
                    If you have moved the throttle lever to WOT, the perfect pass will have full engine power at its disposal. I usually limit how much throttle PP has to use and sometimes I have to advance the throttle manually a bit to give more power to the system. Definitely play with it a bit before you commit to pulling on a crowded lake.
                    2005 SV-211

Comment

Working...
                    X