94 Sport- hesitation around 3200rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Sport- hesitation around 3200rpm

I just got my 94 Sport in Dec. and I have noticed a bit of hesitation around 3200-3300 rpm. It does it all the time. It comes out of the hole great but when it gets to 3200 rpm there is a slight hesitation (or loss of power) until I open up the trottle more and then it takes off. Has anyone experienced this or any insight???? Thanks

RE: 94 Sport- hesitation around 3200rpm

does it have the protek engine or the tb efi?

Comment

It has the ProBoss EFI

Comment

the TB fuel injection I heard was certian death. I know many have swapped the tb for a carb and been much happier. But just in case, check the distributor cap and rotor for wear and change the plugs if they are over 2 years old. Make sure the timing advance weights swing freely too and let me know from there.

Comment

I had a full service completed in dec 07 including plugs, belts, impeller,packing,oil & filter,tranny. I was told this EFI has had problems in the past. What should I look for in the Dist. Cap? What does the rotor have do to with it? What does TB stand for? Thanks for the insight.

Comment

TB is throttle body.

On the dizzy cap and rotor, look at the inside of the terminals. If ther is "excessive corrosion", get a new one but clean the terminals on the cap and the edge of the rotor regardless and see if that helps at all. I would start there because that is definately the cheapest thing to try.

Comment

I checked today...it is the protek efi. Do you think it could be the fuel?? I use regular.

Comment

I really dont think it could be fuel. Is the protek ignition still there or was the disrtibutor switched out. The protek ignition is nutorious for going out, that would be the next place to look.

Comment

the protek doesn't use a distributor.

Comment

No distributor like BC said!

With carbed versions of the Pro-Boss the Pro-Tech can be swapped out with a conversion kit, I believe the TBI is dependent on the Pro-tech so if you convert the Pro-Tech you will also need to do something with the throttle body. Does your problem get worse when it get's Hot? When mine failed it would not start when hot and the hesitation also occurred at or near WOT.

My guess would be it's your Pro-Tech Failing.

Call Discount Inboard Marine, they have the kits and Carbs or I have heard if you have a TBI motor you can still get a replacement for the Protech, run your issue past them and see what their thoughts are.

Comment

when I looked at it ...it did not look like a normal round distributer! It was a rectangle box. This sounds expensive???? any clue?

Comment

Yep, you have the protek ignition. I would guess it is failing. If I remember right it is about 400-500 for the conversion? Look at skidims website and check out pricing on it. Like quinner said, if you have a carb, it is a direct swap, if not you may want to consider going to carb.

I know it didnt use a dizzy, but I meant to say is the dizzy switched out for the protec.

Comment

A friend just finished the conversion on his motor. Changed from TBI + ProTek ignition to carb + distributor. With the TBI the rear two spark plugs were always wet and the motor did not run very well since new. After the conversion it runs flawlessly! A strong word of caution concerning the conversion kit from SkiDim: The instructions (from PCM) are so bad that they are worse than worthless. It took us two long days to do it and that was with a very knowledgable auto mechanic actually twirling the wrenches!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming. How is the cold start with the new carb and dizzy. One of the things I liked about the efi is that it always starts on the first crank after turning the injectors on 2-3 times.

Comment

I am curious, are replacement parts for the Pro-Tech ignition available for your EFI setup as rumored?

What did the guy's at DIM suggest was your issue / solution(s)?

You would think keeping the EFI would be your best option.

BTW, the ignition only upgrade on our carbed Pro-Boss was a pretty quick and painless install.

Comment

Working...
                              X