Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecting iPod/MP3 to Clarion XMD-1

Default Connecting iPod/MP3 to Clarion XMD-1

Ok guys,

After some research, I couldn't believe that it was impossible to set up an input on the XMD1. I found a schematic and provided the information necessary to make it work. We have been using it since June, and it works like a champ! I will attempt to walk you through the setup as I have done it, and hopefully you can be enjoying lots of tunes...

First off, you will be interfacing to the CD Changer port. This is a goofy 13 PIN DIN, and these connectors are semi-difficult to track down. You can get one for 4.99 plus shipping from:
    http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...s/dinconn.html

Then you need to get out your soldering iron, hehe, and follow the schematic... I will try to tell you how this works if you aren't familiar with schematics...

Here is the schematic:

There are lots of ways to go about this, but I picked up a female headphone plug and matched up the tip pin (Right Positive) with Pin 8 on the 13 PIN plug, matched up the inner pin (Left Positive) with Pin 7 on the 13 PIN plug, and then matched up the innner-most pin (Ground) with Pin 6 on the big plug.

Then you need to wire up a simple switch (Single Pole Single Throw) to connect Pins 9 and 5 together. For the switch and the female headphone plug, just hit up your local radio shack and they should help you find what you need.

When you throw the switch on, it forces the head-unit into Accessory mode, and it should display ACCS.

You should now have auxiliary audio input through the new connector. YAY! I don't have to buy a new deck after all!!!

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

This is GREAT! I'm going to make one of these this week and try it out this weekend. Thanks for the information!

I'm going to attach another picture of the schematic because the one linked to above is being auto-resized by this site, and it isn't as clear as it should be. The one below is actual size, and might appear clearer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails schematic.jpg  
    2015 Super Air Nautique G23 Team Edition <-- Coming Soon from White Lake Marine!
    2014 Super Air Nautique G23 Team Edition <-- Current Boat
    2013 Super Air Nautique G23 Team Edition
    <-- Former Boat
    2012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition
    <-- Former Boat
    2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition
    <-- Former Boat
    2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition <-- Former Boat
    2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition <-- Former Boat
    2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition <-- Former Boat
    2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition <-- Former Boat
    1994 Ski Nautique <-- Former Boat

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.

NautiqueParts.com - Roswell - SeaDek - Hyperlite - Delta Propellers - Christine's Marine - SkiSafe - PTMEdge - Xtreme Heaters - FlyHigh

Need BOAT REGISTRATION DECALS or PLANETNAUTIQUE decals? Go here: http://planetnautique.com/decals
    http://www.hyperlite.comhttp://www.whitelake.comwww.nautiqueparts.comwww.roswell.com

You know, I just had a thought. When I first set this up, I didn't buy the big plug, I just used some hardcore wire and plugged it into the back of the deck strand by strand and was dissapointed when it didn't work. Then I realized that the schematic shows a MALE plug, and I was looking at the back of the deck at a FEMALE plug. So the pins are essentially "reversed", 1 becomes 4, 5 becomes 8, so on and so on. So I re-wired it knowing this and it worked great. That's when I bought the 13 PIN plug, so I could set it up permantly. So if you buy the plug, don't worry, you'll wire it up right, but if you don't, you have a chance of reversing it. Just a tip, just in case.

Have fun!

Nice Job. Thanks for the Info.

Does anyone know if this will work on the old style Clarion M5475 that came in 2000 model year Nautiques? I'm thinking it will since it is a c-bus compatible receiver. If no one knows for sure, I may have to try this anyway.
    2000 Air Nautique Powered by FORD <-- Former Boat

OK, I just built one.

I used a 13 Pin DIN connector $2.95, a 12' patch caple with stereo plugs $6.95, a 6 'section of two wire data cable $1.00, a micro switch $1.25, and heat shrink tubing $3.10 all sourced from Electronic Parts Outlet ( http://www.epo-houston.com/index.htm ).

I also got an extra DIN connector and switch so i could make a second if I needed to. If the first works fine, I will probably build the second, and give it away if it also works.

All the parts cost less than $18.00 after tax (for two), and took about 30 minutes to build one.

I will let you know if mine works after this weekend.

My fingers are crossed.

Default It works!!!

I just tried my home-made mp3 cable today, and I am happy to say that it works great. The sound is good, and it can be switched on and off at will.

I have some materials to make a second cable if anybody wants them. The wires are only about 3' or so give or take, so they might not be an ideal length, but it would be a good start. Everything shown in the second photo is what you would get, plus a 1' or so length of black heat shrink.

The first PM to me with an address and name gets it, FREEBE - NOTHIN - NADA. (Sorry watching too much monster garage)

When making the connections on the back of the 13 din connector, reverse the pins as shown on the photo above. The photo represents you looking at the front or radio side of the male din connector.

The first photo is the cable I made, note the small toggle switch at the end of the heat shrink. That is how it is switched from ACCS to regular stereo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc01249.jpg   dsc01248.jpg  

PM sent!
    2000 Air Nautique Powered by FORD <-- Former Boat

Nice to see someone else was successful.
    Used ours again this weekend and it worked great. I didnít have my digital camera with me so I donít have any picís of my installation. I drilled holes next to the deck and mounted the switch and jack similar to the new 05 picís of the SANTE on the web site. What would be even better is to find a jack that when connected would also connect the two pins the switch does now so anytime you plug it in it would switch to the ACCS mode automatically.

A&B

Blog Entries

I am still waiting on my cable to arrive, but I found a small black switch today that has a tiny blue LED in it that comes on when the switch is thrown. The blue LED matches the blue of the '03 Clarion remote display perfectly. I'm going to mount that on my dash next to the remote, and use an automotive-type iPod cradle to hold the iPod. I think it is going to work out really well!
    2015 Super Air Nautique G23 Team Edition <-- Coming Soon from White Lake Marine!
    2014 Super Air Nautique G23 Team Edition <-- Current Boat
    2013 Super Air Nautique G23 Team Edition
    <-- Former Boat
    2012 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition
    <-- Former Boat
    2011 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition
    <-- Former Boat
    2010 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition <-- Former Boat
    2008 Super Air Nautique 230 Team Edition <-- Former Boat
    2007 Air Nautique 236 Team Edition <-- Former Boat
    2003 Super Air Nautique 210 Team Edition <-- Former Boat
    1994 Ski Nautique <-- Former Boat

Need something for your boat? Please check out our site sponsors! Not only do they offer the best products available, they also support this site.

NautiqueParts.com - Roswell - SeaDek - Hyperlite - Delta Propellers - Christine's Marine - SkiSafe - PTMEdge - Xtreme Heaters - FlyHigh

Need BOAT REGISTRATION DECALS or PLANETNAUTIQUE decals? Go here: http://planetnautique.com/decals
    http://www.hyperlite.comhttp://www.whitelake.comwww.nautiqueparts.comwww.roswell.com