343 motor in 230?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 343 motor in 230?

hey gang - looking to get input on power of the 343 in a 230? want to know how the power feels with say 8-10 people on board and pulling a wakeboarder? also - will it take the boat forever to get on plane loaded down?

Thanks for the input all...

My 230 and my 236 both had the 6L engine. I did drive one with an Excalibur on the Nautique test lake, and it did fine, but it was not loaded down with people or pulling a rider. I guess you can tell from my boats that I found the larger engine worth the money.

Current Boats —> 2024 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2018 SAN 210 TE -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196 -- 2002 Ski Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique -- 2000 Sport Nautique -- 2000 Nautique Super Sport -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1996 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (Twin-Engine, 1 of 13) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4) -- 1980 Fish Nautique (Twin-Engine, 1 of 4)
    Former Boats —> 2023 Super Air Nautique G23 --
    2022 Super Air Nautique G23 PARAGON -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2021 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2020 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2019 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2018 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2017 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2016 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2015 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique G23 -- 2014 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2013 Super Air Nautique G232012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition -- 2007 Air Nautique SV-211 -- 2005 SV-211 -- 2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition -- 2003 Air Nautique 226 -- 2003 Sport Nautique 216 -- 2003 Ski Nautique 196-- 2001 Sport Nautique -- 2001 Ski Nautique --1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow -- 1999 Air Tique 176 -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1998 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1997 Ski Nautique -- 1994 Ski Nautique -- 1993 Barefoot Nautique -- 1983 Fish Nautique (TWIN ENGINE, 1 of 4) -- 1981 Fish Nautique (SINGLE ENGINE)

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.
    NautiqueParts.com - Roswell Marine - Phoenix Trailers - SkiSafe - PCM Marine Engines - PerfectPass - C&S Marine - OJ Propellers - WakeMakers -- Swell Wakesurf

Comment

are you a nautique shopper because you think they build a superior boat? if so, do you think that they would underpower said boat and risk it having a reputation of performing poorly?

another way to look at it: approx $4k upgrade for the ZRwhatever or $500 for a power prop if you think the boat is underpowered, where would you rather spend your money?

another way to look at it: for pulling power, you need torque. ever wonder why PCM doesnt publish their torque curves for their engines? its easy to make HP, but torque is a different story.

a couple of references for you:
      the base engines that PCM sources from GM and then marinizes, cams, and programs to achieve certain specs (be sure to look at the torque curves):
      http://www.gmpowertrain.com/MarineEn...Portfolio.aspx
      whom all sources their engines from GM before putting their stamp on them:
      http://www.gmpowertrain.com/MarineEn...EMListing.aspx

Comment

One other thing to keep in mind is whether or not you're going to load it down with extra ballast. The boat should run fine within design parameters (built in ballast system, correct number of people on board), but when you exceed the specs considerably is when you run into issues. But as Jeff pointed out, whether or not it's enough is up to you. Some people want plenty of power, some are satisfied with enough to do the job.
        2007 SV211 SE
        Tow Vehicle 2019 Tundra
        Dealer: www.Whitelake.com

Comment

We have the 343 in our 230 and run with an extra 1850 lbs of ballast in addition to the 1100 lbs or so stock ballast for wakeboarding on occasion. Load it up with way more than than for surfing regularly. Pulls for us just fine. Can't say I have ever wanted for more.

Note: Buxton Marine (regularly the number 1 dealer of Nautiques in the country) orders all of their 230s for stock with the 343.
          Current Nautique: 2013 G23
          Previous Nautiques: 2012 SANTE 230, 2011 SANTE 230, 2010 SANTE 210, 2006 SANTE 210

Comment

here is another way to look at it.

drivetrains are designed to run with certain loads (within the design parameters), as mentioned above. trucks have certain axle ratios that allow the engine to run in its optimal power range given a certain tire height. taller than stock tires are more difficult to accelerate due their increased load on the stock drivetrain. when people put significantly taller tires on a truck, they usually need to change to a lower gear ratio in their axles which allows the engine to spin more times per one tire revolution. this brings the final drive ratio back near the OEM parameters.

adding excessive weight to a boat is very similar in that the boat is pushing more water, and doesnt allow the engine to spin up to its intended operating range as quickly. the fix is to change the gear ratio, or in the case of a boat, change the pitch of its prop. changing to a lower pitch prop will allow the engine to spin up more quickly, given the increased load of the water displaced.

keep in mind that the just 10 years ago, 300 hp was considered plenty, and boats were able to perform correctly given they had the appropriate prop. in my opinion, the only major advantage of the ZRwhatever is that has a closed cooling system...

