G23 NSS Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G23 NSS Review

Got to spend about an hour out on a 450 G23 demo and try out the NSS. water was still too cold and there were 20-30mph winds. up front, I am a surf snob coming from a 247. I have surfed behind Malibu's surfgate, so I am familiar with what its capable of and its limitations. I was very impressed with the NSS. Worked exactly as advertised, shows great potential, will be very interesting to see what the Nautiques do with 750s and 1100s in the trunks. you do have to countersteer some against the deployed side when you deploy it...nothing crazy or unreasonable. minimal bow rise, didn't even need the bolster. Not exactly sure what SURF VERT 0 vs SURF VERT 5 is...unless its the length of the deployed gate beneath the water. Surf Vert 0 yielded best results. The pic below is 11.6mph, both rear tanks full, front about 60% so about 2400lbs total ballast. gas tank was 1/8th, 3 men, otherwise empty unloaded boat. NCRS at 5, Surf Vert 0. it looked about the same on both sides. I think we are going to see best results with approx 60/40 weighting to your preferred side. You def can run it perfectly even and switch back an forth... but a slight cheat on weight to one side made a huge difference.

2019 G23 450
    2014 G23 550
    2013 G23 450
    2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247
    2007 Yamaha AR210

Looks pretty good. ESP with low fuel. My 230 wave was much larger w full fuel. And it loved added weight.

Comment

Thanks for the review. How does it compare to the surf gate in the little you got to see it.

Comment

BTW, Ryan, I knew I recognized your screen name from somewhere. I am also on YJB and am upgrading from the 212x to the SANTE 210.

Comment

Nice! I too am coming from a 247 and have a G23 on order. In your opinion how did the G surf wake compare to the 247 at least visually? Also did you play with the settings to adjust the length of the wave? I'm a big guy at 205 so I'm wanting to make sure it has good push for surfing.

Btw, any other pics of the boat? I see the interior accent is yellow, I'd love to see more pics!

Comment

I think NSS is going to be better than Malibu's surfgate. Reason is, the gate technology is limited by how much you sac it out. At a certain point, you sac too much, water will start coming over the tops of the gates and it's downhill from there.

NSS doesn't have that problem with it extending out FROM the boat.... Initial stab I'd say your limiting factors will either be the swim platform dragging if you sac too much... Or horsepower/cavitation to get 10k+ lbs up to 12mph. G23s come with the acme 2323 which is good... But I think the 2315 would have been better for the 15" 1235 stump puller equivalent.

What I was looking to confirm is that with stock ballast you have a long well shaped wave. Just from that pic above I could tell you that you easily have a 15+ft rideable wave on stock ballast. We are going to have some serious waves coming off these boats... For not being designed solely as a surf boat.

Only other critique I'd share would be fill/drain time on the factory ballast. $130k premier wakeboat... Throw a second pump on each tank..... first for no fail redundancy... and also get the fill and drain times under 4min. That would add about $1k to the price of the boat.
            2019 G23 450
            2014 G23 550
            2013 G23 450
            2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

what are the fill/drain times currently?

Comment

Originally posted by nyryan2001 View Post
                I think NSS is going to be better than Malibu's surfgate. Reason is, the gate technology is limited by how much you sac it out. At a certain point, you sac too much, water will start coming over the tops of the gates and it's downhill from there.

NSS doesn't have that problem with it extending out FROM the boat.... Initial stab I'd say your limiting factors will either be the swim platform dragging if you sac too much... Or horsepower/cavitation to get 10k+ lbs up to 12mph. G23s come with the acme 2323 which is good... But I think the 2315 would have been better for the 15" 1235 stump puller equivalent.

What I was looking to confirm is that with stock ballast you have a long well shaped wave. Just from that pic above I could tell you that you easily have a 15+ft rideable wave on stock ballast. We are going to have some serious waves coming off these boats... For not being designed solely as a surf boat.

Only other critique I'd share would be fill/drain time on the factory ballast. $130k premier wakeboat... Throw a second pump on each tank..... first for no fail redundancy... and also get the fill and drain times under 4min. That would add about $1k to the price of the boat.
                Good review, thanks for sharing. Just an FYI that the G's w/ the ZR450 come from the factory with the Acme 2313, which is a 15". I ran the 2315 on mine last summer. Both are 15"x12" props, the difference is in the cup: 2313 has .150 and the 2315 has .105. You'll experience a little better hole shot when heavily weighted with the 2315, and run about 200 more rpms.
                Last edited by ironj32; 03-18-2013, 01:56 PM.
                2018 SAN G23 XR550
                2015 SAN G23 XR550
                2014 SAN G23 XR550
                2013 SAN G23 XS550
                2013 SAN G23 ZR450
                2011 SAN 230
                2010 SAN 230
                2000 XStar
                www.mnspringride.com

Comment

Don't know exact... But Seemed long, need someone else to chime in with exacts. 8-10mins maybe? It's the Jabsco reversibles x3, 1 per tank. I believe it was 1" hose. They fill and drain out thru the same holes in the bilge, so the only peeing you see is if you overfill the tanks. Good solid setup, but you are at no faster than idle boat speeds on draining due to pump pushing/draining water out and lake water pushing in i would believe. Anyone just push thru that and motor home fast while draining? Reciprocal should apply: faster fill times I you are up on plane?
                  2019 G23 450
                  2014 G23 550
                  2013 G23 450
                  2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Iron, yes, thanks for the catch. Yes it's a 2313.
                    2019 G23 450
                    2014 G23 550
                    2013 G23 450
                    2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

nyryan, any other pics of the boat you were on?

Comment

boat we demo'd :
                        2019 G23 450
                        2014 G23 550
                        2013 G23 450
                        2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

iam-- congrats on the upgrade. I kinda miss the Yami at times, we had a blast in that boat. I think its a matter of time until Yami figures out high torque technology on their jets, able to get their boats into the 7-9k lbs range with ballast... and a wake specific hull for 11mph and 22mph. seems like everything they put their efforts, R&D and money behind turns out as a win.
                          2019 G23 450
                          2014 G23 550
                          2013 G23 450
                          2007 Yamaha AR210

Comment

Originally posted by nyryan2001 View Post
                            Good solid setup, but you are at no faster than idle boat speeds on draining due to pump pushing/draining water out and lake water pushing in i would believe. Anyone just push thru that and motor home fast while draining? Reciprocal should apply: faster fill times I you are up on plane?
                            I've noticed on my 210 that if we are draining the tanks while running it's actually faster than at idle. The water going under the boat actually creates a vacuum on the thru hulls. The Bernoulli principle.
                            2012 SANTE 210 (it's official)
                            2008 SANTE 210

Comment

Working...
                            X