No announcement yet.

G23 Prop Fell Off .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. You are safe, that's the most important thing. Your dealer and or Correct Craft should cover all repair and towing expenses.

Just sucks to have a boat like that and get stranded.
    Boat - 2005 Team 226 -ZR6 - Several Acme Prop's (1234, 644, 1160) Depending on occassion
    Tow Rig - 2008 Chevy Silverado - Duramax Diesel - Crew Cab

Comment

I know that people say that G23s and snapped prop shafts are blowing anecdotal evidence out of proportion, but I spend way too much time on the interwebs and I can't remember reading of any other new boats doing this. I'm pretty sure there are at least 4 separate documented cases that I can think of related to the Gs in the past year. A small number, and pretty bad coincidental luck, if there isn't a problem.

Comment

^^^ upgraded 1.25" shafts on all 2014s+. 4... lets say an even 10 failed propshafts on nearly 900 2013 Gs.
        2019 G23 450
        2014 G23 550
        2013 G23 450
        2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
        2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Here was the info I was looking for earlier (http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...hlight=shaft):

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Meloon

I was reading the discussion following the interview and believe there was some confusion on the new G Series gear ratio. The reduction gear is applied in the V-drive and not the transmission. The 2:1 ratio in the 2014 G Series is applied with the ZR409 and ZR450. The higher gear reduction ratio increases torque at the propeller shaft and requires the 1.25" propeller shaft also used with the XR550 and XS550. Additionally, the 1.25" propeller shaft for all 2014 applications uses 1.25" bore at the propeller instead of the machined 1.125" bore at the propeller on 2013 Model Year XR550 and XS550 applications. This changes the propeller specification for all 2014 Model Year G Series boats.
          Shawn

1999 Black and Tan Python Powered 210

Comment

G23 Prop Fell Off .....

Originally posted by nyryan2001 View Post
            ^^^ upgraded 1.25" shafts on all 2014s+. 4... lets say an even 10 failed propshafts on nearly 900 2013 Gs.
            10 so far. Is the 2014 spec change a concession of a bad 2013 spec? Seems like too many to think that the shafts were flawed. It's just not an inboard part you ever really hear about failing. Where does it leave the 2013 g owners in 3-4 years? How many 2013 230 owners have had their shafts snap off?

Sorta like the stainless props that malibu spec'd, which everybody now knows will throw blades unexpectedly.

The 550s aren't getting the 2:1 tranny in 2014, right? Wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the 550's shaft, strut and prop to a 2013? For the OP he already needs a shaft and prop, so the only extra expense is the larger bore strut, right?

Comment

Im contacting my dealer about this issue. No response so far keep u posted. Really seems like an engineering flaw

Comment

it's amazing that propeller can create enough torque to shear the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by shawndoggy View Post
                  10 so far. Is the 2014 spec change a concession of a bad 2013 spec? Seems like too many to think that the shafts were flawed. It's just not an inboard part you ever really hear about failing. Where does it leave the 2013 g owners in 3-4 years? How many 2013 230 owners have had their shafts snap off?

Sorta like the stainless props that malibu spec'd, which everybody now knows will throw blades unexpectedly.

The 550s aren't getting the 2:1 tranny in 2014, right? Wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the 550's shaft, strut and prop to a 2013? For the OP he already needs a shaft and prop, so the only extra expense is the larger bore strut, right?
                  I will be requesting that Correct Craft replace mine with the 1.25" shaft and new prop. I will NOT risk this occurring again. Clearly this was a design flaw and exactly as you mention where does that put a 2013 G23 in a few years? Is the prop going to fall off every 57hrs? I am not even hard on the boat, 57 hrs in 2 seasons is hardly anything compared to what i'm hearing others use their boats. I only use stock ballast, have never struck anything or overload my boat.

I think Greg Meloon has 100 % admitted this as a design flaw in his quote. Correct Craft has always had my attention as a quality company and I really hope they come through on this issue and make things right.

Comment

Considering these Gs are their top product (with a ton of margin), and the customers buying them are their top customers, many of whom buy a new boat every 1-3 years, I would say that Correct Craft would have to be fools not to at least upgrade the people whose props have been sheered off. Whether or not they recall all 900 boats remains to be seen.
                    Now
                    2000 SAN

Previously
                    1999 Air Nautique
                    1996 Tige Pre-2000
                    1989 Lowe 24' Pontoon / Johnson 100HP outboard

Comment

Whether mine was 1 of 900, or 899 of 900 that this happened to, I would be seriously mad. I have no doubt CC will make it right, but that wouldn't make me feel much better at the time I was stranded.
                      '08 196LE (previous)
                      '07 196LE (previous)
                      2 - '06 196SE's (previous)

Comment

Originally posted by jbach View Post
                        it's amazing that propeller can create enough torque to shear the shaft.
                        Its not torque that shears the shaft. It is a combination of torque and bending cycles because the shaft is spinning and the prop is cantilevered past the last bearing. This fatigue can be exaggerated if a shaft is not properly aligned.

Stress over time is called "fatigue" and is the single biggest cause of catastrophic design failures.

Clearly....the prop diameter/load is way too much for the shaft diameter. Isn't this the same shaft size as my 330 direct drive?

I'd suggest (although not calculated) the shaft diameter (or maybe area) should go up proportional to engine horsepower.

Comment

I think your DD has a 1" diameter. My old 99 Air had 1". Until very recently, I thought it was 1" DD, 1 1/8" VD.
                          Now
                          2000 SAN

Previously
                          1999 Air Nautique
                          1996 Tige Pre-2000
                          1989 Lowe 24' Pontoon / Johnson 100HP outboard

Comment

Originally posted by Chexi View Post
                            I think your DD has a 1" diameter. My old 99 Air had 1". Until very recently, I thought it was 1" DD, 1 1/8" VD.
                            I just checked the 422....1" shaft.

At least it was you....and not one of the East TX guys. That would really hurt.

Comment

Wow, that is just insane. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
                              2011 230 Super Air Nautique

Comment

I have hit ground with my prop twice but have had no vibrations, should I be worried? I have the 450.
                                2015 G23 Coastal Edition 450 NSS
                                2013 G23 Coastal Edition 450 NSS

Comment

Working...
                                X