SN 200 noisey rattleing sound in rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SN 200 noisey rattleing sound in rear

On sat just received my new sn200. It seems very noisy when its just in gear cruising at the slowest speed or just above that. The same sound is heard in reverse. At higher speeds the noise seems to disappear however im not sure since the engine noise increases enough i may not hear it. My last boat was a sn 196 2003 and I have had 4 other sn that are all fairly quiet when cruising. I called the dealer and he told me that this kind of transmission is noisy at very low speeds. He told me I can call PCM and they will confirm this.
    For me after skiing I like to cruise around listen to the stereo and I find this distracting. Can anyone else on here
    confirm that this is true. To me it feels more like an alinement problem. The sound is not a smooth sound but more of a rattle varying uneven sound. I realize my engine is different from my 2003 but is the tranmission also changed?

Check for possible loos brackets or hinges or other hardware.

Have someone inspect for the culprit while underway as slowly as you can get the noise to appear.
    I've seen latches for storage areas come loose, and simply need to be tightened with a screwdriver.

Comment

The spring loaded damper plates that join the engine to the trans on an inboard/vdrive all seem to need a little torque applied to them to take up the slack and keep from rattling. Some are quieter than others. My 196 is not the quietest at very low throttle.
      Shane Hill
      2014 Team 200OB
      67 '13 Prophecy

Comment

I used my boat lift and while the boat was out of the water i moved the prop back and forth.
        The noise is coming from the Strut. Could it be a bad bearing or loose bearing or possible alinement ?

Comment

Apparently this is a simillar problem some of us are experiencing: I too have that same loud gurrgling/marbely sound right on forward gear at the lowest RPM's only between 630-660 - right when i put the boat in gear, but dont give any gas. Dissappears as soon as I get the rpms up to 680. My dealer has not been able to diagnose or fix it yet - just says these Vdrives are a bit noisy. Thinking of taking my boat to another nautique dealer who may be able to fix this.

http://planetnautique.com/vb3/showth...with-SAN210-08

If you do get it looked at and fixed, please let us know, so I can give the details of the problem/fix to the dealer.
          Thanks.
          Migs

G21 - En route
          SAN 210 TE (Finally)
          06 Sky Supreme V220(previous)
          05 Sanger V210(previous)
          01 MC X1(previous)
          99 Air Warrior(previous)

Comment

Mine is a direct drive not sure if that makes any difference. I spoke to another club member who has
            a sn200 like mine and he said that his runs quiet. Im going to get the dealer to check it out in the next
            couple of weeks .

Comment

I had a rattle in the hinges for the soap box under the rear seat. Other than that, it's quiet. Was yours involved in the rudder box recall?
              Promo Team member
              1999 196
              2003 196 Limited 2003 196 Limited
              2008 196 Limited 2008 196 Limited
              2010 200 Team 2010 200 Team
              2011 200 Team 2011 200 Team
              2012 200 Team - 2012 200 Team
              2013 200 Team - 2013 200 Team
              2014 200 Team - 2014 200 Team
              2015 200 Team - on the way

Comment

Originally posted by ClemsonDave View Post
                I had a rattle in the hinges for the soap box under the rear seat. Other than that, it's quiet. Was yours involved in the rudder box recall?
                No recall cause my boat was just built approx 3 weeks ago and I received it on Friday. The noise comes right at the back of the boat not in the engine and I don't believe in the transmission. Im going to take it to the dealer in the next week or two. At least the sound can be heard right away every time. The dealer has another 200 at the marina so he said I can compare them. It really sounds like its in the strut bearing but my dealer said the sound may carry down the shaft. Im going to look deeper into this weekend I really did not have much time to check that out.

Comment

If anyone else with a sn 200 can let me know if there boat just in gear sounds smooth and fairly quiet that would be helpful. Will have to turn up the stereo till i get it over to the dealers!
                  The deal on the phone had told me that it would have a much loader noise then my 196 and i just could not
                  find that to be true. After haveing 5 new ski nautiques before this one it did not make sense!

Comment

update

My dealer this week checked my boat out. I was worried they would say the noise I have is normal.
                    However after the service Tech and Saleman drove it they admitted right away it does not sound quiet or
                    like any other one they have sold. They will contact PCM and CC this week and find out what can be done.
                    I believe its in the transmisson and it will need to be replaced. I will post on here in the next couple of weeks what I find out just incase someone else experiences this problem.

Comment

Solution

Looks like I may be the only unluckey owner with this problem. my dealer calle last Friday
                      and they are going to replace the transmission. Along with a plate whatever that is.
                      At least they are going to do the right thing and not mess with trying to repair it!
                      Other then that the boat has been awesome!!!

Comment

Funny thing is that when I heard a rattle noise the other day when I was backing off of the trailer my heart stopped and I thought of this thread. Then I realized my noise was the platform. Sigh of relief.

I am sorry you are having the trouble but glad they (CC) are making this right.

Comment

We had a transmission plate fail in our '88 Prostar durning the first couple of months we owned it. MC replaced it and it never gave us another problem. That boat is still on the water back where I grew up. On a positive note, it's always better when problems occur during the warranty period.
                          '08 196LE (previous)
                          '07 196LE (previous)
                          2 - '06 196SE's (previous)

Comment

Yes I guess its better it happens right away under warranty and I can get it resolves soon as possible.
                            On another note the dealer still has not supplied me with my new trailer. The one they use for the boat
                            does not fit proper and it has taken out the front skag 2 times!!!!
                            I touched it not realizing it and the dealer did it right after they replaced it.

Comment

Ouch, that can't be good. Did the skeg just bend or was it ripped from the hull at all? I'm assuming they're just brass so they take the punishment versus the hull?
                              '08 196LE (previous)
                              '07 196LE (previous)
                              2 - '06 196SE's (previous)

Comment

Working...
                              X