Changing out the seal on oil bath hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing out the seal on oil bath hubs

I recently picked up an 07 196 that came on a easy loader trailer with oil bath hubs. I have a slight leak on one hub. Anyone have experience swapping out the seal on one of these?
    2007 196 Limited Zero Off

RE: Changing out the seal on oil bath hubs

I think others have had issues with the oil bath hubs and have just switched them out to grease. It still baffles me that semi trucks use this technology and have no issues for a million miles or so and boat trailers seem to have many issues.

Comment

Re: RE: Changing out the seal on oil bath hubs

Originally posted by ffmedic74
      I think others have had issues with the oil bath hubs and have just switched them out to grease. It still baffles me that semi trucks use this technology and have no issues for a million miles or so and boat trailers seem to have many issues.
      Mine came with grease (09), I inquired and Ramlin told me oil baths were not worth the hassle.

Oil bath bearings and tires. Boat trailers seem to eat them both up and it makes no sense to me either.
      2018 200 Team H6
      2009 196 Team ZR 409
      2005 196 Limited ZR 375
      2003 196 Limited Excalibur
      1999 196 Masters Edition
      1995 ProStar 190 LT1 (Bayliner)
      1987 ProStar 190

Comment

RE: Re: RE: Changing out the seal on oil bath hubs

It all boils down to the quality and type of seal used as to how well it works. There are several lip designs for the seal that match the hub's bore that can be used. The other factors are bearing slop, aka how well they are adjusted and the seal jorunal it's self. I'm going to guess that it is leaking on the back side of the hub in your case?

Basicly you'll need to know the bore of the hub and how much depth you have for the seal then you can choose the best seal for the application.

I hear the clowns screaming all ready.. but the factory doesn't always use the best availible but enstead uses what meets the min spec requirements and that usually includes cost as well.

So long story short you can either tweek the current system and improve it's life or switch it out completely depends on how much you want to spend to fix it.

Comment

RE: Re: RE: Changing out the seal on oil bath hubs

At this point the leak is very slight. I like the concept of the oil bath and the ease of changing the fluid. I have a source for a new seal from the manufacturer so I will go ahead and order a new one. I have rebuilt plenty of traditional grease/buddy systems I am just curious if the oil bath are much different.
          2007 196 Limited Zero Off

Comment

Re: RE: Re: RE: Changing out the seal on oil bath hubs

Originally posted by TRST
            ..... I have rebuilt plenty of traditional grease/buddy systems I am just curious if the oil bath are much different.
            No...the major difference is the obvious. Everythink else is the same.

If your seal can go in in either direction, just be sure you get it right.

Comment

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Changing out the seal on oil bath hubs

I had the same issue with and EZ Loader Illusion trailer also. It was repaired twice by two different dealers and still leaked. I called EZ Loader and they sent me the parts to repair myself. Rather then just changing the seal there was another part they had sent me to make sure it didn't leak again, I can't remember if it was a sleave that the seal went on or what it was exactly but I did the repair myself and everything is great now. The guy at EZ Loader also told me they got away from the oil bath hubs and have changed to a new type that uses a grease that liquifies as it gets warm. If your hubs are drilled for a grease fitting from the factory than I believe it is as easy as removing an allen head screw and placing the fitting in there. I hope this makes sence. It took me about an hour to do the repiar.
              Current: 08 Super Air 210 Team
              Previous: 07 Super Air 210 Team
              Previous: 02 MC Pro Star 197

Comment

Guys I have heard that the reason oil bath hubs fail is from the heat. If you trailer any distance and get the trailer hubs hot and then dip them immediately in the water they cool too fast and all the parts don't expand or contract at the same rate thus sucking water into your hub when it instantly cools. I haven't had any problems yet with my illusion but I don't trailer but a few miles to the launch and we take a few minutes to get our gear in the boat before we launch. Does this make sense or sound like bs. A trailer repair guy told this to us while he was rigging a new hub on my buddies MC trailer when his oil bath hub went out.
                00 SAN 210 (previous boat)
                07 236 te sold

Comment

Well the hub really shouldn't get that hot unless something is not adjusted correctly or it's just way over loaded. yes it does make since about a hot hub being cooled quickly but the cooling effect would cause it to contract and the heat would make it expand so it might be a little loose at first then gets trapped.

Comment

Working...
                  X