DIY - Vinyl Interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY - Vinyl Interior

This is my first project post on this forum, so bare with me as I go through it. I decided to take on making and replacing some of my vinyl due to age and wear and tear. I will try to detail as much as possible for those who would like try this for themselves. I knew going into this that my work wasn't going to be perfect, but I started with the basics and continued to work through each piece. Overall, I am happy with the outcome.

Tools:

Machine - Singer 15-91 Sewing Machine - This is a 1953 piece and has a gear motor (ie. not belt driven). I would recommend finding a professional machine if you want to sew foam backed vinyl and do a lot of top stitching. I found that www.leatherworker.net was very helpful in finding the best machine.

Material - I worked with www.garysupholstery.com for most of the vinyl. I ended up going with the Nautolex Capitano line. I ordered about 10 square yards to do the backrest, sundeck and three bow cushions. Luckily, I only used about six yards. The original material is foam backed vinyl, but I didn't think my machine would handle it and it was $25.00 a yard. I decided to start with regular marine vinyl.

Foam - I reused all my foam. It was a little condensed, but I decided to minimize effort due to time constraints.

Thread and Needle - Used outdoor V-92 polyester thread from www.sail-rite.com with a size 20 needle.

Patterns - Making a correct pattern is about half of the work. I was able to use the pieces from the original upholstery, but a lot of times I had to use the actual foam part of the cushion to get the shape. Most of my mistakes were from cutting the wrong patterns.

Sewing - I practiced for a few days on cheap vinyl and thread before I continued. The black cushion was my first finished product after about three different attempts. Make sure you practice sewing outside and inside seams. I watched a few videos and got comfortable with my sewing.

Staples - I used Rustproof Monel Staples - $20 for 1000 at home depot and a handheld staple gun. I am sure an electric gun would work great, but I was trying to keep costs down. There are a few threads around here about applying your cushions and different procedures.

Cost - I spent about $250 for everything and it took about three weeks of working in the evenings.

Overall, it was a great learning experience and as I go along I may find a better machine and improve the quality of my materials and craftsmanship. I created simple patterns for the sundeck and backrest to minimize errors and reduce the number of seams. I will try to add more later, I just wanted to get a thread started.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by flipflop; 11-27-2013, 06:18 PM.

Incredible job! Looks better than quite a few shops I have seen!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work! Always cool to see such a tough job done DIY...I really like the accents that carry from the sundeck/engine hatch down to the rear bench.
      2008 230 TE-ZR6
      1999 Pro Air Python-sold and moved away :-(

Comment

BTW. What weight vinyl did you use?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe it was standard 30 oz. Here are a few larger pictures. I also wanted to say, to pull the staples I used a Scratch Awl tool and it worked great.
          Attached Files

Comment

nice work. i like that singer you have there.

Comment

Wow, never ceases to amaze me what guys are willing to undergo. I did a 94 prostar 205 but would never have had the stones to make them from scratch, that is on a whole other level. Looks awesome. With a boat you plan to keep, it certainly makes the boat feel different when u have that much vested.
              Anyone in the future might note that unless foam is completely deteriorated, steam will bring original foam right back to life with amazing results.
              I had know prior experience but post project u feel like u walk away knowing a trade or at least have an appreciation for those that take these projects on or do this for a living.
              Again, well done and thanks for posting.
              [COLOR=#333333]2006 210 TE[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#333333]www.whitelake.com[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#333333]1994 Prostar 205 (restored)[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#333333]1986 Dixie Skier OB[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
              X