diamond plate step replacement ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diamond plate step replacement ???

im in the planning stages of redoing the steps on my 2003 tandem ramlin, and would really like to go with aluminum diamond plate. i found lots of good info in prior threads, and several mentions of doing them in diamond plate. however, i never found one where someone actually redid them in diamond plate or posted any pics. if anyone redid their trailer steps in diamond plate, whether single or tandem, please offer any feedback and pics you might have ...

also, i am awaiting a quote for a sheet of king starboard to see how it compares price wise. i contacted ramlin to see if they offer a diamond plate replacement but they didnt offer that option in 03 and dont currently have anything that fits the pattern.
    2003 SANTE - "OG 210"

I have gotten it as an option for my last two boats. It's very slippery at first, but less maintenance than the carpet/plywood.

Search for a local metal shop. We have several in my area. You might be surprised how cheap they will do that kind of stuff. Just need a pattern. Then get it powder coated.

Having said that, I'd bet starboard would be cheaper since you can do the labor yourself.
    Promo Team member
    1999 196
    2003 196 Limited 2003 196 Limited
    2008 196 Limited 2008 196 Limited
    2010 200 Team 2010 200 Team
    2011 200 Team 2011 200 Team
    2012 200 Team - 2012 200 Team
    2013 200 Team - 2013 200 Team
    2014 200 Team - 2014 200 Team
    2015 200 Team - on the way

Comment

I went through step replacement last season and ended up using something similar to King Starboard (managed to get some cheap). I couldn't locate any pix of diamondplate either, but there are pix in that "other" forum.

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/for...ion-on-ram-lin
      '08 Super Air Nautique 210

Comment

thanks, that thread had some really good info too. the guy did a nice job from the looks of it. i was quoted $400 bones today for a sheet of 5 x 10 eighth inch, which seemed a bit pricey. heres the pic for reference
        Attached Files
        2003 SANTE - "OG 210"

Comment

update on the king starboard ... got quoted $135 for a sheet of black 5 x 10, half inch. looks like im prolly going with that
          2003 SANTE - "OG 210"

Comment

Wow, from what I've seen and was quoted that is a great price for a full sheet! Although I would've considered the diamond plate, the price/opportunity was right on the starboard and it was something I was able to work with, myself. I also think the black looks better than the shiny diamond plate. Just opinion, mind you. Some peeps prefer a more "bling" look.

My starboard is much, much slicker than the carpeted steps were, but I've heard the diamond plate is slick too. You'll dig being able to wipe down your steps and know they're bone dry against the trailer.

Comment

Post a picture when you're done!
              Promo Team member
              1999 196

Comment

will do. probably wont have them done and on the trailer til next spring, with the new non skid "nautique" decals. gotta wait until all the boarding is done, ya know

jhiestand, what thickness did you go with on your trailer? was it thick enough? am wondering if i might should do 3/4 inch as opposed to 1/2 inch. i dont much care about the slickness, i mainly use the fenders and have everyone else do the same.
                2003 SANTE - "OG 210"

Comment

I replaced the carpeted boards on my single-axle Ramlin this summer. I bought the diamond plate from a local metal shop; I used measurements from the old wood and worked with their CAD guy to develop a pattern to plasma-cut it. Cost $150 for pattern and cutting, but I figure I saved nearly that much in saw blades and such, not to mention time, sweat, band-aids, and cussing. Total cost was about $375.

Here's the one pic I have of it; not great, but I actually took the pic to show the water-line shmook on the boat after sitting at the marina while I worked on the trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-07-22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	360351
                  1996 Ski Nautique

Comment

Originally posted by obd666 View Post
                    jhiestand, what thickness did you go with on your trailer? was it thick enough? am wondering if i might should do 3/4 inch as opposed to 1/2 inch. i dont much care about the slickness
                    I didn't really have a choice and got the deal on 1/2". It is definitely thick enough for the steps. If you are considering replacing the carpeted wood for your bow stops, that application probably needs 3/4". I pondered replacing those and actually cut the pieces of starboard, but they looked too thin and I stuck with the carpeted paddles.

Comment

Actually, in addition to potentially using 3/4" for the bow stop paddles, one other reason you might consider the 3/4" over the 1/2" is appearance. Probably not a factor for a black trailer, but on my red trailer I think the 3/4" would look just a little better than the 1/2". Can't explain it, but I'm kind of weird that way.

Comment

Originally posted by bwana50 View Post
                        I replaced the carpeted boards on my single-axle Ramlin this summer. I bought the diamond plate from a local metal shop; I used measurements from the old wood and worked with their CAD guy to develop a pattern to plasma-cut it. Cost $150 for pattern and cutting, but I figure I saved nearly that much in saw blades and such, not to mention time, sweat, band-aids, and cussing. Total cost was about $375.

Here's the one pic I have of it; not great, but I actually took the pic to show the water-line shmook on the boat after sitting at the marina while I worked on the trailer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9511[/ATTACH]
                        looks good man, and that is a great price for the labor and material. as i mentioned i was quoted $400 for just the diamond plate, but i have a tandem so it takes more. anyway, maybe i will check around to see if anyone else is more competitive and include the plasma cutting too.
                        2003 SANTE - "OG 210"

Comment

Won't help those already with trailers, but if anyone is buying a new boat, Ramlin offers the diamond plate deck (powder coated) for a very reasonable price. Has anyone called them to see if they will sell them aftermarket?
                          Promo Team member
                          1999 196

Comment

they told me they didnt offer the diamond plated steps in 2003 and dont have anything in that pattern. im sure they would sell (or let you order through a dealer) the steps if they have them for your particular model trailer
                            2003 SANTE - "OG 210"

Comment

Originally posted by jhiestand View Post
                              Actually, in addition to potentially using 3/4" for the bow stop paddles, one other reason you might consider the 3/4" over the 1/2" is appearance. Probably not a factor for a black trailer, but on my red trailer I think the 3/4" would look just a little better than the 1/2". Can't explain it, but I'm kind of weird that way.
                              yeah thats what i considered, that the 3/4 might just look a bit fuller. the crash pads at the bow of your trailer are carpeted? if so that is interesting, on my trailer they are already a king starboard type material ...
                              2003 SANTE - "OG 210"

Comment

Working...
                              X