Perko FlushPro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perko FlushPro

Just added a Perko FlushPro to my boat. No problem with the instalation but after I installed it and de-winterized my boat, I noticed several water leaks that weren't there before I winterized it. These are all fresh water leaks and the boat wasn't overheating. Am I running the water too fast? Has anyone else had this issue? I haven't put the boat on the lake and won't have a chance until this weekend to see if it does the same thing w/o the hose on it.

RE: Perko FlushPro

I never liked those things. It is almost as much work to take off the inlet hose and run an extension to a 5 gallon bucket of water with a hose in that instead. That way pressure isnt an issue and you can also tell if the impeller is working by itself instead of forcing water past it via hose pressure.

Comment

Re: RE: Perko FlushPro

Originally posted by TRDon
      I never liked those things. It is almost as much work to take off the inlet hose and run an extension to a 5 gallon bucket of water with a hose in that instead. That way pressure isnt an issue and you can also tell if the impeller is working by itself instead of forcing water past it via hose pressure.
      My sentiments exactly. Our water pressure at the house isn't outstanding. So I just fill the 5 gallon bucket and keep feeding it with a hose. I have about 3 feet of clear, flexible PVC tubing that I clamp to the transmission cooler, which has always been easier for me than removing the hose from the thru-hull fitting (or at least it was on my last boat).

Tadelfio, where are the leaks. From the flush pro where it connects to the hoses? Have you tried cranking down the hose clamps a bit more?
      1998 Ski Nautique (Red/Silver Cloud), GT-40, Perfect Pass Stargazer 8.0z (Zbox), Acme #422, Tunable Rudder.

Comment

RE: Re: RE: Perko FlushPro

I essentially made my own version of the perko using a PVC t-fitting and hose fittings. I used a simple brass garden house shutoff valve which I attach the hose to. It worked fine and I didn't see any leaks at all. Sorry, don't have a picture. I got the idea off of ccfan.

After reading what the other guys said here, I think I might go that route if I had to do it over again. Less chance of failures. I haven't run my boat in the water with the new setup. I'll keep a close eye on it early on to see how it's doing.

Comment

No leaks from around the flush pro itself. The leaks are coming from around the ledge of the water stainer( canister is seated properly and gasket is in good shape) another one is from around the barbs of the water stainer and another is coming from around what I think is the cold water for the shower coming off above the raw water pump. I tightened all clamps without slowing anything down. I reseated the canister and rechecked the gasket on the strainer. Still nothing. This is why I think maybe a pressure issue. I have really good water pressure at my house. The instructions on the perko say to run it at about 1/3 open. I did not exceed this and actually backed it down to about 1/4 and the leaks did not stop.

Comment

Does the perko flush kit allow water to drain out of the raw water pickup in the bottom of the boat? Or does a valve keep it from flowing that way? If so, then the pressure is probably the issue.

On my setup, there is no check valve. I'm just putting water into the line and before the engine is started it flows out of the raw water pickup. Once the engine is started, there is water flowing out of the raw water pickup, just not as much. The engine is sucking in what it normally does. The engine is getting what it needs (I'm pretty sure of this) because you can see water coming out of the exhaust and it maintains temp at idle.

Comment

It does not allow any water to go through the pickup. It has a valve that closes to direct the water toward the engine. I think it may be a pressure issue. I researched this device pretty extensively before I bought it but am finding that I may not like it as much as I thought. I may be taking it off and replacing it with a homemade job. Sounds like your setup may be working pretty well. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I bought this Perko, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP6
                and it works perfect!!!! NO leaks or anything. I turn my hose up full blast.
                Photo Album
                Ballast Install 1
                Ballast Install 2
                Amp Install
                PPass Install
                Alternator Install

Comment

Just an update. I got all leaks to stop. I replaced the water strainer completely (mainly because it just looked wore out). Then ran the boat and retightened all clamps. I only turned on the water about 1/3 to 1/2 and everything was fine. Then I headed for the lake. I had a blowout on the trailer 3 miles from the lake. Changed that and all was well. Launched the boat, finally got it to start (I think my starter relay is bad, just does a lot of clicking) The boat ran great. Purred like a kitten...... until..... I slowed down to less than 10 mph.. Then it started overheating, quickly. As long as I was going over about 10 mph temp would drop and stay between 160 and 180. This is where it always ran for this boat. Went to load up and it overheated at the ramp. I had to shut it down and float it onto the trailer. Sighhhh More frustrations.

Comment

tadelfio, this is probably a stupid question, but have you checked your impeller to make sure all your blades are intact to give you the proper water-intake pressure? One thing I noticed about my Flush-pro, is that its check valve to enusre that there is no water backflo is pretty darn stiff. I remember thinking that if your raw-water pump couldn't produce enough intake pressure to overcome it, you might have an issue with your engine starving for water thus overheating. ...just a thought, and you probably have already checked it.

Best of luck
                    Todd
                    Todd Aalbu
                    1999 SNOB
                    66.5" HO S2

Comment

Re: RE: Re: RE: Perko FlushPro

Originally posted by tadelfio
                      Just an update. I got all leaks to stop. I replaced the water strainer completely (mainly because it just looked wore out). Then ran the boat and retightened all clamps. I only turned on the water about 1/3 to 1/2 and everything was fine. Then I headed for the lake. I had a blowout on the trailer 3 miles from the lake. Changed that and all was well. Launched the boat, finally got it to start (I think my starter relay is bad, just does a lot of clicking) The boat ran great. Purred like a kitten...... until..... I slowed down to less than 10 mph.. Then it started overheating, quickly. As long as I was going over about 10 mph temp would drop and stay between 160 and 180. This is where it always ran for this boat. Went to load up and it overheated at the ramp. I had to shut it down and float it onto the trailer. Sighhhh More frustrations.
                      This is the exact reason I do it the way I said for the reason I stated :grin: It would have been found in the driveway instead of on the lake.

Comment

Re: RE: Re: RE: Perko FlushPro

Originally posted by tadelfio
                        Youre cooling system is sucking air. Go back and tighten down every single hose clamp from the water inlet to the RWP, using a 5/16 socket, not a screwdriver. Also put some muscle into tightening the strainer bowl. There doesnt need to be a visible water leak for it to draw air.

Overheating at idle = air leak.

Overheating at speed = RWP/impeller problem.
                        1990 Ski Nautique
                        NWCT

Comment

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Perko FlushPro

Thanks TRB, that helps me too with any future issue I may have (and we all know that the day will come!)

Todd
                          Todd Aalbu
                          1999 SNOB
                          66.5" HO S2

Comment

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Perko FlushPro

Thanks all for your input. TRB thanks a lot for your words of wisdom. I did not know that and it definately guides me in the right direction. I did replace the impellar at the same time as adding the flushPro but since last weekend, I have not tried to trouble shoot anything to see whats going on. Before I winterized last season, the boat ran like a champ. Since I put in this darn flush Pro and put the boat back in service... nothing but problems. I think that regardless of whether it is the culprit or not, I'm taking that thing off and replacing it with a new hose. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Comment

Working...
                            X