Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I convert my carburated 351 to fuel injection?

Default How do I convert my carburated 351 to fuel injection?

Hello all my "2001" nautique lovers! Im thinking about converting my 84 stock 351 to fuel injection. How big of a pain is this process and where do I start? Is it as simple as the manifold, injectors, and air assembly? Does it require some sort of OEM computer or something? What would a ballpark figure for the parts run me? Any info or opinions would be very much appreciated!!!

Thank You

KYancy

Why? The carbed 351 is a great running motor. When tuned correctly it will start with 2 throttle pumps from dead cold and with a quick turn of the key otherwise. If you want more power you could add some GT40 heads but I would keep the carb. As boats age I really prefer the simplicity of a carb.

This topic has been discussed before you can use the search box to get that info. As I recall its not cost efficient . There are a number of systems available the cost is around 1500.00 and up .

Step 1. Unscrew throttle knob.
    Step 2. Sell Boat.
    Step 3. Buy newer fuel injected boat.
    Step 4. Replace throttle knob on new boat with knob from old boat.

I think Holley sells a throttle body injection system kit that would work. But I'll still vote for keep the carb.
    1998 Ski Nautique (Red/Silver Cloud), GT-40, Perfect Pass Stargazer 8.0z (Zbox), Acme #422, Tunable Rudder.

Don't bother with the Holley system, I've never heard anyone say they have one that works. It the Hp these boats develop are at the very upper range of what the Holley can handle. There was someone on CCF who put a Powerjection III system on last summer, he claimed it worked great. After looking into it looks like its about $2000. Really the only improvement over a carb would be easy starts year round, shouldn't be much if any fuel savings with a throttle body system.

Agreed... if your carb is well maintained, you won't notice much of a difference with TBI EFI. I do understand what you're saying though. If it's an easy/inexpensive swap, why not... but it's not.
    '12 200TE
    '08 196LE (previous)
    '07 196LE (previous)
    '06 196SE (previous)

Gotta agree with East TX Skier! The most straightforward (not to mention cost effective) way to convert to fuel injection is to buy a boat that already has it. The conversion will be difficult and expensive. If youre very mechanical, like to tinker, have lots of extra money laying around, and are not afraid of having a non-functional boat for a good long while as you get it to work properly, then go for it!

Many consider this type of project, a few actually try it... and I know of maybe 2 that have successfully finished it. Not for the faint of heart!

I am very interested in this myself. My manifolds are removed right now. I am going to bring one to the machine shop and rework a spot on it to accept an O2 sensor. Im not sure when I going to pull the trigger on the full conversion, but I wanted to start with the O2 modification and maybe the fuel return line to the gas tank. Even if I don't do the efi conversion, I wanted to find out if im running rich or lean. Those wide band guages are nice for fine tuning carberators.

The way I would do this is three simple steps.
    1. Find a marine fuel injected GT-40 engine that is running.
    2. Remove the carburetor 351 in the boat.
    3. Put the fuel injected 351 in it's place.

A friend of mine has a 34 Ford with a 351 in it and he changed it over. He used a FAST set up and works really well but not sure how it would work in a marine application. I have talked to them about it last year but have not decided yet.