My Nautique 220 Home made NSS build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Nautique 220 Home made NSS build

Is anyone out there that has the NSS fitted able to post some photos up of the internals when the black cover is removed?

Reason is , Nautique are not going to be releasing a system for my 07 220 so I have been advised by my dealer. Since I have them the option and its no deal, I am looking at fabricating an alternative.

Tab deployed photo and retracted photo would be great!

Thanks

I believe the reason is because the system is speed sensitive (retracts after a certain speed). Without that feature this can probably be harmful to your boat. I believe a system can be designed for older boats, but this is a feature that needs to be thought through.

2007 SV211 SE
    2005 F150 SuperCrew
    Dealer: www.Whitelake.com
    2007 SV211 SE
    Tow Vehicle 2019 Tundra
    Dealer: www.Whitelake.com

Comment

Yeah I am considering a water pressure sensor using a pitot which will override the switch and retract the tabs. What pressure is unknown and will need refining

Comment

I also have an 07 220 and was noticing a 230 with NSS at the dealer the other day. It had the cover off and it looked really close to the same contours as our hull. I was thinking of taking a piece of thin cardboard over and tracing the hull outline. I realize why Nautique would have the tabs auto-retract but can anyone confirm if it would actually damage the transom at speed? Seems like you would certainly notice it in the steering once underway.

Comment

another '07 220 here... There's many different ways to make the tabs auto-retract, so that's a very reasonable hurdle to overcome.
          I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread, I'd be very interested to see NSS retrofitted or similar fabrication on a 220 and what the results are.

Comment

http://www.nautique.com/models/nauti...f-system?id=93

NSS plate being actuated is shown beginning at the 1:30 mark
            2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition

Comment

Ohh yeah!!! I'm a 220 owner myself and have been thinking about this very same deal!! New boat + 50k or made to fit NSS+5k???? It would be worth it. Not worried about the speed sensitive deployement. That is an easy deal. 230 is very close design. Could you purchase the NSS for a 230 and make it work with some fab work? Of course it can be done!!! Another thought here guys that is floating on wake world I think is a Volvo tab. Not as factory looking but some Malibu guys are doing it.

Comment

here is pic of the volvo lighted controller button. i am a baby, but i think just getting nss system and this kind of button with some other parts would get it done. Wish someone would do it and figure out for us! see the pdf.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by scottb7; 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I started doing up some CAD drawings today for the backing and slider plates. Need to extend the top edge more yet. It is proving complicated to get the blade of the slider to go up behind the swim platform a little. Will update my progress as it goes but it may be a bit slow as work is a bit busy right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378803764.435935.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	367288

Comment

definitely going to keep watching this thread.

just finished my exhaust tube today on my 06 220 and ready for another project for rainy days.

Comment

I've seen the NSS installed on a 230, and the "slider" is curved to fit around the platform bracket so it can retract fully. The system I saw used only screws into the transom and used brass bushings to allow the "slider" to move within the NSS assembly. It's not complex, and would be fairly straight forward to fabricate. The trick will be in the controls, but, a manual switch, or some kind of timed momentary switch would control the actuators pretty well.

And the surf wake produced on the 230 w/NSS is really good! We didn't really tweak it much, used stock ballast and 750 in rear lockers, and I was able to cruise behind the boat around 20' and had no problem staying in the "sweet spot!" Compared to my 230, the NSS equipped 230 had more "push" in the wave, and the shape could be adjusted...
                      Last edited by Miljack; 09-10-2013, 04:39 AM.
                      2008 230 TE-ZR6
                      1999 Pro Air Python-sold and moved away :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Miljack View Post
                        It's not complex, and would be fairly straight forward to fabricate. The trick will be in the controls, but, a manual switch, or some kind of timed momentary switch would control the actuators pretty well.
                        The actuator that is used is pretty much an electric timed linear actuator that is the same as many of the electric trim tabs (http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php...witch-kit-dual). Some of the trim tab controllers are set up to remember their setting, and then turn on at ignition power and retract when power is turned off. My thought was to use a controller like that, but rather than feed it ignition power, feed it a signal that is going through a band-pass speed filter. So you take a paddle-wheel signal and set up a band-pass filter that turns the trim tab on at 5mph and turns it off at 15mph. The trim-tab controller does the rest.

What I really need is a heated garage that can fit my boat over the winter so I can work on this. I agree that fabricating a plate on some slides would not be that complicated. And you could start by just building something that gets held in place by bolting to the swim platform mounts.

Does anybody know where we could steal a paddle-wheel signal? Like off the perfect pass or the gateway box? I'm assuming it just puts out a square wave of some sort. I haven't followed the wires yet, but I'm assuming I can get at that to give me a speed signal we could use.

Comment

Dfoster, you are way smarter then me...see attached figure 6 toward the end shows paddle wheel connection. http://faria-instruments.com/manuals.php
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ok so understand something before you read this. I don't believe Malibu is a better boat or that surf gate is a better design. However I have two buddy's struggling now with buying a 230 or an LsV. The fact is and here come the rub........ The LsV you don't have to weight one side of the boat to get a really clean wave. 230 you still have to weight the surf side to make as clean of a wake. I'll wait for the bashing......

The tabs like surf gate would be much easier to do. I'm just not brave enough to do it on my boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Neverenough View Post
                              The LsV you don't have to weight one side of the boat to get a really clean wave. 230 you still have to weight the surf side to make as clean of a wake. I'll wait for the bashing......
                              The theory behind NSS is that you don't need to weight one side to get a clean wave. It does a similar wave delay that surfgate does. I haven't been able to compare the two, but based on the videos and other discussions, I think that an NSS equipped 230 should be able to get a clean wave with even weight.

Now to get back how to build your own NSS...

Do people think that an RPM control for NSS would work? The Nautique control is based on speed, but it would be easy to use an RPM switch rather than building a custom speed controller. If RPM control worked, we could use a custom switch like this (http://www.bakerelectronix.com/products_rws/), or even a regular one designed for Nitrous systems like this (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...FUXNOgod1ksAiw). So if we turn the NSS on at 1250 rpm, and then off above something like 2500 rpm, we keep the "safety" aspect of it.

would that work? I need to pay attention the next time I surf to see if the RPMs go up higher for a bit while you accelerate and get to your speed. If it stays within a safe range, then one of these switches could be used just off the tach line on any engine without having to do fancy pick-ups off a paddle wheel. One of these switches could control a Lenco trim tab controller and we are done.

Pay attention the next time you surf and post what range of RPMs you hit when accelerating vs. cruise and we can see if that will work. Much easier than designing something custom.

Comment

Working...
                              X