Comment

My dealer is #2 in the US behind Buxton. Like them, he orders all 343's for stock. Of the 93 Nautiques he's sold since January of 2010, only 4 have been 6.0's. That includes 10 200s, so let's say out of 83 wakeboard boats, only 4 had 6.0s.
              Shane Hill
              2014 Team 200OB
              67 '13 Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by NautiqueJeff View Post
                My 230 and my 236 both had the 6L engine. I did drive one with an Excalibur on the Nautique test lake, and it did fine, but it was not loaded down with people or pulling a rider. I guess you can tell from my boats that I found the larger engine worth the money.
                thanks - looking at a used 2008 with 343 and wanted input from members with experience...

Comment

Originally posted by AllianceBJJ View Post
                  We have the 343 in our 230 and run with an extra 1850 lbs of ballast in addition to the 1100 lbs or so stock ballast for wakeboarding on occasion. Load it up with way more than than for surfing regularly. Pulls for us just fine. Can't say I have ever wanted for more.

Note: Buxton Marine (regularly the number 1 dealer of Nautiques in the country) orders all of their 230s for stock with the 343.
                  thanks - spoke with Phil at Buxtons the other day and he stated the same...

i appreciate the first hand experience input

Comment

Originally posted by 2gofaster View Post
                    My dealer is #2 in the US behind Buxton. Like them, he orders all 343's for stock. Of the 93 Nautiques he's sold since January of 2010, only 4 have been 6.0's. That includes 10 200s, so let's say out of 83 wakeboard boats, only 4 had 6.0s.
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tdc_worm View Post
                      here is another way to look at it.

drivetrains are designed to run with certain loads (within the design parameters), as mentioned above. trucks have certain axle ratios that allow the engine to run in its optimal power range given a certain tire height. taller than stock tires are more difficult to accelerate due their increased load on the stock drivetrain. when people put significantly taller tires on a truck, they usually need to change to a lower gear ratio in their axles which allows the engine to spin more times per one tire revolution. this brings the final drive ratio back near the OEM parameters.

adding excessive weight to a boat is very similar in that the boat is pushing more water, and doesnt allow the engine to spin up to its intended operating range as quickly. the fix is to change the gear ratio, or in the case of a boat, change the pitch of its prop. changing to a lower pitch prop will allow the engine to spin up more quickly, given the increased load of the water displaced.

keep in mind that the just 10 years ago, 300 hp was considered plenty, and boats were able to perform correctly given they had the appropriate prop. in my opinion, the only major advantage of the ZRwhatever is that has a closed cooling system...
                      thanks - prop is definitely important and would consider.

checked out your previous links - not much difference in torque between 5.7 and 6.0...

Comment

I have a 2009 230 with the 343 and am happy with it. I do add extra weight and have several people at times, and don't seem to have much trouble. I have driven the 6.0 with similar configuration and didn't notice much if any difference, imo. 6.0 probably better on gas. I also prefer the raw water cooling over a closed system. Good luck!

Comment

I have a 2008 236 Team Edition with the 343 and have had no power issues at all. We regularly run at full capacity or greater with additional 1K ballast on top of stock. As previously mentioned it's realy about torque and getting the engine to make power in the desired ranges. The prop and transfer case ratio probably effect that more so than displacement and overall HP of a motor. If you do slalom skiing or higer MPH activities the larger motor would be beneficial as the HP helps the boat maintain velocity with less effort.

Just my $.02

Comment

I have a 220 with the 5.7 (330hp) that I load down and power is never an issue. I have not driven a 6.0 220 so can't compare. I do have friends that have had the Malibu Indmar 6.2 (400hp) hammerhead motor and moved back the 5.7 (340hp) Monsoon when they bought their next boat due to extra vibration, noise, and mechanical issues.
                            -Jon
                            16 G23
                            07 220 TE
                            05 211 TE
                            95 SS (210)
                            89 SN

Comment

Originally posted by shag View Post
                              I have a 2009 230 with the 343 and am happy with it. I do add extra weight and have several people at times, and don't seem to have much trouble. I have driven the 6.0 with similar configuration and didn't notice much if any difference, imo. 6.0 probably better on gas. I also prefer the raw water cooling over a closed system. Good luck!
                              Thanks - i do appreciate the honest feedback...

Comment

Working...
                              X