No announcement yet.

2003 SANTE battery compartment enlarging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the pics of the finished product with the seat base back in place... I'm fighting with some engine noise issues in the in-boat speakers only, but I hope to have that fixed by this weekend.

Jason
    All black 2003 SANTE
    -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Finally got around to getting a on-board charger and installing it. I mounted it on the driver's side beside the rear bench seat on the hull. Come to find out CC installs some kind of Dynamat material on the side of the hull to dampen noise I guess. Used the same 1/2" HDPE that was used on the rest of this project and glued it to the hull with Liquid Nails. It wasn't quite cured yet when I mounted the charger so tat is why I have a small piece of wood blocking the panel up. (it will come out in a few days) I went with the Pro Mariner ProSport 20+ even though I really needed a 30 amp charger. If this one bites the bullet I will get the 30 amp model, but I was trying to save some money here and found a great deal on this one. I lengthened the wires going to the passenger side batteries without their extensions using 12 gauge duplex safety cable. I don't like the way Pro mariner does their extensions and my way is just a cleaner, better installation IMHO. It does void the warranty, but I'm not really concerned about that. Pics...

This is the mounting location...

Carpet removed and you can see the foil on the Dynamat...

Board and charger in place, wires ran to batteries...

Few shots of interior going back in...

Shot from aft compartment...
      Jason
      All black 2003 SANTE
      -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Holy Smokes Batman!!!! That is awesome work!!!
        2005 SV-211

Comment

nice work indeed, and by the looks of it your system is straight beast
          2003 SANTE - "OG 210"

Comment

Now just waiting on my pair of Rev410's and this little project will be complete!
            Jason
            All black 2003 SANTE
            -- Southern Fried --

Comment

looks great man! Quick question: Did you wire your amp power supply to the + battery terminal directly or to "common" on your Perko? And where is your ground mounted to? I have mine wired to my common on the perko and the ground to the block on one of the motor mount studs and I'm getting some engine noise through my tower speakers which are powered by my amp. Only happens when the engine is running. (sorry to threadjack, your work is amazing!)
              2002 Ski Nautique 5.7 GM Apex

Comment

The amp power is going directly to the house batteries. I used the factory power and ground to the Perko switch. My starting battery is on "1" of the switch, house batteries on "2", and the common goes to the engine. This allows me to separate the starting and house batteries for use, but also use either of them for running the engine if needed. After thinking about it a bit I need to add a battery disconnect for the amp power just in case I need to shut them off quickly. That's the one thing I didn't do. I plan to use one of the factory switches I removed for that. The pic below shows the factory cables on the left running towards the Perko switch. You can also see the 0 gauge cables going to the battery for the amps. I just need to add a switch to disconnect the amp power.
                Jason
                All black 2003 SANTE
                -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Jason,

Very impressive!!

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the detailed explanation with pics Jason. That totally helps. Looks like i need to do some re-wiring.
                    2002 Ski Nautique 5.7 GM Apex

Comment

No problem man... Forgot to mention if your HU, EQ, etc are not all coming from the same power/ground source as the amps that might cause noise. I had the same problem with my in-boat speakers. Moved the power for the EQ and HU to my distribution lock for the amps and the noise disappeared. Something about long ground loops causes this.
                      Jason
                      All black 2003 SANTE
                      -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Little update to this project... One of the main reasons for this whole project.... Rev410's! Just picked them up. Now time to pull them apart for some modifications. More pics to come!

Jason
                        All black 2003 SANTE
                        -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Got the modifications done to my Rev410's! Painted the grills black and rotated them 45 deg. (I'm not a big fan of the Maltese Cross look and the wifey came up with this idea which I think looks good), powder coated the mounts black, and installed Neutrik connectors like the Pro485 had because I can't use the though clamp wiring design. Now I just have to re-pull the wires in the tower (upgrading to 12 gauge wire) and mount the pods.

The inside of the tape lines mark the inner ribs inside the pod. I used them as reference for drilling the hole for the Neutrik connectors. Got to say cutting holes in brand new $1200 speakers is almost more pressure than cutting holes in a boat!

Connectors installed and wiring. I used some stainless 6x32 machine screws with nylock nuts, and sealed them up with some 3M 5200 sealant. I was going to make some aluminum plates to back-up the pod for strength, but these things are beefy. The pod thickness is about 1/4" so I didn't bother.

I sealed up the factory wiring hole with some more 3M 5200...

Powder coated mount brackets...

Grills masked off, just need to scuff and paint them...

Painted...

Grills installed and ready to mount speaker pods. I need to get some black touchup paint to paint the stainless screw heads on the grills and clean up some fine areas on the grills as well.

Jason
                          All black 2003 SANTE
                          -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Had to make a small change to my "house battery" setup as I realized a potential fatal flaw... No battery disconnect! I re-purposed one of the factory disconnects and cut down the factory mounting bracket, then re-bent the flange. Also here are a few pics of the Rev410s mounted on the tower.

Last edited by core-rider; 05-25-2012, 08:03 PM.
                            Jason
                            All black 2003 SANTE
                            -- Southern Fried --

Comment

boat looks sweet as !!! Just wondering, your starboard battery, where is the earth connected. Mine is not conected and cant work out whee it goes???, pic would be good if possible.

Comment

It's hard to see exactly where the ground leads too with the interior back in, but it should bolt onto the back of the engine, either at the cylinder head or more than likely one of the bell housing bolts where the transmission bolts to the engine.
                                Jason
                                All black 2003 SANTE
                                -- Southern Fried --

Comment

Working...
                                X