my girl won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my girl won't start

start my 98 Ski up at 10am, run around for 30 minutes to one hour with kids tubing and skiing and then after I shut the boat off for potty breaks(about 10 minutes) the boat won't start. Turn the key and I don"t hear the fuel pump selonoid kick in.
    I was told to switch the relays around and this worked once. Now this trick won't work and I even bought new relays and they wouldn't fix the problem. I really love this 98 SKI, but it is embarrassing. Any ideas ?

RE: my girl won

My last boat had a similar problem. Worked fine one moment and nothing the next. Eventually found out the connection between the battery cable and engine was so corroded there wasn't a connection. Cleaned it up and it worked fine. And my boat was less than a year old.
    2007 SV211 SE
    Tow Vehicle 2019 Tundra
    Dealer: www.Whitelake.com

Comment

1. Safety cord shut-off switch
      2. Big red breaker button by relays
      3 Do you have power everywhere else? Check battery if not.
      4. Ignition switch problem, is power getting to the relays?
      5. Sorry, but are you in gear?

There are plenty of causes but these are just a few things to check.
      How 'bout a little reverse action...

Comment

Last year, my friend's Pro Air had a similar issue. There was a pluggable wire that was loose but not disconnected at the connection below the fuel control cell. Took us a while to trace it to that, but it started right up after wiggling and re-seating the connection. We had gone though Squam's list before figuring it out.
        the WakeSlayer
        1999 Super Air - Python Powered <-- For Sale
        1968 Correct Craft Mustang

Comment

The problem may be you're using a tournament ski boat to pull tubes.

Comment

Re: RE: my girl won

Originally posted by SquamInboards
            1. Safety cord shut-off switch
            2. Big red breaker button by relays
            3 Do you have power everywhere else? Check battery if not.
            4. Ignition switch problem, is power getting to the relays?
            5. Sorry, but are you in gear?

There are plenty of causes but these are just a few things to check.
            Good post above. You really should check those items out.

Comment

Girl won't start? Do what Spitzer did and get a hooker :razz:

Sorry dude - I couldn't resist. My apologies in advance in the event that we are not allowed to say "hooker" on this forum.
              2003 SAN (current)
              2003 Chaparral 220 SSi (sold)

Comment

I vote with Hollywood on the tube issue....
                88 Ski Nautique
                99 Sport Nautique
                Currently - 07 Nautique 216 Team

Comment

Re: my girl won't start

Everyone had some good points. Let it sit for a couple hours and see if it will start. If it does you most likely have a bad acorn fuel pump (PCM RAO80018). This pump quits working in a heat soak situation, when it's defective. If this is the problem you have to repalce that pump. If the boat does not re-start tomorrow then check for an inline fuse on your positive battery cable very close to the battery. You could do this today. I'm refering to EFI motors if you are carb it's a whole different ball game
                  Hope this helps.

Mark Q

Originally posted by dusty72
                  start my 98 Ski up at 10am, run around for 30 minutes to one hour with kids tubing and skiing and then after I shut the boat off for potty breaks(about 10 minutes) the boat won't start. Turn the key and I don"t hear the fuel pump selonoid kick in.
                  I was told to switch the relays around and this worked once. Now this trick won't work and I even bought new relays and they wouldn't fix the problem. I really love this 98 SKI, but it is embarrassing. Any ideas ?

Comment

If you are already out tubing and from Michigan, It may be frozen!! Just kidding. :mrgreen:
                    2008 Super Air 210 Team
                    2004 AIR 206 Team
                    1997 Ski Nautique 196
                    1993 Ski Nautique SNOB

Don\'t let yourself get old and say, \"I wish I would have.........\"!

Comment

my girl won't start

Thanks for the point about the fuel pump. The boat "will" start in about 30 minutes or so. And will start right up the next day without any problems. Since the motor cranks, the battery would not seem to be the issue, I have power to the other accessories.
                      Is there any way to check the pump off the boat ? Resistance low ?
                      As for the tubes, gotta do something with the old guys - their legs are gone !

Comment

Relays..............
                        2008 Super Air 210 Team
                        2004 AIR 206 Team
                        1997 Ski Nautique 196
                        1993 Ski Nautique SNOB

Don\'t let yourself get old and say, \"I wish I would have.........\"!

Comment

Check at the battery there is a tube that holds a glass fuse. I was running double ups a few years ago in my 2000 super air and it would just shut down dead no power or anything. I wiggled some stuff around and it started again. this fuse holder just pops together no threads or anythin and over time it wiggled apart causing it to short and begin to melt. I soldered in a new one and never had the issue again
                          00 SAN 210 (previous boat)
                          07 236 te sold

Comment

Working...
                          X